Anyone know about hedge trimmers?

Mississippi Bullfrog

We are moving to a rural location where the house is surrounded on three sides by a well established hawthorn hedge. It's about 6 foot tall and will need keeping under control.

I've used electric hedge trimmers but that's not an option with the size of this hedge. I need a petrol machine big enough to chop through some thicker branches but not too heavy as it's going to be a long job. I've looked online but if there's anyone on here who have any particular knowledge of anything to recommend I'd be grateful.

I already have a chainsaw by the way.

Don't discount electric!

My front garden and half the back is surrounded by very well established bushes and trees mostly 5-8' tall. I was battling it with a small and rather elderly trimmer and it was a right old chore.

I originally wanted a petrol trimmer but because the bushes and stuff are 4-5' deep in places, weight was important when trimming the top. Also, when you look at the specs, the electric ones are often capable of chopping through much larger branches.

I ended up with a long bladed Ryobi - I think it was £150ish and I whizz round the lot in no time now.

Petrol wise, I would have had to spend well over three times that to get the cutting capacity and it still would have been heavy.

Stihl are the go to trimmers for the purpose you describe.

Plus one to that - I have a lot of hedges and have “wasted” time & money on cheap to mid range petrol trimmers in the past👹

Although Stilh equipment looks expensive it’s well worth the initial outlay. Hawthorn is a barstool to cut back, so you need a good trimmer to start with

pay Some one to do it ..

is worth finding out if you have any reaction to Hawthorn ie allergies swelling pus ..

was a tree surgeon for 15 years and if i personally had a Hawthorn hedge i would happily pay Someone to endure that pain and weeks of digging thorns out of arms and hands.

pay Some one to do it ..

is worth finding out if you have any reaction to Hawthorn ie allergies swelling pus ..

was a tree surgeon for 15 years and if i personally had a Hawthorn hedge i would happily pay Someone to endure that pain and weeks of digging thorns out of arms and hands.

I too prefer the use of a gardener and point at it method. Worked everytime so far :wink:

My top tips for hedge trimming is be prepared to spend money- use a new razor (preferably a triple blade with a lubricated strip), a mild but good quality shaving gel/foam and don’t attempt anything elaborate after two or three gin and tonics :D

Thought we were discussing plants, not South American countries...... :shock: Anyway, your tip about the razor is spot-on - only thing is, it's my razor that always seemed to get used for that particular job......Nothing like staggering into the bathroom for a quick early morning grooming session with a previously pristine Wilkinson Sword and emerging 2 minutes later looking like you'd done ten rounds with Sweeney Todd.......dunno about a styptic pencil, some days I needed a bucket of boiling pitch to staunch the wounds..??

My top tips for hedge trimming is be prepared to spend money- use a new razor (preferably a triple blade with a lubricated strip), a mild but good quality shaving gel/foam and don’t attempt anything elaborate after two or three gin and tonics :D

Thought we were discussing plants, not South American countries...... :shock: Anyway, your tip about the razor is spot-on - only thing is, it's my razor that always seemed to get used for that particular job......Nothing like staggering into the bathroom for a quick early morning grooming session with a previously pristine Wilkinson Sword and emerging 2 minutes later looking like you'd done ten rounds with Sweeney Todd.......dunno about a styptic pencil, some days I needed a bucket of boiling pitch to staunch the wounds..??

It’s just taken my tired brain about far too long to figure out “South American countries” lol

Made even funnier by how long I’ve sat here looking confused :D

I remember a lovely quote from Ozzy Osborne who , when asked to describe Black Sabbath, replied " Four dickheads from Wolverhampton who couldn't get it together to prune a hedge " That's always stuck with me for some reason.

I remember a lovely quote from Ozzy Osborne who , when asked to describe Black Sabbath, replied " Four dickheads from Wolverhampton who couldn't get it together to prune a hedge " That's always stuck with me for some reason.

Careful.......you could get "Slayed" coming out with things like that.......Ozzy would be turning in his grave.....if he were in it yet.

• 9 months later...

I've had a 120 volt since we moved here, will be 30yrs in Feb this year. Have short cedar hedges around three sides of the house about 130 ft plus along the drive way of a detached garage about 20 ft. I've trimmed them 2-3 times a year with our B&D 18" HT400 Type 1 2.6 A 3300 CSPM like this https://prohomeandgardenreviews.com/best-battery-hedge-trimmer/ . Can't recall what I paid for it but I'd guess around $40 in 1986 dollars. Yup, I've got my moneys worth no doubt. Thanks.