New phone , confused

fastbob

Ok so I've finally got round to ditching my beloved Windows phone and I've replaced it with a MotoG6 . It's going to take me a while to get used to it . The things that are bothering me most are Google and YouTube. With Google it's all the unwanted pop ups of shit that I have no interest in and the seemingly lightweight nature of the search results . All I want to see is a few lines of text so that I can choose which results to click on but I seem to get all kinds of nonsense and pictures instead . Is there a straightforward app for Google that's, dare I say it , old fashioned ? And as for YouTube it's much the same story . I can't seem to search for what I want without all kinds of suggestions and adverts . Also I can't see the "Related" button. So same question really, is there a no nonsense app for this as well . Finally, I've just had an email from PayPal saying that they've just given me 65,000 pounds which increases my total balance to three million pounds. Of course it's bollocks and a scam so I deleted it but what have I done to even get such a message ? Any ideas or shared experience would be most welcome . At the moment I feel as if the more I explore this phone , the more I'm losing control of it .

I have the same phone but none of those issues. Which network are you with? Maybe it’s something to do with their settings?

Mine works pretty much the same as my desktop pc, iPad and Android tablet. The Google search results are identical. The only difference is websites default to a mobile format, but you can switch to the standard view if you want.

My guess is you’ve got something running in the background that is causing those issues.

Try installing the Duck Duck Go browser, that will stop anyone tracking your search patterns.

I have the same phone but none of those issues. Which network are you with? Maybe it’s something to do with their settings?

Mine works pretty much the same as my desktop pc, iPad and Android tablet. The Google search results are identical. The only difference is websites default to a mobile format, but you can switch to the standard view if you want.

My guess is you’ve got something running in the background that is causing those issues.

Try installing the Duck Duck Go browser, that will stop anyone tracking your search patterns.

Thanks for the reply,I think the issue is that my only web access device for five years has been a Windows phone and none of the apps for Windows have been updated for years so I'm just having an bit of a culture shock.

Thanks for the reply,I think the issue is that my only web access device for five years has been a Windows phone and none of the apps for Windows have been updated for years so I'm just having an bit of a culture shock.

I know what you mean. I went from a Windows phone to android and it took a while to get used to. However, having used Windows, Apple and Android I am firmly converted to Android systems.

21st century problems eh.. gotta love em.

My phone is a £9.99 Alcatel with buttons and is I think in its usual place and condition, A pocket in my rucksack, turned off.

Ludd is not my middle name, i just don't want to turn into one of those morons who spend all their time communicating and have forgotten how to communicate.

or watch where they're going.

Install the Microsoft launcher - it might feel more familiar to you.

I tried that on my last phone. It does make some MS applications more user friendly if your used to that platform but I didn’t like the way it overruled the Android launcher. It’s worth trying though, you can always go back if you don’t prefer it. In my experience, coming from a MS background and having all my files on Onedrive the Android system works very seamlessly with all my MS software.

Do you use a gmail account? I found Android works better when I allow my gmail settings to look after things.

Install the Microsoft launcher - it might feel more familiar to you.

I tried that on my last phone. It does make some MS applications more user friendly if your used to that platform but I didn’t like the way it overruled the Android launcher. It’s worth trying though, you can always go back if you don’t prefer it. In my experience, coming from a MS background and having all my files on Onedrive the Android system works very seamlessly with all my MS software.

Do you use a gmail account? I found Android works better when I allow my gmail settings to look after things.

I couldn't answer that question right now , I m so confused, my email is Outlook , is that Gmail as well ? Just asked Google for the news but I got Northern Ireland news then I got news hour but the bloody thing would not stop talking and I couldn't find any way to exit the thing . I'm reasonably IT competent but this is just too many different things to learn at once . No doubt I'll get the hang of it but I don't want to develop bad practices from the outset.

You need to install outlook on your Android phone. Most of the ms software is available on Android.

Yes I have done . While I'm at it the main thing that is bothering at the moment is what the three symbols at the bottom of the screen do . Every time I look at anything I exit by tapping the circle symbol that takes me back to the home screen but if I tap the square symbol everything I have been looking at is still there . So presumably it's all using data . So I have to keep clearing everything individually or I can "clear all " which is a nuisance. Then if I go to Chrome everything is still there all over again and I have to clear all that as well . It feels like this phone is constantly setting me tasks . Every time I turn it on there are email alerts obscuring the screen for me to deal with. I'm seriously considering doing a factory resetting and starting again from scratch.

Stop clearing stuff for a start! Android work very efficient and only uses what needs to be used! Clearing stuff out of the memory will increase load the next time you open it and reduce battery life!

To go back you use the arrow normally on the left of the three buttons.

You will get used to how it works it takes time a bit like anything really.

And another bloody thing, why have I got a version of google that doesn't understand what I mean ? I'm very good at finding things out and choosing the right results to click on but with this I'm getting nowhere. What's with all the unwanted news articles and shit adverts ? I just want Google not a f*****g news story about Jonny Rotten . How do I get ordinary Google ?

Stop clearing stuff for a start! Android work very efficient and only uses what needs to be used! Clearing stuff out of the memory will increase load the next time you open it and reduce battery life!

Ok but what if I don't want to go back when I want to go on to the next thing ? Does this stuff eventually stop running or do I still have to clear it in the end . Are these open tabs or are they just like an audit trail ?

[mention]fastbob[/mention] - do you mean all that shite at the bottom of the google browser?

If so then I understand - I like google to be clean, not flashing up loads of stuff it thinks I want to see.

The good news is that you can turn it off!

Stick "chrome://flags/#enable-ntp-remote-suggestions" in to your chrome browser bar and select "disable" under the yellow highlighted bit.

You'll need to fully close chrome and reopen it for it to take effect.

Ok but what if I don't want to go back when I want to go on to the next thing ? Does this stuff eventually stop running or do I still have to clear it in the end . Are these open tabs or are they just like an audit trail ?

Just press the centre button the circle that should close it and take you back to home

The only time you need to close stuff is if you have finished in chrome and want to close that tab!

Apps are managed by android and knows when it needs to be running or not

Just press the centre button the circle that should close it and take you back to home

The only time you need to close stuff is if you have finished in chrome and want to close that tab!

Thanks Stu , that's actually what I thought at the beginning but a bloke at work disagreed and was most insistent that every tab was using data all the time . So do these tabs close by themselves after a time period has elapsed ?

Thanks Stu , that's actually what I thought at the beginning but a bloke at work disagreed and was most insistent that every tab was using data all the time . So do these tabs close by themselves after a time period has elapsed ?

Let's get the terminology right first Bob so not to get confused

Tabs are what's open in the browser

Apps are the programmes you are using so like chrome and Gmail etc

Apps may use data if the need to in the background like Gmail to receive emails but not a great deal

Apps will use memory in the background but it's managed by android to be efficient! It's more efficient to have them open in the background as it uses less power to open them when you need them

Let's get the terminology right first Bob so not to get confused

Tabs are what's open in the browser

Apps are the programmes you are using so like chrome and Gmail etc

Apps may use data if the need to in the background like Gmail to receive emails but not a great deal

Apps will use memory in the background but it's managed by android to be efficient! It's more efficient to have them open in the background as it uses less power to open them when you need them

That's right, so for example TMBF is a tab open in Chrome and it's also saved to my home screen for instant access so after I exit using the circle key it leaves a "marker" that shows when I tap the square symbol AND there is also a "marker" still visible when I tap on Chrome even when I have cleared all in the square symbol. But from what you are saying this is not a problem. Thanks again , it does make sense. So I was right to trust my intuition and wrong to ask some divvy at work.

Oh FFS now what have I done ? If I go to post pictures to TMBF all I get is camera , camcorder or files which is empty why can't I post a picture from my photo gallery any more ? Right, fixed that , I think.

camart1552221943023.thumb.jpg.6dac5b83d22059512a1feede48cc43fa.jpg

a couple of weeks ago I bought a new Huawei p smart phone and its a long time since I last bought a new phone and I cant help feeling that I have gone a bit overboard with it seeing as im not on the internet and I only make and receive calls and text :roll: do you reckon I should have got an ordinary one instead of a smart :?:

I got given a Motorola G5 as a cheap phone for work, couldn’t get on with it at all, found it really fiddly and awkward and asked them if I could just put the sim in an old phone of my own instead, I think a lot of it is just what you’re used to though, I found switching from Blackberry OS to Apple odd when I changed a few years ago but am so used to iOS now that Android seems harder to use, last Android phone I had was a Galaxy S2, so ages ago.