Noise cancelling headphones

Mr Fro

Has anyone got any experience of noise cancelling headphones/similar?

My office is quite noisy what with various tea slurpers and keyboard bashers in close proximity and my poor little brain struggles to focus on the stuff I need to do with all the extraneous noise.

Ordinarily I'd just bung some music on using my headphones but I find music distracting when I'm writing a report or something - I need quiet for the thoughts to mature and find their way to my fingers.

Therefore I want a way to block out sound as completely as possible and funky headphones seem like they might be an option. I'm willing to spend a few hunge if there is a wonder set but cheaper is better. :-)

Any info would be great as I don't think there's anywhere near me that has demo sets.

Cheers dudes!

So, not noise cancelling, but I pretty reliably go back to these.

Pretty cheap but good volume, sound quality and rugged. I normally have a pair in my rucksack, car glovebox, biker jacket and a pair draped over the PC at home.

I find they stay in place really well and don't ache in my ears when in for a long time or in under the helmet either, which I've had with other headphones in the past.

Actually using a pair to listen to music in my office at the mo and can't hear a thing apart from Green Day :mrgreen:

For noise cancelling I've tended to buy ones like these. I can't find the ones in particular I used to wear, but these are basically the same thing and still fit nicely under a helmet if you wanted to use them away from the office.

Hope this helps! :thumb:

Cheap at half the price, these can only be rocked by an ultra cool dude 😎 with added bonus of screaming “sod off I don’t want to talk to you” :D

https://www.screwfix.com/p/se1348-comfort-ear-defenders-29-8db-snr/41054

or bargain basement

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ear-defenders-27-6db-snr/6191d

Woops! Missed the bit about no music. My bad..!

Ok so these are my default in that situation. I buy a pack of like 50 sets (each in their own little baggy) and just keep a few pairs in my desk draws. :thumb:

61AnHLsXI-L._SL1096_.jpg

Equally I find that music with lyrics really distracts me, so I tend to either listen to game / film soundtracks or similar instrumental music.

I have a few playlists or saved vids on Youtube (each an hour or so long) that I put on when I really need to concentrate. More than welcome to send the links for some of these if you'd like :D

I can recommend Bose noise-cancelling headphones. :)

The over-ear types, which look like ear defenders, are very effective at blocking out noise once they're switched on.

Expensive, but very effective (and good sound quality if you're also listening to music).

I got Sony at some airport, not to expensive about 150 usd and with active noise cancelling is more than good.

For what ever u need , during the flight or in the office, I do use it at home just to irritate my wife

For listening to music I have these.

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-gb/headphones/px

You can vary the amount of noise that they allow through. So the aircraft setting is totally noise cancelling, office setting lets voice through etc.....

What about these? They are designed for sleeping in but they don’t play music but white noise like rain or waves and stuff.....

https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/products/headphones/noise_masking_sleepbuds/noise-masking-sleepbuds/buy.html?mc=05_PS_EE_PL_00_GO_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI--urnsL84AIVEed3Ch20zQQFEAQYASABEgKOGvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ooohh... Sleep ones! You may have convinced me on this one.. Though I will need to save for a little while :mrgreen:

I've used them while flying...... they work! Apparently my new Sena comms setup does it as well but not really played with it yet.....

More info here:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/audio/portable-audio/best-noise-cancelling-headphones-1280490

Not cheap, but what price sanity?

Funnily enough I was looking at that site yesterday. :-)

The the top ones are quite good value for money I think - I'd really like to try before I buy mind you...

B&O or Bose would be my preferred option as the sound quality is spot on - probably the closest place to try them is Lahndahn and I'm not really in the mood for a stabbing. ;-)

If you don't want to listen to music I don't see the point in spending a few hundred quid on *active* noise cancelling headphones - these have a microphone and issue an opposite sound wave to that of the ambient sound thus cancelling it out. I've tried these and you get heat you pay for - the £300 are worth it. But if you just wanna block everything out then use ear plugs.

- probably the closest place to try them is Lahndahn and I'm not really in the mood for a stabbing. ;-)

Cor-berlimey, Guv'nor, hold on to yer titfer! The stabbins ain't so bad, me old China, but the acid-flinging does get a bit tedious :roll: ....... Just don't go down on the old corn-fed and you'll be cushty..... :thumb:

If you don't want to listen to music I don't see the point in spending a few hundred quid on *active* noise cancelling headphones - these have a microphone and issue an opposite sound wave to that of the ambient sound thus cancelling it out. I've tried these and you get heat you pay for - the £300 are worth it. But if you just wanna block everything out then use ear plugs.

.... Pardon?

Not sure how all noise cancelling headphones work but the ones I have only actively cancel noise out when listening to music, pure bliss on a flight that’s for sure!