Teachers that make you want to vom just a little bit.

Slowlycatchymonkey

Hello

There’s one (or two) teachers at my sons school that are so negative and nasty judgey, totally clueless about the idea they’re supposed to be able to enhance and uplift the little darlings, they’re annoying and full of negative bile.

I have a few words reserved for the rudest one or two about their lack of care or ability.......

I’ve just finished laughing my head off, my son showed me his tube postings.

He can sing, just about, but what do you do with Mr Sincerity singing Lion King toons whilst generally being an arse? 😬😆😆

">

Let’s hear it.

The other side of the coin is those parents who abdicate all responsibility for their offspring and assume it is the state's responsibility to teach them manners, morals and even how to eat, never mind anything to do with the national curriculum. I can see why some teachers lose the plot. And then there's constant reorganisation by ministers in Whitehall who are clueless, constant underfunding and persistent sniping from all angles - if results go up the exams are too easy, if results go down teachers are to blame - and half the time the children who need it most never even make it into the classroom to begin with.

Our last school was a former secondary school pressed into use as a primary school. The difference in funding per head between a secondary pupil and a primary pupil is massive - but we're still meant to run the same decrepit buildings and deliver the results. A saving grace was that there was a funding stream that recognised oversized buildings so provided some kind of buffer for the budget - until that sneaky Mr Gove at a stroke just cancelled that budget coding so we lost a huge sum of money. Guess what - the school has been in a deficit ever since and is losing staff hand over fist.

The thing with education is you can commit your heart and soul to it and all you'll get in return is a kick in the teeth. This country will get the teachers it deserves - if we're getting bad teachers then there's a reason.

Don't talk to me about teachers. I have a teacher for a neighbour who has got the almightiest superiority complex and an even bigger sense of entitlement. Karma will get her in the end. :twisted:

I have to say that the teachers at my son's school are fantastic - really passionate about what they're doing, and with the patience of saints: I go in once a year to teach them about insects, and some of them are such malignant little bast*rds it's all I can do not to unleash my inner Gunnery Seargent Hartman:

"GET THE F*CK OUT OF MY CLASS, YOU SLIMY WALRUS-LOOKING PIECE OF SHIT! YOU DISGUST ME!" :shock:

As [mention]Mississippi Bullfrog[/mention] said, what shocks me is how little some parents invest in their kids: they teach them nothing, take them nowhere and do nothing with them. No wonder half of them are such morons. :roll:

The other side of the coin is those parents who abdicate all responsibility for their offspring and assume it is the state's responsibility to teach them manners, morals and even how to eat, never mind anything to do with the national curriculum. I can see why some teachers lose the plot. And then there's constant reorganisation by ministers in Whitehall who are clueless, constant underfunding and persistent sniping from all angles - if results go up the exams are too easy, if results go down teachers are to blame - and half the time the children who need it most never even make it into the classroom to begin with.

Our last school was a former secondary school pressed into use as a primary school. The difference in funding per head between a secondary pupil and a primary pupil is massive - but we're still meant to run the same decrepit buildings and deliver the results. A saving grace was that there was a funding stream that recognised oversized buildings so provided some kind of buffer for the budget - until that sneaky Mr Gove at a stroke just cancelled that budget coding so we lost a huge sum of money. Guess what - the school has been in a deficit ever since and is losing staff hand over fist.

The thing with education is you can commit your heart and soul to it and all you'll get in return is a kick in the teeth. This country will get the teachers it deserves - if we're getting bad teachers then there's a reason.

Hmmm maybe. Never say that in the NHS. You try your arse off with no return but....

mainly good people trying hard.

I did say they were a tiny percentage. A tiny pointless percentage but all the same- are you saying don’t know an authoratarian who needs a tinsy winsy kick somewhere it hurts? Or a poor teacher that maybe should have a wee look at themselves?

We have a "lecturer" at uni who is a fat, lazy arse head who has landed up in education merely because he has an interminable lack of ability to perform any other meaningful task.

He had the audacity to mark me down on my grammar in my last assignment - all he did was run it through an American spell checker. He did not like being corrected on his error.

My uni had a turnover of >£40M last year with a profit of £12.9M and this is all they can manage. :roll:

Slightly :offtopic: but we had a history teacher at school (all boys grammar) who suddenly disappeared one day. About a week later in school assembly the head got up and although he didn't say why he left, he made the very strong point that it absolutely was not because he was a paedophile...

Eh, I remember awful teachers when I was in school and by that I mean bullies who seemed to get off on their power trip over the kids in their class.

However, I also remember just how awful friends and I could be in some of the classes and I really cringe now.

Effectively I can easily see both sides, I can see teachers who joined the profession with the best intentions who ended being ground down over time by a myriad of things and now are jaded and don't give a flying f**k.

I also think that (like most other public services in the UK) teaching has seriously born the weight of austerity, with teachers having to buy their own class supplies, while taking more and more work home each night with no improvement in pay and standards.

Equally I do think there are people in the profession that know they can't be sacked, cos the school is struggling enough to retain the current staff, never mind hire more. So they reign supreme in their class, enjoying seeing just how far they can needle each kid until they rage out and then gleefully send them to detention / suspension etc, all the while making little notes about the kid to make parent - teacher night that much more hellish!

I've always said I could never be a teacher, I would change that now to the stance that I would consider teaching at a university because I know the people there at least have something to lose by not concentrating in the class, but college / high school / primary is Not a Chance in Hell.

Mind you, looking at some of today's future tax payers, it must be very difficult to educate pork.

What makes you think some of these people will pay tax or put anything at all back into the system , ever .

Mind you, looking at some of today's future tax payers, it must be very difficult to educate pork.

What makes you think some of these people will pay tax or put anything at all back into the system , ever .

I think I'm being a little dense here. Would either of you be able to clarify who you mean by 'future tax payers' or 'these people' ?

I can't quite narrow it down on my own!

I think I'm being a little dense here. Would either of you be able to clarify who you mean by 'future tax payers' or 'these people' ?

I can't quite narrow it down on my own!

Smithers used the blanket description of the population below working age in education " Future tax payers " I was merely pointing out that within that section of society there will be a sub set who for one reason or another will never pay tax . Like these young chaps for instance .

mag-1313406194.thumb.jpg.d02e481401ebbb555faeeec21903c95e.jpg

Edited by fastbob

I've always said I could never be a teacher, I would change that now to the stance that I would consider teaching at a university because I know the people there at least have something to lose by not concentrating in the class...

Don't bank on it: I used to teach genetics and statistics to biomedical students and wouldn't have trusted half of them to make a cup of coffee. I also used to teach on the human anatomy course, and before a lesson in which they'd be drawing and annotating the internal organs I removed the pancreas from the model torso and replaced it with a pool ball I'd found in a box under the bench. Half of them drew it and labelled it. :shock:

I haven't got the patience to deal with that level of stupidity on a daily basis.

• 3 weeks later...

Who'd be a teacher .... You can discipline the shites no more .

I teach math's GCSE and A level. It is more difficult than many people realise. Students walk out of class because they can; fail to turn up because they can; sit on their phone and even swearing, shouting abuse at teachers because they can.

When I say 'because they can' I really mean because we can do nothing to stop them. I am not allowed to remove them from the classroom; if they do not turn up, it's my fault; if they turn up but leave early, it's my fault; hell, if they swear at me, it's my fault. I once accidentally touched the back of one girl's head with my elbow and she screamed 'pervert' at me and reported me! Nothing came of it but that's not the point! Parents have relinquished disciplinary responsibility but in many cases it's because they are no longer allowed to discipline either.

Education should start at home and basic number theory is a given. I once had a student whom when asked 'what is eleven subtract three', reached for her calculator! :shock:

And don't get me started on the 'look how many holidays we get!' I teach in a college now and I get none of the normal half term and long summer break as holiday. I book holiday time during non term time seven weeks a year but start at 7:30 in the morning and am often preparing or marking till midnight. I m a qualified teacher so earn a reasonable salary but it isn't the 'walk in the park' many think it is.

Who'd be a teacher .... You can discipline the shites no more .

I teach math's GCSE and A level. It is more difficult than many people realise. Students walk out of class because they can; fail to turn up because they can; sit on their phone and even swearing, shouting abuse at teachers because they can.

When I say 'because they can' I really mean because we can do nothing to stop them. I am not allowed to remove them from the classroom; if they do not turn up, it's my fault; if they turn up but leave early, it's my fault; hell, if they swear at me, it's my fault. I once accidentally touched the back of one girl's head with my elbow and she screamed 'pervert' at me and reported me! Nothing came of it but that's not the point! Parents have relinquished disciplinary responsibility but in many cases it's because they are no longer allowed to discipline either.

Education should start at home and basic number theory is a given. I once had a student whom when asked 'what is eleven subtract three', reached for her calculator! :shock:

And don't get me started on the 'look how many holidays we get!' I teach in a college now and I get none of the normal half term and long summer break as holiday. I book holiday time during non term time seven weeks a year but start at 7:30 in the morning and am often preparing or marking till midnight. I m a qualified teacher so earn a reasonable salary but it isn't the 'walk in the park' many think it is.

You've highlighted some of the reasons I'm leaving it so soon (main reasons are massive organisational dysfunction). The pupils are also not expected to take any responsibility. It's all about bums on seats because that's money to the college. If a pupil fails to do any work I'm expected to lay on extra sessions in lunch time and at the end of the day to do everything to get them a pass.why? They've taken no interest, produced little work and what they've done is shite but heaven forbid they have to learn that that means they will fail.

You've highlighted some of the reasons I'm leaving it so soon (main reasons are massive organisational dysfunction). The pupils are also not expected to take any responsibility. It's all about bums on seats because that's money to the college. If a pupil fails to do any work I'm expected to lay on extra sessions in lunch time and at the end of the day to do everything to get them a pass.why? They've taken no interest, produced little work and what they've done is shite but heaven forbid they have to learn that that means they will fail.

I've got six academic years left till I retire ... assuming we haven't raised it from 66 years old then, so I'll just suffer it out!

My brother works in a college, and a few years ago he was giving me a guided tour of his department when we came across a bunch of feckless teenage tossers who clearly thought we were both staff. My brother asked them a perfectly civil question and the cheek they gave him was unbelievable - they thought they were completely untouchable. I stepped forward and said "Lads, he works here - I don't. Now you can either do as you're told, or I can kick your f*cking balls." The pair of us are 6'2" and when I get annoyed I have what my wife calls "the look" which has the effect of making people disinclined to f*ck around with me, so they scarpered pretty sharpish. :D

I really need to try it on the VAT man...

See when I was at school once you were post-16 if you didnt put in the work or failed to turn up you werent really nagged about it, other than to be told that you may as well expect a fail. Obviously the school (i did A levels) would prefer you to get at least a C but their words were 'if you want to be an adult we will treat you like one' and that included learning about responsibility for your own study and whether you pass or fail.

See when I was at school once you were post-16 if you didnt put in the work or failed to turn up you werent really nagged about it, other than to be told that you may as well expect a fail. Obviously the school (i did A levels) would prefer you to get at least a C but their words were 'if you want to be an adult we will treat you like one' and that included learning about responsibility for your own study and whether you pass or fail.

In my view post 16 should be dealt with like this now. Unfortunately, the success of the education provider has little to do with the student's success these days. It is predominantly about about funding and less about results. If they don't turn up, college looses the funding - bad college. If they turn up all year but fail, college gets funding and a pat on the back for good attendance and retention!