Cyclists

manxie49

Now I'm not anti-cyclist, I ride one myself, however after having my car damaged last year by a cyclist undertaking me on the left, failing to stop and even apologise and leaving me to foot a £350 repair bill, I'm all for what this guy is saying ....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/peer-wants-number-plates-for-cyclists-after-attack/ar-BBVndn6?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

Now I'm not anti-cyclist, I ride one myself, however after having my car damaged last year by a cyclist undertaking me on the left, failing to stop and even apologise and leaving me to foot a £350 repair bill, I'm all for what this guy is saying ....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/peer-wants-number-plates-for-cyclists-after-attack/ar-BBVndn6?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

I agree, to an extent. But what is the cross over? Would a 5-year-old kid riding on the path with stabilisers alongside their parents need to have number plates and insurance? Sounds like a daft idea. So if you say well people riding slowly on the path? Then that drives cyclists off the road where they should be, onto the pavement where they shouldn't.

You have every right to sue a cyclist (or pedestrian for that matter) that causes damage to your vehicle.

What you have described is no different to a car making off without stopping I'm afraid.

The reason motor vehicles require at least third party insurance is because when they do cause damage it's often a lot higher than many people can afford to pay.

And before anyone asks, yes I do have third party cover on my bicycle, it's £1 million and given away for free as part of many cycling memberships because the actual claim rates are exceptionally low.

i haven't got any cover for mine, but most of my cycling is mainly off the road, as i use it when i go fishing, either on the river banks or canal towpaths, sometimes local ponds,

I agree, to an extent. But what is the cross over? Would a 5-year-old kid riding on the path with stabilisers alongside their parents need to have number plates and insurance? Sounds like a daft idea. So if you say well people riding slowly on the path? Then that drives cyclists off the road where they should be, onto the pavement where they shouldn't.

Totally agree with what you're saying, I think it would have to be looked at pragmatically, using common sense, there is definitely an argument for more cycle lanes, but when you say that you often get hit with a counter argument of "who's going to pay". The cyclist that hit me wasn't a kid, and he knew full well that he was in the wrong which is why he took off without stopping .... makes reporting him pointless and trying to claim against him impossible, he can't be identified.

You mean more cycle lanes which involve the narrowing of roads, which cyclists don’t use and stay on the road anyway, the narrowing of which results in not being able to overtake them, no thanks.

To be fair I get why they don’t use them, they’re not swept, you get punctures and they’re often not flat, don’t see the point in putting any more like that in.

Separate cycle that are well maintained would be the best answer but unfortunately never likely to happen.

You mean more cycle lanes which involve the narrowing of roads, which cyclists don’t use and stay on the road anyway, the narrowing of which results in not being able to overtake them, no thanks.

To be fair I get why they don’t use them, they’re not swept, you get punctures and they’re often not flat, don’t see the point in putting any more like that in.

Separate cycle that are well maintained would be the best answer but unfortunately never likely to happen.

From my experience you struggle getting past them anyway! I was stuck in a backlog of traffic only three days ago, group of about eight cyclists with a line of cars half a mile long trying to overtake them safely :-x But you are right, well maintained cycle ways are never likely to happen, we have one over here and as you point out they don't use it anyway. I cycle but I don't use the roads, I only use green lanes and tracks, roads are to busy and on the tracks I can fall of in private :D

Not going to happen .. there is a desire in government to encourage cycling as a "green" form of transport .. number plates , insurance and all the expense and registration requirements would kill that off .. if it gets to the commons.. it will be talked out ... since there will be no government support..

Requiring cyclists to have licence plates seems a reasonable suggestion - and I say that as a cyclist myself. I get fed up with the anti-cyclist lobby who lump all cyclists together because the facts are that there are good cyclists and bad cyclists - so I'd be happy to display a licence plate on the grounds that doing so would help weed out the bad cyclists.

On the other hand I think it is in everyone's favour for better cycles lanes. In Chester, where we recently moved from, the council proclaimed it was a cycle friendly city because they'd converted miles of pavement into cycle lanes. But they skimped on it so whenever you came to a busy junction they just ended the cycle lane, often with a kerb difference that was dangerous, and put cyclists back into the main traffic flow. That attitude is endemic across the country. When I rode Lands End to John O'Groats there were very few sections of cycle path that were actually usable.

The flip side of the coin is to then also prosecute all those motorists who pass too close and who edge into the cycle section at traffic lights.

The snag is to make it work it needs some serious money spending and local councils just aren't that flush at the moment.

Nah , it would be completely unenforceable . The Police are stretched beyond breaking point already without having to chase around after unregistered bicycles.

Yeh the kids should have the same number plate as thier parents and they should be insured on the parents insurance ,so the parent is responsible , or the kids should ride it in the park and stay in the park on it .

Yeh the kids should have the same number plate as thier parents and they should be insured on the parents insurance ,so the parent is responsible , or the kids should ride it in the park and stay in the park on it .

What if the parents don't cycle? I wish I had an answer to this but I don't, I don't think there is one. The trouble is cycling blurs the lines between pedestrian and road user. If I ride, I ride exclusively on the road, that's because I am on a road bike and go at speeds of between 15mph and 30mph depending on inclination. If I were to do those speeds on the pavement or even on shared use areas I would endanger people on foot. There is everything from the 5 year old with stabilisers upto and beyond me so where do you set the cut-off and how do you enforce it.

Point taken ... but you don’t see many 5 year olds out on the road jumping lights or threatening other road users,if the parent don’t ride a bike the kid should still have a number plate that goes back to the parents .

No all they need to do is every cyclist over the age of 16 MUST have insurance and number plates .ALSO must pass a cycling test

For one I think is daft that you can walk into a shop buy a bike and go out on to the main road AND EVERY ONE else is responsible for your safety. The cyclist hits your car the cops will be all over you like a donut tax mot.. insurance .. was you looking where your going was you speeding we you on your phone are you drunk. Cyclist sod all .

They want to use the road and be treated the same then they pass a test .insurance .and number plates . On monday we was driving round a roundabout and a cyclist was behind me the lights went to red and I stopped he didn't there was plenty time to stop no just went thro on red I pressed the horn and he turned round and gave us the finger. The lights changed an he was going the same way as me .As we went passed my wife shouted at him that twats like you give cyclist bad name .. i was quite happy to run him over ...tosser .

So want to be treated like the rest of us then

Over 16 need insurance . test . And number plates the government can make money off them which is some thing I don't understand as they screw us over at evey chance yet this money making plan nothing.. .

The flip side of the coin is to then also prosecute all those motorists who pass too close and who edge into the cycle section at traffic lights.

REALLY let's fine the motorist who has passed a test . Got insurance .has a number plate .who has as much right to be on the road as any cyclist who does not have any of the above.. why should drivers have to follow a law on the roads when cyclists who want as much right as driver DONT .

The times iv been stuck behind a cyclist or group of them with bikes that go up Everest but at the last second swerve in to the middle of the road WITH OUT LOOKING to miss a drain cover .

I used to do a lot of cycling on and off road and charity rides . Bad cyclists get on my tits need to be banned off the roads . Just the same with drivers abide the laws

I have seen sime kind of request / law ? That says that when overtaking a cyclist you should leave a minimum of 1.5M

However I have seen nothing that says a cyclist should leave the same gap when overtaking / undertaking.

Talk about double standards !!

I have seen sime kind of request / law ? That says that when overtaking a cyclist you should leave a minimum of 1.5M

However I have seen nothing that says a cyclist should leave the same gap when overtaking / undertaking.

Drop an orange on a bowling ball and observe the result.

Drop a bowling ball on an orange and observe the result.

You're welcome.

Or if you want an alternative thought experiment.

Next time you're at a train station, look for the solid yellow line near the platform edge.

CM1rLAjWIAAwNsc.thumb.jpg.6107da761bea383a3d34e3b8e3a8a9b5.jpg

When a train pulls in to the station and people are getting on to it, walk in the space between the yellow line and the platform edge.

Now wait for a fast moving train that isn't stopping to come through the station. Walk in the same space and observe the feeling and sensation as it blasts through.

Drop an orange on a bowling ball and observe the result.

Drop a bowling ball on an orange and observe the result.

You're welcome.

never keep oranges anywhere near bowling balls.. and bowling balls should stay in the bowling alley and not try to mix with oranges....

The 1.5 meter distance is because Cyclists regularly swerve without checking what's behind them.

If Cyclists would do simple life saver checks there wouldnt be a need for a 1.5m rule.

The train platform photo demonstrates this perfectly. People are allowed to stand less than half a meter away from a speeding train, but motorists have to give a wide berth to wobbly unpredictable Cyclists.