Headlamp repair

Phooey

Ok, for you knowledgeable car mechanics ... Have you ever managed to repair a break this bad?

I can't find the plastic lens part (they are available, just can't find one) and I am reluctant to spend £130+ on a complete unit if it's not necessary.

Your thoughts guys and gals!

IMG_20190420_093332.jpg.2f433ea133cfede62d4094cddb79366d.jpg

If you try gorilla glue be careful as it expands when drying! You don't need a lot of it. I found out the hard way :oops:

Cheers Tiggie. I might need to find a way to fill the hole at the top first so I might try clear silicon first Gorilla if that doesn't work, then polish.

Get a bit of flexible clear plastic and glue a stick to it. Push the plastic through the hole and pull the stick to hold the plastic on the back of the hole. Glue the plastic in place before filling with silicone.

Get a bit of flexible clear plastic and glue a stick to it. Push the plastic through the hole and pull the stick to hold the plastic on the back of the hole. Glue the plastic in place before filling with silicone.

Excellent suggestion. Thank you Joeman!

It's never going to look great because the dirt appears to have got into the crack and can you get the water out ? I'm thinking breakers yard or eBay would be the better option .

Bought the £20 one TimR.

Can't go wrong at that price. I can buff the haze!

Cheers for the link. I've been searching ebay for days and came up with nothing that cheep!

It's never going to look great because the dirt appears to have got into the crack and can you get the water out ? I'm thinking breakers yard or eBay would be the better option .

I would have had to get the dirt out somehow. The water is easy. remove all fitting and gently direct a heat gun at the lens. The water will evaporate and leave the unit via the holes where the bulbs go. But I would have to deal with the nasty crack and dirt!

I'm going to buy a second hand one.

I would have had to get the dirt out somehow. The water is easy. remove all fitting and gently direct a heat gun at the lens. The water will evaporate and leave the unit via the holes where the bulbs go. But I would have to deal with the nasty crack and dirt!

I'm going to buy a second hand one.

Quite a few on eBay at around £80 .

I had the adaptive headlight fail on my Audi a few months ago. When the car was due an MOT I decided to fix it.

Massive job. Front bumper off, headlight out, then had to perform keyhole surgery on the sealed headlight to fix the very thin broken wire.

See if you can spot the broken wire..

SmartSelect_20190421-174331_Photos.thumb.jpg.41c085a840339ee5029ba620762b6fa9.jpg

I had the adaptive headlight fail on my Audi a few months ago. When the car was due an MOT I decided to fix it.

Massive job. Front bumper off, headlight out, then had to perform keyhole surgery on the sealed headlight to fix the very thin broken wire.

See if you can spot the broken wire..

SmartSelect_20190421-174331_Photos.jpg

Well, if you are going to hide it, Joe. Hardly a fair test is it? :lol: :lol: :cheers:

All the wires are black.. situated deep inside the headlight and very difficult to access as the headlight can't be dismantled.

Here's the broken wire..

Screenshot_20190421-214907_Chrome.thumb.jpg.33cf8b0b6d34bd2f3d59f6d2fd4aebca.jpg

I managed to soldered an extra bit of wire and saved myself over a grand for a new headlight