Road kill

Bender

Following on from a read of knob of the day, what have you killed/seen killed on the roads, people don't count as that's disrespectful to them even though I have a few of those too, obvs seen not caused.

Ullapool eating chips in the car admiring view, cat runs over Road and meets with car tyre which instantly squashed the rear of the cat to the road, it tried running round and round in a very small circle whilst screaming like only a soon to be dead thing could, I was just about to put it out of its misery as there was no chance of resurrection not even if it was called lazerus.

I like to think the bin waggon driver thought the same because just as I got out of the car it got a six wheel send off, tranquility was returned and the chips were still hot, the cat was very very thin.

I ran over a cat about a year ago, it was looking to cross between the traffic on a country lane and must've been confused by a motorbike - it tried to run underneath the K100 but of course got run over by the rear wheel. I saw it in the mirror with its tail flailing around and figured it'd probably be alright, cats are tough, but it was dead at the side of the road when I passed it going home.. Closer inspection shows it would've been clattered by the centre stand at 40MPH before being run over.

Kind of oops, but I was also very glad it didn't run in front of the front wheel!

Many years ago one of my mates chopped a really expensive Persian cat in half with his Fireblade when it ran out in front of him in Macclesfield. He said he was pulling fur out of his chain for days afterwards.

Coming home from squires one night we was "tootling" down the m62 and my mate hit a cat!! where it came from we don't know!

He said it was like hitting a brick in the road!

He had all fur cooked on to his exhaust and took him weeks to get off!

In the works van......a small dear on the M11 near Stansted..

It jumped the central barrier strait into my path...

Looked in the mirror to see it tumbling along the hard shoulder.

Dead or not....don't know :oops: :(

Unfortunately these things happen, a bug that gets splatted on your lid has the same right to life as every other creature on this planet, just it's not fluffy and cute.

I'm prepared to make a distinction between a bug and a cat, even if it isn't very Buddhist to do so. Yes, it happens, but it would have an impact on me if I did it.

Your not killing cats , don't worry , unless it's used 8 and if that's the case they should be useing zebra crossings .... they've only got thier selves to blame .

Unfortunately these things happen, a bug that gets splatted on your lid has the same right to life as every other creature on this planet, just it's not fluffy and cute.

I'm prepared to make a distinction between a bug and a cat, even if it isn't very Buddhist to do so. Yes, it happens, but it would have an impact on me if I did it.

See this is the problem, people's perspectives, I find vegetarians that eat fish odd, mostly they don't belive animals should be farmed and killed on demand for the needs of human consumption , yet they are happy for fish to be dragged out the water and be left to drown.

Wonder how they would feel about drowning cows.

I'm not having a go either I just find the whole human condition amusing.

I get the having an affect too, I had to kill a seagull when I was a child, I didn't like doing it but it was like the cat, non recoverable.

Edited by Bender

See this is the problem, people's perspectives, I find vegetarians that eat fish odd, mostly they don't belive animals should be farmed and killed on demand for the needs of human consultation, yet they are happy for fish to be dragged out the water and be left to drown.

Wonder how they would feel about drowning cows.

I'm not having a go either I just find the whole human condition amusing.

I get the having an affect too, I had to kill a seagull when I was a child, I didn't like doing it but it was like the cat, non recoverable.

A lot of people struggle with this and I guess we all respond to the demands that we place upon ourselves. There's no reason why these demands should be consistent from person to person, as our values as individuals are going to vary.

I was vegetarian for six years earlier in my life and people told me I wasn't a proper vegetarian because I wore leather shoes. However, I wasn't trying to comply with anyone else's belief system, just my own, so their opinions didn't matter to me.

I killed Bambi

A few years ago on a family holiday on the west coast of Scotland. Set off home to Cov in the dark at about 05:00, travelling along a Military road, Bambi hurdled the Armco from bushes, no time to react and BANG ....... kids screaming / missus shook up I stopped and went back hoping it wasn’t in pain, luckily it was dead so I lifted back the other side of the Armco so it wouldn’t be a hazard ( bloody heavy ).

Then had to use boot laces to tie the front bumper and headlight in place ( still working ), kicked and bent the wing off the tyre.

Kids still upset and missus looking at me suspiciously, I drove really slowly to a garage in Helensburgh, bought a load of gaffer tape to get things sorted and it lasted until we got home.

Woman behind the till asked what happened, I told her and she was straight on the phone to someone telling them where to find it, so at least it didn’t go to waste.

This is what really sucks with roadkill, you can't legally take it home for yourself as you could be prosecuted for poaching, but anyone else not involved can take it away, stupid law imho, i could make a killing selling roadkill on the market :lol:

This is what really sucks with roadkill, you can't legally take it home for yourself as you could be prosecuted for poaching, but anyone else not involved can take it away, stupid law imho, i could make a killing selling roadkill on the market :lol:

If the missus & kids hadn’t been with me, Bambi would’ve been in the boot and no one any the wiser.

One day in the mid sixties, my dad drove me, mum and my sister back home in the family car late at night.

Speed must have been about 80 km/h when all of a sudden a big sow stepped right in front of the car out of nowhere.

The 'bang' was unbelievable, and the car was stopped within a few meters...

Mind you, no seat belts nor aibags in those days. But though we were all quite shaken, no one was harmed..

We got out of the car onto the dark road.

It was a '62 Skoda, and these eastern european cars were built like tanks in those days. Still it was badly damaged and a lot shorter than normal.

We never expected the pig to have survived, but it was walking about restlessly in a daze, grunting and limping and breathing heavily.

We did not know what to do about the pig and since the car was unusable, dad decided to walk to a farm a little further down the road for help.

At that moment lights went on in the farm and a little later a tractor came our way.

The farmer told us that the loud bang woke him up and that he already had telephoned the police.

After a while they arrived, and so did a butcher...

The farmer obviously had made more calls than one.

The sow was his, the farmer said, but he couldn't think how it got out of the field.

Apparently pigs don't swim so it would not have crossed the canals that border the field.

The sow, still alive though hardly moving by now, was immediately taken by the butcher to be butchered still that night.

It was still fit for consumption if butchered in time.

Nothing was wasted in the 60's...

Later we heard that the pig's ribs had penetrated it's lungs and it was slowly drowning in it's own blood.

Horrible... My sister and I were quite upset for a long time when we heard this.

The farmer figured that the sow must have jumped a 1,65 meter high gate.

He had moved her to the field, away from her piglets, that day and she had probably gone looking for them.

And even a high gate could not stop her... But unfortunately she found a Skoda on her way...

As the farmer was responsable, damages were paid by his insurance.

The car was a write-off and dad bought his long desired dreamcar; a Ford Cortina 1500 mk-I...

The moral of the story: Never drive on dark country roads at night in a Skoda !

:mrgreen:

One day in the mid sixties, my dad drove me, mum and my sister back home in the family car late at night.

Speed must have been about 80 km/h when all of a sudden a big sow stepped right in front of the car out of nowhere.

The 'bang' was unbelievable, and the car was stopped within a few meters...

Mind you, no seat belts nor aibags in those days. But though we were all quite shaken, no one was harmed..

We got out of the car onto the dark road.

It was a '62 Skoda, and these eastern european cars were built like tanks in those days. Still it was badly damaged and a lot shorter than normal.

We never expected the pig to have survived, but it was walking about restlessly in a daze, grunting and limping and breathing heavily.

We did not know what to do about the pig and since the car was unusable, dad decided to walk to a farm a little further down the road for help.

At that moment lights went on in the farm and a little later a tractor came our way.

The farmer told us that the loud bang woke him up and that he already had telephoned the police.

After a while they arrived, and so did a butcher...

The farmer obviously had made more calls than one.

The sow was his, the farmer said, but he couldn't think how it got out of the field.

Apparently pigs don't swim so it would not have crossed the canals that border the field.

The sow, still alive though hardly moving by now, was immediately taken by the butcher to be butchered still that night.

It was still fit for consumption if butchered in time.

Nothing was wasted in the 60's...

Later we heard that the pig's ribs had penetrated it's lungs and it was slowly drowning in it's own blood.

Horrible... My sister and I were quite upset for a long time when we heard this.

The farmer figured that the sow must have jumped a 1,65 meter high gate.

He had moved her to the field, away from her piglets, that day and she had probably gone looking for them.

And even a high gate could not stop her... But unfortunately she found a Skoda on her way...

As the farmer was responsable, damages were paid by his insurance.

The car was a write-off and dad bought his long desired dreamcar; a Ford Cortina 1500 mk-I...

The moral of the story: Never drive on dark country roads at night in a Skoda !

:mrgreen:

See, that's the thing. If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

This is a thread I should not have started to read through :crybaby:

I am now happier in my choice to have both mine as 90% house cats with roam of the back garden in good weather.

Once hit a pheasant and had a science lesson as I will now explain...

I nearly missed it, but it was clipped by an alloy wheel on the front right. It carried on running, but transitioned from a solid into a liquid :shock:

I'm not sure if near kills count, but for [mention]Gin[/mention]'s peace of mind here's a story with a happy end...

Many years ago I hit a rabbit (or hare) driving 100 km/h in my car.

It jumped from the bushes onto the road right in front of me, it had no chance.

I heard and felt the hit but I wasn't sure if it was dead. :shock:

So I stopped an got out of the car, shaken, trembling and praying it was killed instantly. :?

For if not, I would have to finish it with my swiss knife and I got sick even thinking about that.

It was laying by the side of the road, but when I started walking back towards it, it jumped up - at least 1 meter high - and took off into the fields. :scratch:

I examined the place but found no blood at all on the road... Nor on the car.

Cats are said to have 9 lives, but I'm sure they are not the only ones.

And I suspect that this lucky 'lagomorpha' used up 2 lives that day...

Many years ago my bro in law was driving his maxi to our house and decide to go over the mounting road . Where he hit a sheep my sis was in the car at the time and they both said it was like a bomb going off at the front of the car .. the sheep just got up and walked off .the car was fecked . So they left the car and walked to our house .stayed the night . Later on that night . The cops turned up at our door . The farmer had found the car . And his now dead sheep further down the road (something to do with the sheep don't die at the accident its happened later on ) . So the cops chatted to my bro in law .and said he needed to report the accident he had 24rs to do it from the time the accident .

In the end ... the car was written off .. my bro in in law had to pay the farmer compensation. Because it was common land and didn't need to be fenced in . So lost his car and had to pay for the sheep . ..

Naa he was well pi$$ed it was a fair amount of cash as well .that road even now is teaming with sheep I guess the farmer making good cash I mean if you had a load of sheep and you kept them on common land and they kept getting run over wouldn't you move the sheep to YOUR own land rather than just let them Rome free on common land and they kept getting killed.