Advice on socket sets

dynax

As above, looking at getting a socket set, ideally want to get a clarke set, i have a vat free shopping voucher, also some of their pro stuff has a lifetime guarantee, was thinking of this one, https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pro353-24-piece-12-drive-metric-socket-/,

i was also thinking about getting some paddock stands, https://www.machinemart.co.uk/compare-products/, as i can get 10%off other brands too,

any thoughts appreciated :cheers:

Look at the Halfords pro range as well. These have a lifetime guarantee and are usually on a sale offering.

Looks like they are called advanced range now.

Snap on? They do some offers and they are bloody good

I used to have a very comprehensive collection of snap on gear, till i got burgled and the lot was taken :twisted:

now i just get stuff that will do the job as cheap as possible,

Guest Richzx6r

I used to have a very comprehensive collection of snap on gear, till i got burgled and the lot was taken :twisted:

Bloody scrotes, I pity the clowns that try to burgle my place they wouldn't be leaving the premises alive

Bloody scrotes, I pity the clowns that try to burgle my place they wouldn't be leaving the premises alive

It was partly my fault :oops: , i was living in dodgy area, and i had a great job doing exhibition stands, really well paid, and every month i would buy tools and equipment, anyway, i bought a rolling cabinet from snap on with the tools, about 1.5k, most of the time it stayed at work, but one weekend i took it home to use on the car, stupidly i took it out of my van, and wheeled it around the back into the kitchen, i should have known better, i could feel the eyes staring at me, the next day went out for a couple of hours to get some parts, came back to a busted kitchen door, and virtually cleaned out of everything :twisted: :crybaby:

Guest Richzx6r

It was partly my fault :oops: , i was living in dodgy area, and i had a great job doing exhibition stands, really well paid, and every month i would buy tools and equipment, anyway, i bought a rolling cabinet from snap on with the tools, about 1.5k, most of the time it stayed at work, but one weekend i took it home to use on the car, stupidly i took it out of my van, and wheeled it around the back into the kitchen, i should have known better, i could feel the eyes staring at me, the next day went out for a couple of hours to get some parts, came back to a busted kitchen door, and virtually cleaned out of everything :twisted: :crybaby:

I'd have knocked on every single door in the neighbourhood and demanded to check out they're tools and if they had them cleave they're head open with them lol

I'd have knocked on every single door in the neighbourhood and demanded to check out they're tools and if they had them cleave they're head open with them lol

It was a very dodgy neighbourhood, give a wrong look kind of place,

Guest Richzx6r

But donny is such a nice area.... :|

You really have to think, what am I going to use them for and how often. It's very nice having a new and expensive socket set with life time guarantees and paying a small fortune for them. When in actual fact you may just use them once in a blue moon (if that). There are plenty of cheap sockets sets on the market that for amateur use are more than adequate. If there's one or two particular sockets you may use often such as removing wheel axel bolts then maybe just buy the quality individual ones you're likely to use. With the advent of the industrial revolution in China, the world is flooded with cheap tools of all sorts, shapes and sizes and some of them are pretty good especially for the occasional user.

Problem with cheap multipoint socket sets is that even with light use you only have to round one nut with a poor fitting socket to make you wish you hadn't bothered, Halford sets are nearly always on offer and are better than most cheap sets.

Problem with cheap multipoint socket sets is that even with light use you only have to round one nut with a poor fitting socket to make you wish you hadn't bothered, Halford sets are nearly always on offer and are better than most cheap sets.

Someone a tad wiser than me once said about buying decent (expensive) tools. "Buy once - Cry once."

I use a lot of halfords tools from the pro range and only had a problem with one socket that snapped! they swapped it without hesitation!

I use my tools a lot! and sometimes with anger :lol:

I also have some clarke pro range too without issues but they do have some cheap shite!

:stupid: I'd second that.

I've had plenty of cheap/bargain sockets n spanners which don't fit nuts n bolts properly or break.

I've also mullered a Halfords ratchet ( not the expensive range) and that was swapped without question.

Also avoid 12point sockets - they can round off tight nuts all too easily.

Someone a tad wiser than me once said about buying decent (expensive) tools. "Buy once - Cry once."

Until they get stolen, and then you cry again. Then you have to replace them, and cry a third time... :crybaby:

Guest Richzx6r

:stupid: I'd second that.

I've had plenty of cheap/bargain sockets n spanners which don't fit nuts n bolts properly or break.

I've also mullered a Halfords ratchet ( not the expensive range) and that was swapped without question.

Also avoid 12point sockets - they can round off tight nuts all too easily.

The answer is.....don't have tight nuts:)

But donny is such a nice area.... :|

It is compared to Harehills in Leeds :lol: :thumb:

Cheers for all your replies, what i think i will do, is get some individual 1/2 sockets and bars etc, and a basic 3/8 that i can add to if and when necessary :thumb: :cheers:

Until they get stolen, and then you cry again. Then you have to replace them, and cry a third time... :crybaby:

Well.. if you insist on living in such a high crime hot-spot as Harrogate. it kinda comes with the territory. Is living there so expensive you cant afford insurance?

What ive seen is that people with expensive tools.. especially Snap-On, use them as bragging rights. something they just cant resist showing off. and Its only a matter of time before the news gets into the ears of the wrong people. Which is why I recommend Bahco. only people who know about tools will even recognise the brand and who owns it. Plus a little detail thats quite important.. to some, where the steel comes from and where the tools are made. (and it aint China)