Selling a vehicle

fastbob

I expect everyone knows this but my nextdoor neighbor didn't and now he's right in the shit . When you sell a vehicle , as soon as you hand over the keys you get online and input the new keepers details . This is YOUR responsibility not the new keepers . My neighbor didn't do this . Instead he just handed over the V5 and kept the new keepers slip . Yesterday the Bailiffs were knocking on his door after £423 in unpaid parking fines and recovery fees. There's no getting out of it as far as I can see so I've advised him to pay it before they double it .

hes fooked and rather dim :roll:

Did he just ignore the parking tickets etc he must of got before it got to the bailiffs turning up ? or did he ignore them hoping it would just go away .

Guest Richzx6r

Online where to put what details??

You live next door to Bob then ?

I thought I was actually next door to Alice

Did he just ignore the parking tickets etc he must of got before it got to the bailiffs turning up ? or did he ignore them hoping it would just go away .

Actually he is rather dim , in fact learning difficulties would be an applicable term .

Didn't he post it off?

It's not his fault it was lost in the post and didn't arrive!

He gave the buyer the wrong bit .

I expect everyone knows this but my nextdoor neighbor didn't and now he's right in the shit . When you sell a vehicle , as soon as you hand over the keys you get online and input the new keepers details . This is YOUR responsibility not the new keepers . My neighbor didn't do this . Instead he just handed over the V5 and kept the new keepers slip . Yesterday the Bailiffs were knocking on his door after £423 in unpaid parking fines and recovery fees. There's no getting out of it as far as I can see so I've advised him to pay it before they double it .

Actually, no he's not in the shit.

It's the driver that's liable for any parking tickets, NOT the owner and NOT the registered keeper (if different).

Best advice to him is let it go to court, but it must be routed through a county court, not a bulk centre.

If he can show he had sold the car - sales receipt, bank statement showing the payment, cancellation of insurance etc he'll be fine.

Debt collectors (who call themselves bailiffs or enforcement agents to scare us) have absolutely no powers unless they are allowed into your home.

Being devil's advocate, regarding the handing over of a vehicle, thing's have changed, once over the responsibility was on the new keeper to notify the changes, posting the v5 back to dvla, after filling it in, in this respect, he might not have known that for want of a better phrase, that the rules changed, and the responsibility was transferred to the seller, but at the same time, there must have been parking enforcement notices posted to him, which he should have dealt with straight away, after receiving the first one :scratch:

Guest Richzx6r

Actually he is rather dim , in fact learning difficulties would be an applicable term .

Is his name Tim?

Didn't he post it off?

It's not his fault it was lost in the post and didn't arrive!

He gave the buyer the wrong bit .

I think you misunderstood!

Can DVSA etc prove he didn't post it? Unless he has already admitted it of course

...and the real crime here is that any parking fine - whether council or private, is a civil matter and the courts systems can treat it like a criminal matter. It usually won't even be a real court - they hire a room in the court buildings, called a bulk centre, and hundreds of cases go through in a session, rubber stamped by an untrained/unqualified administrator.

To me, that's perverting the course of Justice.

Sorry, but I get a real bee in my bonnet over stuff like this - it's so massively corrupt and unfair to the liked of us who generally don't know about this scam or our rights.

He must have had the parking tickets arrive at his door why didn't he deal with them then .. also how long ago did he sell the car.. as the NEW driver tax insure not the car ?????? Also . Only the council or police you have to tell them.who was driving the car priveat car parks just contact them.by email or registered post saying you was not the driver of the car that day you have to find him /her and give them the ticket find and keep the advert for selling the car ... that's all you have to tell.them let them take you to court .just show the judge the receipt. Or email ..

As for the fines now .. the new driver is responsible.for these not the old owner .. just tell the scum debt collectors dont talk to me about some one else information braking the data protection act ..

Then remove the right of being on your property to them only a court order will alow the on your property.. make sure its stamped signed by a judge .

Yeah the seller gets the new owner to fill in his details on the V5. The seller then rips off the new owner slip and gives it to the new owner. Seller then sends off V5 to DVLA so he knows his details have been removed from that vehicle