Buying train tickets

Bianco2564

Looking at catching a train from Rugby to Manchester airport and checked out the Trainline and Virgin to find the prices are exactly the same,around £107 for the two of us.

We almost never catch any trains except to Birmingham or NEC, so a little bit green at it; my question is are there any other sites worth trying?

Car parking, fuel and tolls will be around £100 plus the 2.5 hrs of crawling up the M6 so thought I'd let the train take the strain.

Rugby is usually cheap to travel from. I usually go from rugby as it’s like £15 to go London compared to £100 from Leicester. You could try seeing the price from rugby to Birm New Street then New Street to Manchester, sometimes it works out cheaper (like buying tickets from leic - market harborough and then market harborough - London instead of leic - London direct

Rugby is usually cheap to travel from. I usually go from rugby as it’s like £15 to go London compared to £100 from Leicester. You could try seeing the price from rugby to Birm New Street then New Street to Manchester, sometimes it works out cheaper (like buying tickets from leic - market harborough and then market harborough - London instead of leic - London direct

To go from Birmingham New street to airport is another £90 :shock: Makes no sense.

And then would have to get to Brum, meaning two changes ,there and Crewe.

The £107 option is Rugby to Crewe, then change for the airport.

Guest Richzx6r

Why dont you go up on the bike.... easy peasy

With OH and 40kgs of luggage , don't see it myself . :D

I'm sure you could get 40kgs of luggage and the OH on the bike :thumb:

Having checked out several websites concluded its all a big fix, every single site is exactly the same price, £107.

Whatever happened to competition?

All proclaim to offer cheap tickets ,yeah right.

Why dont you go up on the bike.... easy peasy

With OH and 40kgs of luggage , don't see it myself . :D

I'm sure you could get 40kgs of luggage and the OH on the bike :thumb:

I'd spend the whole week on holiday worrying if the R1 would still be there when we got back :(

The reason for that is that all those sites track your searches so they know how to fix the price. It's like when you look once and it's £50, next time you look it's gone up to £60. But if you looked again from a different IP address it would still be £50.

If you're shopping around use something like DuckDuckGo browser to prevent your search history influencing the results.

I used Chrome to buy some ladders the other week, now every site I visit has adverts for ladders. I usually use DDG but I forgot I was on a different device.

The reason for that is that all those sites track your searches so they know how to fix the price. It's like when you look once and it's £50, next time you look it's gone up to £60. But if you looked again from a different IP address it would still be £50.

If you're shopping around use something like DuckDuckGo browser to prevent your search history influencing the results.

I used Chrome to buy some ladders the other week, now every site I visit has adverts for ladders. I usually use DDG but I forgot I was on a different device.

Tried duckygo and went onto Vigin website, it knew I was going from Rugby and the 9th September so that didn't work?

Have stopped faffing about and just booked it with Virgin. :D

Looking at catching a train from Rugby to Manchester airport and checked out the Trainline and Virgin to find the prices are exactly the same,around £107 for the two of us.

We almost never catch any trains except to Birmingham or NEC, so a little bit green at it; my question is are there any other sites worth trying?

Car parking, fuel and tolls will be around £100 plus the 2.5 hrs of crawling up the M6 so thought I'd let the train take the strain.

SPLIT TICKET , TRAIN SPLITTER etc I can't remember the exact name , I'll check it out later . When I went to buy my bike in Portsmouth the cheapest fare was listed as £97 but I got it down to £23 . You may have some extra changes but 75% off looks good to me . Buy online and just enter your code in the machine at the station to print tickets . My journey was Coventry - Euston , tube to Victoria and then on to Fratton in Portsmouth . Definitely worth a go . EDIT : TRAINSPLIT , that's the one I used but there are similar sites .

SPLIT TICKET , TRAIN SPLITTER etc I can't remember the exact name , I'll check it out later . When I went to buy my bike in Portsmouth the cheapest fare was listed as £97 but I got it down to £23 . You may have some extra changes but 75% off looks good to me . Buy online and just enter your code in the machine at the station to print tickets . My journey was Coventry - Euston , tube to Victoria and then on to Fratton in Portsmouth . Definitely worth a go . EDIT : TRAINSPLIT , that's the one I used but there are similar sites .

Tried that, had to go a week earlier as our return date is too far in advance.

Saving was £6 , so not worth it. :(

Ah well , that's understandable because it's based on unused seating capacity . Too far in advance and it's impossible to predict . I booked mine the day before but I was carrying a crash helmet and riding home on a new bike . I realize that it's taking a chance but did you consider buying one way then buying another one way when you want to come back again ? Why not buy a return ticket and then try TRAINSPLIT the day before . You can cash in an unwanted ticket but there is an " Admin " fee . It could still be cheaper .

Ah well , that's understandable because it's based on unused seating capacity . Too far in advance and it's impossible to predict . I booked mine the day before but I was carrying a crash helmet and riding home on a new bike . I realize that it's taking a chance but did you consider buying one way then buying another one way when you want to come back again ? Why not buy a return ticket and then try TRAINSPLIT the day before . You can cash in an unwanted ticket but there is an " Admin " fee . It could still be cheaper .

Two singles ,Rugby to Manchester airport is £105.

Two singles,Manchester to Rugby, £105.

Same journey with open return, £107; go figure :scratch: