Insurance Renewal

manxie49

Well it was that time of year again, did the usual shopping around and got what I felt was a really good deal from Bennetts, £145.00 fully comp, added on another £60 for legal expenses cover, EU RAC Breakdown, personal accident cover and helmet and leathers cover. Compared to what I've heard some people having to shell out I'm pretty satisfied, customer service was good as well.

The bike is garaged, fitted with an immobiliser and doesn't have any mods. I have full no claims and two advanced rider qualifications...I probably could off got better but I've used Bennetts before and they've always been pretty good....So that's me sorted for another year

I only pay £125 - All the above cover but... No Advance rider quals; New Harley; solo rider; retired.

:cheers:

Yer I knew I probably could have got better had I have shopped a bit more, it does cover me for commuting as well which is a bonus, who do you insure with?

Lucky b......s

I can’t get anything below 700 and that is considered lucky.

Last year was bloodsucking tears ripping 1700

Ok eu licence, no records in uk, ...........

:3some:

Lucky b......s

Heart goes out to you mate, my brother, who lives in Middlesex, was paying something like that for a CBR600, he said it got to the point where the insurance was costing more than the bike was worth

Lucky b......s

Heart goes out to you mate, my brother, who lives in Middlesex, was paying something like that for a CBR600, he said it got to the point where the insurance was costing more than the bike was worth

That’s the worst part, when I started to search for quotations hey were sky high from 16000 to 18000 practically worth of the bike. Than I start to call All companies but unfortunately you get to talk to computer or to telephone operator who used same shit application that I used online.

Then I was told than no one will accept to insure me.

Fortunately I managed to get in direct contact with underwriters and slowly step by step got that first year for unspeakable price.

Now it is still heartbreaking but manageable.

Hope that year after year will get to the normal human price.

my first ever insurance in 1966 cost me £3.50 for a year third party on a 1964 vespa 150

How things have changed .... I was 1yr old then, already dreaming of my first bike....

I only pay £125 - All the above cover but... No Advance rider quals; New Harley; solo rider; retired.

Yer I knew I probably could have got better had I have shopped a bit more, it does cover me for commuting as well which is a bonus, who do you insure with?

Bennetts :scratch:

Mmmm maybe its my occupation or the fact I use it for commuting, I've heard that working shifts pushes the premiums up?

I always, but always, do an on-line comparison then ring up my insurer and always get a reduction in the premium - Sometimes they can't match the lowest but usually they can get very close!

So for 15 minutes on line and a 10 minute phone call - You can save around £30 - £50 a time.

Worth the effort in my opinion.

8-)

Mmmm maybe its my occupation or the fact I use it for commuting, I've heard that working shifts pushes the premiums up?

Yup. I believe that to be true as Insurance companies calculate the risk based on the overall mileage you would advise them you plan to do per year, as the more miles you do the higher the chance of you being in a crash.

My insurance went up when I got my advanced qualification (only about £10) ... When I rang and queried it I was told I am now a higher risk because I am likely to be doing more miles!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

My insurance went up when I got my advanced qualification (only about £10) ... When I rang and queried it I was told I am now a higher risk because I am likely to be doing more miles!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Some companies screw people from all ends, I don't get much of a discount and have to shop around a bit but Bennetts are pretty good

Yup. I believe that to be true as Insurance companies calculate the risk based on the overall mileage you would advise them you plan to do per year, as the more miles you do the higher the chance of you being in a crash.

You're right .... did a bit of checking, shift work, occupation and commuting pushes the price up .... bigger risk apparently!

I just renewed it, actually starts from July 21, so now to the end of the month no more food for family, fortunately other bills are sorted, 1290 this year,

I did ask them if is the joke as I have superduke 1290, but they didn’t get it. :cheers:

I just renewed it, actually starts from July 21, so now to the end of the month no more food for family, fortunately other bills are sorted, 1290 this year,

I did ask them if is the joke as I have superduke 1290, but they didn’t get it. :cheers:

I would be rightly pissed with a renewal quote like that .... it would make me think that someone was being a joker with it being 1290! I'd be wondering if they got the cc mixed up with the premium :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

As my bike insurance is coming up for renewal and due to the positive recommendations for Bennetts in this post I thought I would give them a try as they are part of the Saga group who our car is with, and requested a quote. Competitive compared with my current insurer, almost £60 cheaper - but be very careful if you take your bike abroad quite a bit like i do.

Having contacted Bennetts customer services to check if their policies drops to third party only for the duration of the policy after 90 days as stated in section 5 of their policy document - see reply below

Subject: Re: I contacted your call centre today regarding an online quote and to...

Reply-To: Wayne from Bennetts <[email protected]>

Hi , my name is Wayne.

The EU cover is for a maximum of 90 days per period of insurance. Once the 90 days is up, there's no cover in place at all until the vehicle is back in the UK. This is something that has been confirmed to us by our panel of underwriters.

--

Wayne from Bennetts

My reply

Ok Wayne - but I suggest that your panel of underwriters consults the Motor Insurance Bureau, the Gov.UK website both of which confirm my interpretation.

As far as I am concerned draw a line under it. I don’t have to be insured though Saga.

Thanks for putting your company’s interpretation in writing it will make interesting reading.

So be aware that if you insured with Bennetts and go out of the UK for more than 90 days their interpretation is you will have no insurance cover whatsoever till you are back on UK soil :cry:

I've just renewed both bike and car insurance

I had to phone both because the renewal quotes were ridiculous!

Ended up paying £12 less than last year for the bike

and £120 less than last year for the car! :thumb:

As my bike insurance is coming up for renewal and due to the positive recommendations for Bennetts in this post I thought I would give them a try as they are part of the Saga group who our car is with, and requested a quote. Competitive compared with my current insurer, almost £60 cheaper - but be very careful if you take your bike abroad quite a bit like i do.

Having contacted Bennetts customer services to check if their policies drops to third party only for the duration of the policy after 90 days as stated in section 5 of their policy document - see reply below

Subject: Re: I contacted your call centre today regarding an online quote and to...

Reply-To: Wayne from Bennetts <[email protected]>

Hi , my name is Wayne.

The EU cover is for a maximum of 90 days per period of insurance. Once the 90 days is up, there's no cover in place at all until the vehicle is back in the UK. This is something that has been confirmed to us by our panel of underwriters.

--

Wayne from Bennetts

My reply

Ok Wayne - but I suggest that your panel of underwriters consults the Motor Insurance Bureau, the Gov.UK website both of which confirm my interpretation.

As far as I am concerned draw a line under it. I don’t have to be insured though Saga.

Thanks for putting your company’s interpretation in writing it will make interesting reading.

So be aware that if you insured with Bennetts and go out of the UK for more than 90 days their interpretation is you will have no insurance cover whatsoever till you are back on UK soil :cry:

Thanks, yes I seen this on the policy document, ok for me though, I've never been away for longer than thirty days so suits me fine, work always stops play so I'm lucky to even get thirty days away :thumb:

just renewed my van insurance I use it for work and transporting bikes over to the iom and accommodation when im over there, I got my renewal quote from my previous company and they wanted £580 fully comp so I thought I would try a comparison site and one of the companies would do it for £230 comp so I went with them it pays to shop around :D

just renewed my van insurance I use it for work and transporting bikes over to the iom and accommodation when im over there, I got my renewal quote from my previous company and they wanted £580 fully comp so I thought I would try a comparison site and one of the companies would do it for £230 comp so I went with them it pays to shop around :D

Did that quote come with all the extras that you had with your old insurer? Legal cover etc.? If so, well in there! :thumb:

It is advisable to shop around during renewal season, especially once NCD is obtained for that year.