Drink driving.

Smithers

This debate has been doing the rounds for years. I like a pint as much as anyone, I've even driven under the influence in the past. I really believe it's time for zero tolerance with alcohol and driving. The scientific evidence is now overwhelming over the dangers of drink driving, coupled with the rapid increase in motor traffic, it makes it harder to justify any alcohol in the blood.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7236619/Just-ONE-pint-glass-wine-make-unsafe-drive-Scientists-question-drink-drive-limit.html. What's the consensus on this forum?

I agree, some prescription medications should fall under the same banner, look how many people are now taking anti depressants long term, some of the side effects, depending on which ones their taking, affect cognitive function, even simple pain relieving drugs such a co-codamol, it contains codeine, in my opinion, just as bad as alcohol.

Guest Richzx6r

Personally I think you should be able to have a pint, I can have a pint and it doesn't affect my cognitive ability at all, that is at about pint 5 or 6 that I start feeling it so no I don't think it should be a zero tolerance

If you had one pint and then killed or seriously injured someone when driving home, I think you’d always be wondering if that one pint had made the difference.

I believe zero tolerance is the way forward, how many people actually know what they can drink and legally drive under the current law?

If you had one pint and then killed or seriously injured someone when driving home, I think you’d always be wondering if that one pint had made the difference.

I believe zero tolerance is the way forward, how many people actually know what they can drink and legally drive under the current law?

There is no definitive answer as alcohol levels vary with all sorts of factors. The issue is more how long after a drink as opposed to how much drink have you had, before you drive?

But it probably wouldn't be because you had 1 pint as with most people you aren't affected after one

Scotland has halved the limit and one pint would mean waiting a few hours before driving so as to be sure.

I think the problem with 0% is the next morning. Depending on what you had the previous day you could wake up feeling ok, but still, have a small % left in your bloodstream.

That being said I think there should be better guidance for people. I know everyone is different at processing it, but if they said something really conservative live 1 unit = 1 hour you can't drive for.

If I’m driving , no alcohol... simple .

I don’t think a lot of people realise about the next morning either, I don’t know the figures but I bet there a lots of people get done the next day after having a skin full the night before .

As with a lot of things the drink driving law had the right intention at the start, and has I'm sure saved a lot of lives over the years, BUT, the "puritans" have now gone away from the idea that people should not drive when drunk, to any alcohol is a mortal sin and anyone with a trace of the stuff when driving should be put to death.

I have always though the way this was brought in is very flawed. The same penalty for slightly over the limit as very over the limit, it should be a sliding scale and a mandatory 1 years ban for sleeping in the back of your car, if you have had a drink, is madness. If slightly over the limit you have less chance of a ban by driving home than sleeping in the car outside a pub. Madness!

Also in Scotland, where they have put the limit down, the accident rate is unchanged, this is because people under the English limit are not drunk so lowering has no safety affect at all, it just makes the puritans feel better.

If you want to stop accidents caused by drink driving you need more cops to enforce the law as it is now.

I very rarely drink so this has never been an issue for me but a good mate of mine likes a drink and he always says if you can’t afford a taxi home you can’t afford to go out for a drink

I'll drink one pint of beer with alcohol content of 4 per cent or less. I know that for me that amount is not going to register on a breath test if it's more than 30 minutes and won't show up in a pee test either. More than that and it's walk or public transport / taxi. Also I don't drink alcohol at all if I am on the bike. Non-alcoholic beverages only. Sigh.........

Personally I think you should be able to have a pint, I can have a pint and it doesn't affect my cognitive ability at all, that is at about pint 5 or 6 that I start feeling it so no I don't think it should be a zero tolerance

This is where having an alcohol limit falls down, everyone reacts to alcohol in different ways. I've no doubt lots of people can drive perfectly safe after a drink, but there's also lots of people who cant. I would just hate to come across the latter when I'm on two wheels.

The evidence would suggest otherwise, although we could all blether on about this till we're blue in the face, whether you feel alcohol affects your driving ability or not is subjective and dependant on many variables, one pint of normal beer is three units, stronger lager or beer increases that number. Personally, if I'm driving, the vehicle stays at home. The evidence would suggest that 2 units of alcohol increases reaction time by 0.2 seconds, again there are many variables to be taken into consideration, whilst some people may feel that this is also subjective there is research based evidence out there to support it. I respect anyones right to do what they feel is right for them, as for me, if I was to ever hit anyone, and god forbid I ever did, I would like to have a clear conscience that the one pint I had drank hadn't made that difference to my ability

https://www.the-alcoholism-guide.org/alcohol-driving.html

We have the highest limit for blood alcohol levels in the EU.

I think its an outrage that the EU have made us do this.. and after the glorious day we escape the shackles of slavery from our EU overlords.

we can do something about this. lets TAKE BACK CONTROL.

697122602_BloodalcoholEU.png.e5ed229d9a0b3338b8e145def3d61ea9.png

I had cousin who wasn’t sober for over 20 years, obviously alcoholic with capital A,

He newer scratched his car, but never, he sometimes couldn’t walk but he could drive the car without any accident

Probably would be different on motorcycle

In Mediterranean countries we are better drivers after few drinks, at least we believe that.

Now seriously as I am ship driver let put it that way in cruise industry deck officers/drivers, tolerance is 0 while on duty and 0.05 of duty. 4 hours before duty no more alcohol and of course even when u are allowed to drink that is one or max two glasses of wine.

And ships does not go so fast, 15 to 20 miles per hr. of course there are another reasons as well.

I participated tastings where making decisions and time needed to make decisions was tested sober and under influence of alcohol. Again talking about glass two or three no more and results were catastrophic.

All of tested people were delayed decisions and actions noticeably , immediately after first drink and after 2 or 3 it was much worse. Not only the time for reaction but decisions making went so bad.

And for the end lot depends on personality and attitude , lot of people become aggressive after drink or two and natural racers

For that reason I am for 0 tolerance

That doesn’t mean I will not have a pint :cheers:

0% alcohol is difficult to achieve

Many foods produce residual amounts, as per legitimate medications. I understand if you have thrush or other yeast infections alcohol can be detected

As with a lot of things the drink driving law had the right intention at the start, and has I'm sure saved a lot of lives over the years, BUT, the "puritans" have now gone away from the idea that people should not drive when drunk, to any alcohol is a mortal sin and anyone with a trace of the stuff when driving should be put to death.

I have always though the way this was brought in is very flawed. The same penalty for slightly over the limit as very over the limit, it should be a sliding scale and a mandatory 1 years ban for sleeping in the back of your car, if you have had a drink, is madness. If slightly over the limit you have less chance of a ban by driving home than sleeping in the car outside a pub. Madness!

Also in Scotland, where they have put the limit down, the accident rate is unchanged, this is because people under the English limit are not drunk so lowering has no safety affect at all, it just makes the puritans feel better.

If you want to stop accidents caused by drink driving you need more cops to enforce the law as it is now.

As I understand it if you fall asleep in the back of a car drunk , you can only get done if you have the keys in the car with you .

:popcorn:

As I understand it if you fall asleep in the back of a car drunk , you can only get done if you have the keys in the car with you .

:popcorn:

Surely you would have if you've managed to open the car door? If the key owner put you in their car and didn't take you home, they are not a good friend. :wink:

I'm pretty much teetotal these day (various reasons, some medical) however since I first past my driving test I have never touched alcohol if I wanted to drive within 12hrs. And if I was out all night, the following day I pretty much would right off as a no driving day. I do feel perfectly able after a pint, but I know that scientifically my reaction times will be reduced.

But as has been said, it's one thing to change the law. It is a whole other ball game to enforce it. And if laws are unenforceable, when why have them in the first place? :|

Now to play devil's advocate.

Then given modern measurements and ZERO tolerance after a bottle of wine and spirit over an evening of food would I be fit to drive the next day?

The next question has to be out of the accidents that happen how many where over the present legal level? Seems to me people who drink drive don't care enough about the present rules and will just carry on until caught. How often would lowering out alcohol limit actually make a difference?

Its a bit like speeding change the speed limit and some people still speed, change the rules on mobile phones and people still use them.

The nearest I get is a shandy at lunch time if I am nominated driver and driving home after food in the evening.

As I said my concern is the next day. No point changing rules if we cannot enforce what we have got.

Now to play devil's advocate.

Then given modern measurements and ZERO tolerance after a bottle of wine and spirit over an evening of food would I be fit to drive the next day?

The next question has to be out of the accidents that happen how many where over the present legal level? Seems to me people who drink drive don't care enough about the present rules and will just carry on until caught. How often would lowering out alcohol limit actually make a difference?

Its a bit like speeding change the speed limit and some people still speed, change the rules on mobile phones and people still use them.

The nearest I get is a shandy at lunch time if I am nominated driver and driving home after food in the evening.

As I said my concern is the next day. No point changing rules if we cannot enforce what we have got.

You're right people will always break the law if they think they can get away with it. It's the consequences if you're caught or in an accident or worse that has to be the deterrent I reckon.

I don't drink and drive! ever!

But I do like a drink :lol:

and I tend to drink quite a lot :cheers:

My problem with zero tolerance is that I'd never be quite sure

the next day.

Me having to drive to work on Sunday night shouldn't prevent me having a drink

on a Saturday!