Seriously?

MarkW

I have long believed that the HSE interferes with natural selection by protecting idiots from the sort of stupidity that would otherwise have long since removed them from the gene pool, and that as a consequence there is now far more idiot DNA in circulation than there otherwise would have been.

I see in the news today that a rail operator has been fined £1 million for not stating more clearly why sticking your head out of a moving train is a bad idea:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49016151

The family of the deceased said they hope that as a result of this fine "operating companies up and down the country will take their responsibilities to the travelling public more seriously." Well how about this for an idea: what if the adult travelling public took responsibility for themselves? Frankly, if you're the kind of dipshit who can't work out for yourself why sticking your head out of the window of a moving train might end messily, then no matter how much cotton wool the HSE try to wrap you in, somewhere out there is a Darwin Award with your name on it.

You know I have a lot of sympathy for EVERYONE else who was on the train that day, especially any one who is mental more vulnerable to the negative effects of seeing a persons head smashed open.

It's my same logic as not wearing a helmet on a motorbike, If you want to take that risk then I couldn't give a toss about your life, but I DO care about the other road users / pedestrians who have to witness the aftermath of your accident / death.

I have long believed that the HSE interferes with natural selection by protecting idiots from the sort of stupidity that would otherwise have long since removed them from the gene pool, and that as a consequence there is now far more idiot DNA in circulation than there otherwise would have been.

I see in the news today that a rail operator has been fined £1 million for not stating more clearly why sticking your head out of a moving train is a bad idea:

The family of the deceased said they hope that as a result of this fine "operating companies up and down the country will take their responsibilities to the travelling public more seriously." Well how about this for an idea: what if the adult travelling public took responsibility for themselves? Frankly, if you're the kind of dipshit who can't work out for yourself why sticking your head out of the window of a moving train might end messily, then no matter how much cotton wool the HSE try to wrap you in, somewhere out there is a Darwin Award with your name on it.

a few years ago there was always a sign above the windows stating passengers are requested not to put their heads out of the window, but exactly how many heads are the passengers expected to have :?:

Guest Richzx6r

Amen to that markw

Guest Richzx6r

a few years ago there was always a sign above the windows stating passengers are requested not to put their heads out of the window, but exactly how many heads are the passengers expected to have :?:

2 maybe 3 up here in t far north

Worth considering that the operator plead guilty very early on. The man is responsible for his own death, no doubt, but the operator had a duty of care under legislation that it failed, hence the fine.

How do you find a window on a train large enough to stick your head out of these days ? I actually used to really enjoy sticking my head out of the window especially on the West Highland Line .

The advent of modern civilisation didn't just bring us easy sedentary lives and Disney land, it had the knock on effect that it brought in a million new ways in which to die horribly. :shock: So I do see the point of HSE but agree it has flaws.

If you read the original story, he was a life long train fanatic, worked for the rail industry. People heard a loud thud, and found him lying on the floor, breathing, but bleeding from his head, having suffered a glancing blow from a gantry. This wasn't some random passenger leaning out to impress his mates, it sounds more like a guy who loved trains wanting to sneak a look outside the train for a view passengers don't get.

It's a common theme, knowledge in a specific area can lead to complacency, which leads to taking more risk. And cost this poor chap his life, rather than just a nasty injury.

The advent of modern civilisation didn't just bring us easy sedentary lives and Disney land, it had the knock on effect that it brought in a million new ways in which to die horribly. :shock: So I do see the point of HSE but agree it has flaws.

If you read the original story, he was a life long train fanatic, worked for the rail industry. People heard a loud thud, and found him lying on the floor, breathing, but bleeding from his head, having suffered a glancing blow from a gantry. This wasn't some random passenger leaning out to impress his mates, it sounds more like a guy who loved trains wanting to sneak a look outside the train for a view passengers don't get.

It's a common theme, knowledge in a specific area can lead to complacency, which leads to taking more risk. And cost this poor chap his life, rather than just a nasty injury.

Good post.

Report below. Interesting read. Definitely some culpability from the operator.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/59245646ed915d20f80000a9/R092017_170525_Balham.pdf

The gap between the window and the gantry:

YO1jBDn.png

The door and stickers:

tDCgVP3.png

Poor sod.

But that's why you don't stick your head out of the window of a moving train, isn't it? :scratch: Anyone who's been on a train - or even seen them - knows how close they pass by each other and to bits of rail infrastructure. And it's not as if the knowledge isn't transferable from elsewhere: My kids are 11 and 8 and they both know full well to keep their arms inside the car when the windows are down, and why.

Ultimately he died because he elected to stick his head out of the window whilst the train was still moving. It's unfortunate, but is it really anybody else's fault?

The gap between the window and the gantry:

YO1jBDn.png

The door and stickers:

tDCgVP3.png

Poor sod.

But that's why you don't stick your head out of the window of a moving train, isn't it? :scratch: Anyone who's been on a train - or even seen them - knows how close they pass by each other and to bits of rail infrastructure. And it's not as if the knowledge isn't transferable from elsewhere: My kids are 11 and 8 and they both know full well to keep their arms inside the car when the windows are down, and why.

Ultimately he died because he elected to stick his head out of the window whilst the train was still moving. It's unfortunate, but is it really anybody else's fault?

Of course you are right. He is dead becuase of his own actions, however, as intelligent as people can be the can also be incredibly stupid and quite often do things with out really thinking it through. We all know this, which is why it doesn't absolve the train operator of it's obligations under HSE legislation.

If the signage on that door wasn't so cluttered and displayed the correct warnings there is every chance the bloke wouldn't have poked his head out. Additonally, this door is mean't for guard use only. Govia ran this service without guards despite knowing that the line in question had structures that came so close to the trains. Look at the strike marks on the gantry from passing trains. Essentially, there was no need to run this carriage on that line. By doing so they put passengers at a forseeable (to them) risk.

In short: Govia new of the risks and didn't do enough to mitigate them. They admitted to this.

At least, that's how i interpreted the report. (Sorry edited, lot of duplicates in there and i knew i wrote this last bit twice but couldn't find it. :) )

Also, i notice the gap between the train and the gantry is only 12 inches, which puts my nob at risk if ever need a piss out the train window.

More signage please.

Someone died, someone is culpable.

The guy who died must take most of the blame and paid the ultimate price.

The train company also share the blame for underestimating the risk and likelihood of someone sticking their head out the window.

More stickers wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, if someone is inclined to hang out the window they will.

Take a look at the HSE reports on legal actions taken against company's after injuries or deaths in the workplace .It's an eye opener into the stupidity and carelessness of both employee and employer.