New York but what to do?

QBoiii

My wonderful missus has booked us a long weekend in New York for my 30th and we have absolutely nothing planned! Just the way I like it. No plans, nothing to go wrong! I'm in the RAF so as you can imagine absolutely everything is planned to death so away from work I like to be more of a free spirit. The only planned activity is a helicopter tour on the first day to do the tourist thing and see all of the sights in one hit, the rest of it is just free time.

Can anyone recommend any thing that is worth a visit whilst we are over there? I feel we've got to do the 9/11 museum, but other than that I'm not bothered by museums or art galleries and am mainly looking forward to drinking weak yank beer and tracking down all the restaurants from Man Vs Food!

Done the NFL at Wembley and thought it was rubbish, Baseball is just Rounders dragged out so we're looking at a Basketball game in Madison Gardens but other than that its all free time.

Find the right kind of micro-brewery beers and they're not weak horse piss. Can't remember any NYC ones off the top of my head but I seem to remember Goose Island IPA is in the area.

Where you staying and what do you like, I love ny 😁

They have a big flat top and a space shuttle on west side.

Brooklyn bridge that's worth a walk, staton island ferry is free way to wave at statue of liberty, financial district, battery Park, 9 11, new transport interchange, all down bottom end.

If you like exciting sports, New York has two NHL (Ice Hockey) teams - New York Rangers and New York Islanders. Get yourself along to one of their games and enjoy the speed, skill, violence and American razzmatazz !

Madison Square Gardens for the Rangers .....

There are two 9/11 museums... the one where the towers were and one half a mile away. It's smaller but incredibly impactive. For example .. they have the wallet and gun holder (as far as I recall) of a copper who retired on the day of the attack. They found those two items two years later and that's all they found of him...

It's a real reminder of what an event it really was.

Also, Ellen's Sardust diner was a laugh... the waiting staff are all aspiring Broadway stars and they sing the hits while you're eating. It's a 70's diner that hasn't changed to this day. I'm not a musical fan but it was good grub and a good laugh. You will queue to get in though.

Find Bryant's Park, a nice green space, a few streets from the Empire State Building. It has a few bars, stalls and games tables in it. And two streets away is Keane's, a steak house where all the presidents have eaten. It's not cheap, but the fillet steak I ordered was about the size of a shoe and so well cooked!

There is an Irish bar just round corner from 9 11, it was used by a lot of the rescuers and subsequent clean up peeps, but head 4 or 5 streets up on the left is patriot saloon proper cheap dive bar.

Century 21 is a great shop down there to send the Oh off to whilst you Errr sight see 😁

There are so many things to do and see you won't fit everything in.

Don't get cab from airport if you going jfk get air train then at end of air train buy week pass for subway from shop on left where interchange starts, subway takes you into nyc you can get off at forest hills and get a line to most parts, it's safe and no traffic jams and you can use it all day every day.

Some brilliant ideas guys thank you so much! I knew posting on here would be a good idea.

I never thought of Ice Hockey, thats a brilliant idea!

Where you staying and what do you like, I love ny 😁

We are staying at the Roosevelt, i know they love the forces alot more than over here so I blagged the military card and bagged a room upgrade, free breakfast and a bottle of champange on arrival! Winning 😁 Your air train and subway idea sounds perfect, thanks for that also! And the Irish bar.

The steakhouse sounds right up my street [mention]Moonraker[/mention]

Thank you to all of you for your ideas and things to do!

Sounds like you have it all planned out now. We'll done for getting the services benefits, you serve your country and deserve some recognition enjoy!

Thanks Mike! It is strange how differently its all seen. I was at the NFL at Wembley in the tickets for troops section and at half time they had a veteran amputee up in the middle and played the yank national anthem. 2 American chicks in front of us where stood and shouted "oh my god, don't you lot support your military?" to which someone told her to wind her neck in, she's in the military seats and we get stabbed and spat at over here :D :D