Foodbanks

Mississippi Bullfrog

Most of the volunteers at local Foodbanks are over 70 so they're losing most of the people who run it. Operations have been streamlined but for some people the Foodbank is needed now more than ever.

In some supermarkets shoppers have been taking things out of Foodbank collections :cry:

So good people - two things:

1. Please remember that the foodbank collection points are still open and need goods more than ever.

2. Many local foodbanks need younger volunteers. Particularly people able to deliver emergency food parcels to people who are isolated. I know we have some old farts on here (myself included) but we're still mostly in the age bracket younger than the volunteers who have had to stop working.

Hope no-one minds me posting this. I have more time available to me right now so I'm going to be delivering food parcels.

Do they do bog rolls at food banks?

If they can get it they give it to those who need it. It's mainly non-perishable food items and household necessities which is why people have been stealing from the Foodbank collections or not putting as much in in the first place.

I spoke to my mother yesterday and she said that Asda had "run out of toilet roll, and lettuce."

Necessity is the mother of invention, I guess...

:shock:

I spoke to my mother yesterday and she said that Asda had "run out of toilet roll, and lettuce."

Necessity is the mother of invention, I guess...

:shock:

I got lettuce but it was pre shredded. Very messy, I gave up in the end and used a cucumber

Guest Richzx6r

And potatoes......most frozen stuff

Its just ridiculous why people are panic buying

I can understand buying slightly more than usual but not that much more

I went shopping this morning all the shelves were virtually empty of tins,pasta, petfood and 1 packet of stuffing in the frozen section :shock: , if this keeps up i will have to go out and start shooting rabbits and pigeon and anything else that's edible just to feed the cats :lol:

Edited by dynax

To be honest Rich, what are people supposed to do if a whole family is in isolation? Rule out neighbours because most neighbours hate each other and their lives are incomplete if they're not spying on them on the internet and making trouble for them. Rule out family, not everyone has family that can help. Rule out supermarket deliveries because through their incompetence they've allowed shortages to happen. This could be the end of civilisation as we know it. :lol:

Edited by Smithers

Rule out supermarket deliveries because through their incompetence they've allowed shortages to happen.

I have to disagree here!

Its peoples stupidity that we have a shortage! they wasn't aware people was going to go stupid

Went shopping for my parents today and if that's not a labour of love I don't know what is. I f**king detest shopping! I've also decided that before you get the cold type symptoms this virus destroys your brain as it's the only way to account for the shortages of some things. It's mental.

Rule out supermarket deliveries because through their incompetence they've allowed shortages to happen.

I have to disagree here!

Its peoples stupidity that we have a shortage! they wasn't aware people was going to go stupid

Rubbish. They constantly monitor stock and can see in an instant what and how much is going out. The general public can't be trusted to be sensible and the supermarkets should have stepped in straight away with rationed items. Perhaps there's even greed on their side by wanting to sell stock quickly to make the books look good and a chance to get rid of dated stock.

To be honest Rich, what are people supposed to do if a whole family is in isolation? Rule out neighbours because most neighbours hate each other and their lives are incomplete if they're not spying on them on the internet and making trouble for them. Rule out family, not everyone has family that can help. Rule out supermarket deliveries because through their incompetence they've allowed shortages to happen. This could be the end of civilisation as we know it. :lol:

It's not incompetence but just a logistics issue. There's only so much stock that can be kept in store, and only so many lorries, drivers and staff to maintain these stock levels with people panicking. Throw into this staff being off work because they are either sick or scared and it's even more difficult. Also when the stock does come in they aren't doubling or tripling the price like some unscrupulous suppliers, especially online. Supermarket workers are up there with the NHS workers at the moment in my opinion.

Wouldn't have thought bog roll was particularly dated. Most people probably buy a large multipack every month or so. So when millions of people decided they needed to buy it right bloody now it wouldn't take long to clear stocks.

I have to disagree here!

Rubbish. They constantly monitor stock and can see in an instant what and how much is going out. The general public can't be trusted to be sensible and the supermarkets should have stepped in straight away with rationed items. Perhaps there's even greed on their side by wanting to sell stock quickly to make the books look good and a chance to get rid of dated stock.

They must fly the stock in straight away then :roll:

We have an asda just up the road from us thats constantly waiting for deliveries at the min because of this they dont have huge stocks in the back and each delivery has a bit of everything! as they need to stock all the shelves

I also know people that work in some of these shops and they are having extra deliveries to try and cope but as quick as they get it in is as quick as its going

believe it or not they can't just instantly limit people they have to get it approved! this is from people in the know

I have to disagree here!

We have an asda just up the road from us thats constantly waiting for deliveries at the min because of this they dont have huge stocks in the back and each delivery has a bit of everything! as they need to stock all the shelves

I also know people that work in some of these shops and they are having extra deliveries to try and cope but as quick as they get it in is as quick as its going

believe it or not they can't just instantly limit people they have to get it approved! this is from people in the know

Exactly incompetence at the highest level, nothing to do with the workers.

They are only waiting for deliveries because people are buying 3-4 times as much!

I was in on Tuesday at 12 and its usually dead yet every till had a queue more than halfway up the aisle with everyone having a full trolley!

People are buying it quicker than they can get it in! how is that incompetent?

You can't magic the staff to deliver it out of thin air and you can't predict people are going to be bell ends and buy everything!

I saw one women with 12 large bottles of long life milk! 12 bottles!! seriously!

They are only waiting for deliveries because people are buying 3-4 times as much!

I was in on Tuesday at 12 and its usually dead yet every till had a queue more than halfway up the aisle with everyone having a full trolley!

You can't magic the staff to deliver it out of thin air and you can't predict people are going to be bell ends and buy everything!

I saw one women with 12 large bottles of long life milk! 12 bottles!! seriously!

You're not reading what I'm posting. Supermarket chiefs were aware of what might happen before it even happened. They could have put restrictions in place to stop the fukwit public from buying all the essential stock in the first place. That's what I mean about incompetence.

You're not reading what I'm posting. Supermarket chiefs were aware of what might happen before it even happened. They could have put restrictions in place to stop the fukwit public from buying all the essential stock in the first place. That's what I mean about incompetence.

And as I have said I am led to believe that they can't restrict it as easy as that I have been told by someone who used to deal with this stuff it has to be passed/approved I wouldn't be surprised if its some stupid supermarket law

Our large tesco have limited folk to 2 items the same.

this made the wife smile as she got stuck behind a f**kwit putting 25 bags of flour in the trolly.

They had obviously missed the sign, but they had all the checkouts manned with item limiting grumpy staff and good on them.