Old home computer thread.

Bender

For those of us of an age where pc's hadn't been invented and every company who could solder was nocking out a home computer.

Split from the other thread as it had been contaminated with biscuits, luckily for early home pc's the Internet had not been invented, there were no cookies, you could dial into a bbs and telnet to it, I belive telnet ability is still buried some where in Windows 10

What did you start with, what was your favorite, how sad a geek were you?

Unfortunately I was a mega geek as I hadn't realised girls had been invented 😂

My first was an Amstrad CPC 464 with a colour monitor and a seperate disk drive :lol: :thumb:

Snap...

Then nothing until a Windows 3.1 laptop 15 years later...

After i left home is was probably 20 years before i got another computer which i think was a Viglen 486 with 3.11, then it was probably another couple of years after that when i built my first PC and ran Win 95 :thumb:

Disk drives and colour monitors you don't know you were born.

Cassette that's where it was at, first drive I ever saw separate was a hard disk drive on the BBC prog they had that plugged the BBC micro made by acorn

It was a winchester and was a giant box that had pathetic storage by todays standars,.

I had a Commodore 64 then was heavily into the Amiga scene of the early/mid 90s, owning 500, 600 and then modded 1200 models. Created a few games using AMOS too. In 92-93 I ran a games shop which specialized in imported consoles like Neo Geo, PC Engine, Super Famicom etc. I remember Jap copies of Street Fighter 2 flying out the door at £100! It was a short bubble but we made a huge profit before the SNES and Megadrive were released in the UK and the likes of Dixons took over.

Then I built my first PC, a 486 133mhz, 4mb of ram in 1995 which was enough to play Doom and Doom 2 at LAN parties, then many years of upgrades and online PC gaming ensued, spent years playing Counter Strike and Unreal Tournament.

I've had just about every console going, currently a Xbox One X. More of a casual gamer these days, love GTA online, RDR2 and currently Modern Warfare.

Guest Richzx6r

My first was an Amstrad CPC 464 with a colour monitor and a seperate disk drive :lol: :thumb:

:o not a colour monitor and a separate disk drive, you must have been very well off :P

Guest Richzx6r

First one was the zx spectrum then went on to the sega then the ps1,my dad has built a few PCs but right now I'm on xbox one not currently rich enough to build a pc

:o not a colour monitor and a separate disk drive, you must have been very well off :P

We were reasonably comfortable, old man worked for British Gas and was on a reasonable wage back in the 80's, and i had some casual work after school and during holidays :thumb:

Fast forward a lot of years and I couldn't do without my PDA's.

First one I had was a palm pilot. Can't remember model but it needed batteries that didn't last long :oops: got an upgrade to a palm 3 that I had for years before getting a Compaq iPAQ that had a colour screen and would let you watch videos on it :D

There weren't many games i enjoyed really, but one that did and still does which i play every now and then is The Settlers, i currently have Settlers 4 installed and play that if i get an hour or two :thumb:

The blood code for the mega drive :lol:

Though I was more a streetfighter 2 guy.

Going back a bit does anyone remember the dizzy games? You played an egg with feet that had to solve puzzles with objects to progress through each level

There's a website that has a collection of old dos games that you can download and play, some need an emulator like the amiga ones, but most will play and are free too :lol: :thumb:

I had an Atari st. Used to play games and make music with the inbuilt midi ports. Before that we had a Texas instruments ti994a. Find memories of going round friends houses and loading games from cassette. You'd put a game in to load then go do something enjoyable for 20minutes, come back, find it had crashed. Adjust the volume, rewind and try again.

Edited by goat

I had an Atari at. Used to play games and make music with the inbuilt midi ports. Before that we had a Texas instruments ti994a. Find memories of going round friends houses and loading games from cassette. You'd put a game in to load then go fo something enjoyable for 20minutes, cone back, find it had crashed. Adjust the volume, rewind and try again.

And what a noise from the cassette when you loaded games!