Glass coatings

onesea

Do the following damage coatings on glasses?

1. Anti-fog spray which you spray on your glasses after cleaning

2. Cleaning your glasses with washing up liquid and then leaving them to dry

3. Cleaning your glasses with shaving foam and then leaving them to dry

4. Anti-fog wipes

Now meant to wear masks at work all the freaking time. Not been needed since the beginning but now....

Luckily I don't need glasses to drive but I do to read the SatNav...

Or you can go to an optician because if your glasses are that damaged likely is that you are due a new appointment :)

Some coatings may be affected by strong detergents. I've damaged glasses by cleaning with washing up liquid but that's a while ago and over a long period of time.

To be fair I used neat washing up liquid rather than diluting it. But I found it did degrade the coating and made them prone to scratches. I use the wet glasses wipes now and they clean without damaging the surface.

When I first bought glasses with an anti-reflective coating I was warned to keep away from alcohol wipes (annoying because they work brilliantly..) but anything gentler should be fine.

When I first bought glasses with an anti-reflective coating I was warned to keep away from alcohol wipes (annoying because they work brilliantly..) but anything gentler should be fine.

Interesting as that's what I always use on mine, which have anti reflective coating. Doesn't seem to cause a problem. I went over to them as everything else I used ended up damaging the lenses. I do them every morning as I hate marks on the lenses.

Do the following damage coatings on glasses?

1. Anti-fog spray which you spray on your glasses after cleaning

2. Cleaning your glasses with washing up liquid and then leaving them to dry

3. Cleaning your glasses with shaving foam and then leaving them to dry

4. Anti-fog wipes

Now meant to wear masks at work all the freaking time. Not been needed since the beginning but now....

Luckily I don't need glasses to drive but I do to read the SatNav...

To avoid fogging glasses make sure the top of the mask contours well to your nose and cheeks.

Fogging is a sign that the mask is not on properly and therefore also not doing its job, at least with clinical face masks. Air pushing up out the top and fogging your glasses is not being caught by the mask. I’m sure this is not news to you, it was to me when I complained.

To avoid fogging glasses make sure the top of the mask contours well to your nose and cheeks.

Fogging is a sign that the mask is not on properly and therefore also not doing its job, at least with clinical face masks. Air pushing up out the top and fogging your glasses is not being caught by the mask. I’m sure this is not news to you, it was to me when I complained.

I am aware but when you are wearing them for a 10 hour+ shift changing them regularly, keeping a good seal is a challenge. A smile or conversation is enough to steam glasses up, not ideal when divining over ear ones are a nightmare tie ones easier.

Plus the requirement to wear them when driving 2 up is new. Having worked throughout to be suddenly be told NOW you shall, wheres as at the beginning we where told No you shall not...

Follow the science. Ha bloody ha! Which science exactly are we supposed to be following? At least there now seems to be some consensus on wearing masks in certain circumstances. That said I know surgeons change their masks regularly during a longer operation. How many ordinary people are doing the same? Also WTF is it with folks you see driving their cars solo and wearing a mask?

I am aware but when you are wearing them for a 10 hour+ shift changing them regularly, keeping a good seal is a challenge. A smile or conversation is enough to steam glasses up, not ideal when divining over ear ones are a nightmare tie ones easier.

Plus the requirement to wear them when driving 2 up is new. Having worked throughout to be suddenly be told NOW you shall, wheres as at the beginning we where told No you shall not...

I’m in the same boat. I know what you mean, it’s really tough. My advice was only in case you haven’t heard it.