Wood treatment recommendations

manxie49

After a bit of advice from anyone who may have some experience on treating and weather proofing wood. We have this wood carving (see photo) that we want to leave outdoors on the decking, can anyone offer any advice on what would be the best coatings to use to protect it from the elements?? I treat our fence panels with creosote but not sure if I should be using something like yacht varnish or the like for this?? Cheers

IMG_0090.thumb.jpeg.e85d2d5194176c485f320efa110babc6.jpeg

If it is to be left outside then even yacht varnish will only last a short time. It then needs rubbing down which will be a pain given the carving involved.

I'd either use a wood oil and apply a few times a year. It depends how much direct sun it gets.

Or use what has replaced yacht varnish in wooden boats and give it a coating of clear epoxy. You can buy epoxy for wooden boats from a boat chandlers or online. It will last much longer than varnish.

Personally I'd go with wood oil and be prepared to recoat it regularly. It's not huge so it won't take long.

A possible third option which I am experimenting with so can't promise how long lasting it is - is beeswax. I've been polishing wood with it over the past few weeks and the finish it produces is lovely. It ought to be very weather resistant but I'd suggest it would benefit from regular applications.

Forget yacht varnish. The good stuff is stupidly expensive and still only lasts about 2 years. It also needs multiple coats which need sanding in between.

I'd suggest West System 2 pack epoxy. It's clear and can be applied over wood to basically plasticize the outer surface. Boat builders use it a lot. It's not cheap but with luck will be a one time only application. Read the instructions carefully though as if you get it wrong it's a pain to put right.

Epoxy won't peel as it soaks into the wood. If it does there's going to be some very surprised boat builders!

That said there's a lot to be said for regular applications of teak oil. Not necessarily just for teak. My wife uses it on a cheap wooden table that lives outside year long and so far it hasn't rotted away.

Edited by S-Westerly

Wood oil, just about anything else will peel at some point, get it some lite feet so it's off the floor slightly.

Edited

Epoxy will yellow with the sun and eventually becomes yucky horid colour and is then a nightmare to remove

The other thing with epoxy is the mix and contamination, get the mix wrong ratio and it will go wrong, get it contaminated or react and you will have an orange peel finish.

I'm not nocking epoxy it is great stuff I just think for ease of use wood oil is much simpler with less risks.

Oil should only be used in something like this, Boiled Linseed, Danish, will allow it to breathe, if you use a coating to seal it, it will eventually crack and split :thumb:

Thanks for all the advice and help guys.....I just rang the local DIY store and discussed the suggestions I've had from here, he said epoxy is good but not for something as intricate as this, he pretty much mirrored what Dynax said. He's recommended Fiddes exterior wood oil or something I've never heard of before called Tung oil?? Both expensive but if they do the job I don't mind. He also recommended raising it off the floor as Bender said. So a bit more work for the weekend :thumb:

Danish Oil will not probably but definitely do the job, even if has been coated with something else in the past.

Tung oil is the Matte version of Danish oil, Danish oil gives a slight sheen.

Danish Oil will not probably but definitely do the job, even if has been coated with something else in the past.

Tung oil is the Matte version of Danish oil, Danish oil gives a slight sheen.

Very much what I was recommended, I've opted for Tung oil....certainly wasn't cheap but the guy in the shop said it was the best option for what I need :thumb:

Just started using this on our fence and decking:

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/wood-treatment/4485-smith-and-allan-cedol-wood-preserver-clear---decking-oil/

Cannot say long term but having used enough oils on various decks and chairs I have great expectations it goes on nice and soaks in well.

They also do tung oil at £8.05/ ltr

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/wood-treatment/4485-smith-and-allan-cedol-wood-preserver-clear---decking-oil/

Cannot say long term but having used enough oils on various decks and chairs I have great expectations it goes on nice and soaks in well.

Good site, very cheap engine oil available. One thing, obviously I can get to the wood oil from your link but how do you find it via the site menu system?

Personally I'd paint it yellow and fit a couple of LEDs in the eyes. It you want to go the whole hog then fit a motion activate barking device as well.

:lol: It already freaks our dog out, I think he'd leave home if I did that :lol:

Good site, very cheap engine oil available. One thing, obviously I can get to the wood oil from your link but how do you find it via the site menu system?

Markets - Paints and aerosols- wood treatment.