Dark Motorcycling!

XTreme

vs374g.thumb.jpg.e66fe6b2bf2b1f75ef5b02a243929730.jpg

Talking to a client the other day who's in the Tourist Industry and she commented about the abandoned railway stations and villages as she'd seen them on FB. I told her that I wasn't aware of anybody else who was doing anything similar within the motorcycling fraternity.

And she said that there's actually a whole genre of holidays and excursions that are put together to cater for these unusual type of places.......it's called Dark Tourism. And the destinations would be places like Death Camps, sites of natural disasters, or man-made disasters like Chernobyl etc. I'd never heard of it! But it's an unusual concept for sure!

She suggested that I start a Dark Motorcycling tour business running trips to these grim and bleak places. Because nobody else does it. I told her there's not a hope of me doing something like that.......which essentially is dragging a bunch of f@cking dickheads and casuals across Southern Spain, arranging accommodation, translating etc.

The whole premise behind going to these places is to totally escape, and be in complete solitude with nobody for miles around. Not pandering to a bunch of selfie-taking twats who would just ruin the atmosphere of the whole thing like they're now doing on the rail tracks at Auschwitz.

However, it's an interesting business concept for somebody......though whether people would stump up the dosh to make it worthwhile I'm not sure.

But the upshot is that I seem to have created a new genre of biking.......Dark Motorcycling! Weather permitting of course!

I think it's on Netflix, but there is a series where somebody visits dark tourism spots around the world. It's called Dark Tourist. Might be up your street! :thumb:

Cheers.....I'll check it out! Cos this whole Dark Tourism thing was a new one on me.

Not that I'd go to any of these other places unless I could do it by bike.....because it ties the two aspects in together.

You could start with a tour of Milton Keynes working up to the ultimate tour - Helensburgh!

:up:

I lived in MK for 15 months 96/97.

I liked the layout and concept of the place.....but the people there were just generally obnoxious.

[mention]XTreme[/mention] Every time we have been to the Eifel, on our escape from France (clue) we pass a place that is not a large distance from Dunkirk (another clue). I'm guessing its been largely forgotten by almost everyone, aside from Historians. I've often thought about taking a few minutes off from the fast ride to visit. But, its not a place for a cheerful gaggle of Bikers excited and happy to finally be on their way after months of planning and talking about it. it just isn't.

This year though is different.. and oddly appropriate. I expect there to be nobody there at all. Though there will be signs that its visited, Its very important. all the walls lined with poppy wreaths. At least 80 of them.

1973933373_ScreenShot2020-08-19at17_31_33.thumb.png.bdd9253df6a061087a8a231c783b98e9.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhoudt_massacre

You could start with a tour of Milton Keynes working up to the ultimate tour - Helensburgh!

:up:

I'd agree with Milton Keynes but I quite like Helensburgh. Never noticed a problem with it when I was there for a few weeks back in the day.

" I told her that I wasn't aware of anybody else who was doing anything similar within the motorcycling fraternity " It wouldn't have anything to do with it appearing to be a grim , lonely and depressing way to spend one's time not to mention being a bit creepy . I'm sure you enjoy what you're doing but I'd be constantly on my guard in case I got set upon by some crazy dosser leaping from the ruins . Although Covid19 has put paid to all my plans this year , I like to go somewhere a bit more cheery such as a bike meet , custom show or an Air Display .

And she said that there's actually a whole genre of holidays and excursions that are put together to cater for these unusual type of places.......it's called Dark Tourism. And the destinations would be places like Death Camps, sites of natural disasters, or man-made disasters like Chernobyl etc. I'd never heard of it! But it's an unusual concept for sure!

Maybe Stu could do tours of Hull?

I think it's on Netflix, but there is a series where somebody visits dark tourism spots around the world. It's called Dark Tourist. Might be up your street! :thumb:

Watched episode one last night. Liked the guy's style. Both getting involved but also raising his eyebrows a few times. Like an overseas version of Louis Theroux. Thanks for the tip.

I'd be constantly on my guard in case I got set upon by some crazy dosser leaping from the ruins .

No chance of that Bob.......these places are miles from anywhere that would be classed as civilisation.

So unless the dosser has come in his own car and brought food and water with him, then it won't happen.

And with the ugliness of the Strom, plus the state on me with ripped jacket and jeans, missing teeth, bent nose, and multiple scars I think any crazy dossers would probably leg it!

dre.thumb.jpg.2708982622605878a96a8af5048c8d44.jpg

@XTreme Every time we have been to the Eifel, on our escape from France (clue) we pass a place that is not a large distance from Dunkirk (another clue). I'm guessing its been largely forgotten by almost everyone, aside from Historians. I've often thought about taking a few minutes off from the fast ride to visit. But, its not a place for a cheerful gaggle of Bikers excited and happy to finally be on their way after months of planning and talking about it. it just isn't.

This year though is different.. and oddly appropriate. I expect there to be nobody there at all. Though there will be signs that its visited, Its very important. all the walls lined with poppy wreaths. At least 80 of them.

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 17.31.33.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhoudt_massacre

Now those are the sort of unique places to check out! :thumb:

Guest Swagman

I'd be constantly on my guard in case I got set upon by some crazy dosser leaping from the ruins .

No chance of that Bob.......these places are miles from anywhere that would be classed as civilisation.

So unless the dosser has come in his own car and brought food and water with him, then it won't happen.

And with the ugliness of the Strom, plus the state on me with ripped jacket and jeans, missing teeth, bent nose, and multiple scars I think any crazy dossers would probably leg it!

They would probably offer you some food. :D :D

They would probably offer you some food. :D :D

Quite possibly......we can't class all crazy dossers as being the same!

I got this image in my head of [mention]fastbob[/mention] looking over his shoulder wherever he goes in case any crazy dossers show up! :lol:

Bob......hypothetically, if there were crazy dossers at one of these places........what do you think they'd do?

... ripped jacket and jeans, missing teeth, bent nose, and multiple scars ...

You're just copy pasting your Grindr profile

How's the leg healing Dave?

Wouldn't have happened if you'd got yourself a nice Strom.