Toyota Aygo

Tiggie

Yes I know I want to discuss a car on a bike forum. But as I'm a mod there's not much you can do :up: (Please dont delete my thread [mention]Stu[/mention] :lol: )

I'm getting rid of my old diesel bus, (2007 Astra estate with +120,000 miles) its served me well but I feel pretty soon it's going to need something repairing that will cost far more than the cars worth.

After having a long think I've decided that for the commute I do (1.1 miles each way :oops: ) and what else I use a car for (trips to screwfix, asda etc which are all within a 6 mile radius) I just need a small, cheap to run, low hassle car. My Wifes car is a decent size so I can use that for longer journeys, shopping, big stuff from Wickes etc.

I've seen plenty of Aygos for sale for a decent price for the year & mileage, just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them?

You need a car for 1 mile commute????

have you ever heard of bicycles? Not to mention that thing people do... Walking. :roll: :roll:

Having said that, for those short trips you would be better off with an EV

I work 14 hour days and really cant be arsed walking home in the dark at 9pm, especially when I've been there since 7am :lol: I also need a car for when I need to do school run for my daughter, not so much now as she's older but when weathers bad I feel mean if I don't pick her up.

An electric would be nice but my budget is around £6000 so doubtful I'll find anything! Other reason I looked at the Aygo is that the parking around my work is pretty non-existant (especially for my current car) so it would be easier to find a gap to stick it in.

[mention]dynax[/mention] You can appreciate why I don't want to walk home or push my 13 year old in a barrow then!! :mrgreen:

(Just looked on Google and from my house to work its actually 1.2 miles :lol: )

@dynax You can appreciate why I don't want to walk home or push my 13 year old in a barrow then!! :mrgreen:

(Just looked on Google and from my house to work its actually 1.2 miles :lol: )

I would get something quirky like a bubble car or a bond Bug :lol:

Is your house moving??

from 1.1 miles to 1.2 is a huuuuge difference :P

a reasonable condition 2nd hand EV can cost around £5k and cost next to nothing to run.

I'm on my second nissan and won't go back to fossil fuels.

My costs went from 50p / mile to 3p / mile I usually do around 15,000 miles a year so a saving of £7k a year.

In your case the saving will be far less but even if you do 20 miles a week that means just under £500 in your pocket every year.

[mention]bonio[/mention]

They are on the shortlist :D The Skoda Citigo is another one i'd consider. Reason I was drawn to the Aygos is you can get quite a nice Spec for the money (air con, touch screen, dab etc)

We have a pug 107.

Basically same car.

Had it 3 year. Spot on. Used for commutting either 10 mile or 4 mile for Lisa.

Also used regularly for trips to the coast when one of us is already there.

Brilliant basic car.

Over 85 on M62 it gets a bit hairy but will cope.

No luxury.

Drives like a go kart.

Ours has done about 50k miles and is a 63 plate i think.

Never any real bother.

We fully intend on keeping it and giving it to kids when they are old enough to pass their tests.

Would recommend.

Our daughter has an Aygo and to be fair it's done her well. She hammers it and it's done 130k and been pretty reliable. It does use a lot of oil which I suspect is the valve stem seals on their way out. They suffer from water leaks through the door seals and the rear light clusters. The high level brake light is a favourite spot to leak from.

When we needed a second car we looked at them. They are the same as the small Citroen and Peugot so if you aren't fussed about brand and badge you can get the same car for cheaper.

We ended up with a Skoda Citigo which my wife loves. It's funny little thing, 3 pot engine, (as is the Aygo of course) which sounds quite raspy but does pull ok if you let it rev a bit. Build quality seems fine, we've had it a year with no problems. Gearbox is brilliant, better than the Aygo transmission.

Of course the Citigo comes as both the VW Up (for more money) or wearing a SEAT badge for a bit less. I prefer the Skoda version to the VW.

Plenty available for your budget that have been on PCP schemes and handed back. We paid £5.5 for a three year old Citigo with 16k on it.

Cheers [mention]NeilM[/mention]

You are right they are pretty much the same car along with the Citroen C1. All have same engine and frame and are all made in same factory. I think it makes sense to get one and have pretty much made up my mind to do so, I just was hoping someone on here would have experience with one so I'd have a better picture of what to expect.

Strangely "drives like a go-kart" sounds quite fun for me, especially after having an old diesel estate :lol:

[mention]Mississippi Bullfrog[/mention] I do quite like the citigo too. Wouldn't say no if I saw the right one.

I've seen a few Aygos on a 17 plate with less than 20,000 miles going for around 5.5. Seems to be the average price for these kind of cars.

Cheers @NeilM

You are right they are pretty much the same car along with the Citroen C1. All have same engine and frame and are all made in same factory. I think it makes sense to get one and have pretty much made up my mind to do so, I just was hoping someone on here would have experience with one so I'd have a better picture of what to expect.

Strangely "drives like a go-kart" sounds quite fun for me, especially after having an old diesel estate :lol:

It is fun bizarrely enough.

You do have to rag the arse off them. But through the country lanes its a laugh.

Apart from the bike.

I go from a car where i do virtually nowt and will cruise with no effort on motorway at 90.

Go to the 107. Its different. But fun.

If you want to see it properly and have a drive give us a shout.

Not far to birstall from Bingley.

Cheers @NeilM I might even take you up on that :D

Going to have a sniff round jct600 in Bradford tomorrow. They have a few available

No bother mate.

Have you looked at car people in wakey?

Got ours from there. Spot on. No pressure sales etc.

You have all coerced me into getting one! if anything goes wrong I'll know who to blame :lol:

It will make my brother-in-law happy too as he can have my old car. I swear I am not making this up, he has a 2010 Citroen C4 people carrier type thing. Bought it second hand on finance 3 years ago. Payments end in May.

For the last year and a bit it has developed a fault where it wont go into reverse (its an automatic) 99% of the time :shock: (once in a blue moon it will shift no problem) He has taken it to a few garages including main Citroen Dealers who have told him it will need a whole new gearbox. It will cost more than the car is worth and he cant afford it. He also cant afford to get rid or get another until he's finished paying it off :lol:

The cherry on the cake as well is that the heater hasn't worked for the last 2 years either :? Don't think its the motor as sometimes at random it will blow out at max strength and then nothing for a few days :shock: Last winter he had to carry around towels and sponges to demist the windscreen :roll:

The engine management light also comes on if he gets stuck in traffic for too long, don't think it likes getting hot :lol: Only the passenger window works, others wont budge, tyres are wearing unevenly so probably needs aligning. The list goes on :lol: :lol:

I still cant believe he has driven a car for well over a year with no Reverse gear, Can you imagine? :cry: And weirdly enough that isn't a fault on a mot as it passed in January :scratch:

How bad is the astra? is it diesel? I will give you a tenner to take it off your hands :lol:

I need an estate really as I am always filling my ibiza full of crap and its just too small :lol:

I won't use the decent car as it would be trashed in no time :lol:

Anyway just picked up a shitroen C1 for the niece for her first car and I have to be honest it seems pretty decent and they are the same as the 107 and the Aygo