Riders around Walsall/Sutton Coldfield?

Hello everyone. So only been riding about 3 weeks since passing my test and buying my first bike. I’ve been trying to ride whenever I can when it’s relatively dry and above 3 degrees! Just trying to get better and improve my confidence so I can go on longer ride outs with groups eventually . I’ve always lived in the city and don’t mind riding in traffic but really enjoy quiet roads which more fun on a bike. Would really appreciate any suggestions from

Not a huge distance... from Walsall. (my old home town by the way)

Cannock Chase and the north staffs moors. So... thinking north of the A5... south of the A50.... place Abbots Bromley at the imaginary centre of this region and explore.

Im only a 125 rider so I don't really ride out much either apart from commuting but as said above, plenty of roads north of the A5. Blithfield reservoir is a favourite of mine for a ride out to. Not one that you'll be out on all day, an hour or two at most but still a good little ride if you go up through hednesford onto Rugeley and then up to the reservoir that way. The coach and horses in abbots bromley do some decent grub.

Ironbridge is another good ride out.

Loads of places/roads stored up in my head but depends on the sort of distance you like to do and the speeds you like to ride at really.

A good all day ride - Walsall to Bridgnorth, over to clee hill via baveney wood and Cleobury Mortimer, then up to the long mynd where there's a nice little cafe at the top, back down to Walsall through Albrighton/Cosford.

Thanks BIgHeavy. Some great suggestions there, will definitely try them. At the moment been doing a couple of hours on a Saturday and Sunday weather permitting. Not into high speed stuff, just gradually trying to get more confident on a big bike. Only done about 300 miles since passing my test a month ago and only 125 time was my Cbt. Wish I’d started riding years ago!

Weather permitting (and if my bike is sorted) I'll probably be going for a ride over to Blithfield reservoir on Saturday (I've got to quickly ride past a property in Rugeley to check to see if the tenants are still living there for my boss) It'll probably be in the afternoon at some point as Im working tomorrow night but your welcome to tag along if you want to. Ill know for sure if Im going by bike or not tomorrow.

Sounds good. Let me know. Cheers!

unfortunately, I won't be riding up there, I'll be taking a work van instead. I've got to do a couple of jobs in that neck of the woods which require tools etc before I need to be back in Walsall for a bike lesson. Maybe another weekend though.

Great shout for Blithfield reservoir BigHeavy! That bit of road leading up to it, Wow! Having just passed my test wasn't too confident on some of the tighter bends (just went quite slow) but great fun for my first longer ride. Could spend a few hours just going up and down that road! When the weather is better and I have more time will explore further that way. Cheers!

MT07.thumb.jpg.8631b00d81ff1ee72ba39eb003ca40cd.jpg

Great shout for Blithfield reservoir BigHeavy! That bit of road leading up to it, Wow! Having just passed my test wasn't too confident on some of the tighter bends (just went quite slow) but great fun for my first longer ride. Could spend a few hours just going up and down that road! When the weather is better and I have more time will explore further that way. Cheers!

MT07.jpg

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

That's actually one of my favourite roads, It's not one you want to go down at speed but at a nice relaxed pace, it's quite enjoyable. There are loads of roads around that area like that one. You can literally spend a whole day just exploring up there. I've done it myself :roll: :lol:

Hopefully, I'll be able to get out on a proper ride myself soon, Just waiting to get a list of shifts for next month before I can decide when I can and can't go out for rides :roll: