Long Itchington diner

Guest Speedy23

So didn't have enough brownie points to get to Upton today (sorry Mike) but managed a quick couple of hours up the Fosse, turned off to Long Itchington and found the eponymous diner so stopped for cholesterol refill. Only 1 other bike there, a Triumph Bonnie but had a good brekkie then back on the road made the round trip via Southam, Daventry, Braunston then back on A45 towards Coventry then turned off onto Fosse Way again to return home.

Good run out in nice weather. Diner - worth a visit. Some nice twisties - saw quite a few bikes out. Only fly in the ointment was the proliferation of 50 limits but hey-ho :angel12: .

Coming back on A3400 collected the biggest flying insect of the season on my sunnies - kersplat! Wouldn't like to have copped that in the eye! :shock:

What’s the Fosse? I thought Fosse was a massive roman road from somewhere down south to somewhere up north?

You are right -

From Wiki:

"The Fosse Way was a Roman road in England that linked Exeter in South West England to Lincoln in Lincolnshire, via Ilchester, Bath, Cirencester and Leicester. It joined Akeman Street and Ermin Way at Cirencester, crossed Watling Street at Venonis south of Leicester, and joined Ermine Street at Lincoln".

There's still loads of it left - A429, A46 and the bits that have been downgraded to B roads.. .. so it's not too far from you! You can tell it's Roman - sections of it are dead straight. Some highway, some leafy byway.... but still there. But what did the Romans ever do for us? :D

What’s the Fosse? I thought Fosse was a massive roman road from somewhere down south to somewhere up north?

From Wiki:

"The Fosse Way was a Roman road in England that linked Exeter in South West England to Lincoln in Lincolnshire, via Ilchester, Bath, Cirencester and Leicester. It joined Akeman Street and Ermin Way at Cirencester, crossed Watling Street at Venonis south of Leicester, and joined Ermine Street at Lincoln".

There's still loads of it left - A429, A46.. not too far from a road near you! You can tell it's Roman - sections of it are dead straight.

I’m familiar with Fosse way the Roman road as a year or so ago I decided to cycle to Swindon, sounds like an awful destination doesn’t it but it would be all cross country and Swindon has trains back running every hour so it wouldn’t matter how long it took or if there wasn’t room on the train for the bike I could just wait for the next one. Some way in after Bath in the middle of bloody nowhere the garmin packed up and I was clueless about were I was.

Then I happened upon a narrow road called simply Fosse. Great I’ll go on this, it’ll take me straight in the Cirencester direction and then I’ll find some signs for Swindon. Thrilled that some of the useless knowledge I have packed away was going to be genuinely useful I cycled on.....

There is more than one Fosse....

This incarnation of Fosse a mile or so in turned into a narrow overgrown disused bridal path. I couldn’t be swayed from my route because there was nothing else to follow. I could turn back (now far too far in and too stubborn anyway) or push on. Took over an hour to go 1 mile. Had to carry my bike- using it to beat down stinging nettles and hedge whilst wet sludge caked my cycling shoes n legs an interesting shade of green n brown. I made it to the end to a sharp left turn long section then a right, another long section..... it’s not straight.... it’s not STRAAIIIIIIIGHT....... it can’t be Fosse the Roman road :cry:

Left the house 9am got back 9.30pm. Not my finest work!

So I thought when you said Fosse I’d better check what Fosse that was!

Some sections of the fosse way used to be enjoyed by green laners back in the nineties. No idea about now but definitely not suitable for push bikes or ordinary vehicles back then.

That made me remember I took a photo of the mud before powering down my phone because I’d accidentally taken a flat charger and had little battery left. Just checked the location on the photo it was Fosse Way Littleton Drew Chippenham. Very satisfying, it was a wonky disjointed unrideable part of the Roman Fosse Way :thumb:

This incarnation of Fosse a mile or so in turned into a narrow overgrown disused bridal path.

Was it veiled in mystery? What was the train of events? Did you pull out on the altar of expediency? Or just turn over a new page?

(sorry...I'll get me coat...)

You're all missing the important thing here - was the bacon any good??

OTOH, have you ever had bad bacon? It just comes in varying degrees of excellence!

I used to be an atheist, but bacon and beer made me think.

Long Itchington? There are some funny place names out there.

Not as funny as this village nearby. :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willey,_Warwickshire

Incorrectly assumed it would be Gaydon... :lol:

An also worthy contender.

Bit of trivia, Aston Martin's are assembled at Gaydon.

There is a Gayton near Towcester

• 9 months later...

Bike night going strong here still, headed down yesterday for an hour, very busy! There was probably the same amount of bikes out of shot too.

Didn’t have any food but I do plan on stopping for brekkie there’s one weekend :D

C24BF4C5-CE03-47D1-9484-2318B71727AA.thumb.jpeg.777d93e63b8f8422d4940d4a03ef97a9.jpeg