9 days en France 24th June-2nd July 2017 report

Been on an epic journey or a fantastic day out? Found some amazing roads and have a story to share? Use this section to share your stories and pictures.
Gerontious
Has Liked: 125 times
Been Liked: 172 times

Re: 9 days en France 24th June-2nd July 2017 report

#31 Post by Gerontious » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:51 pm

Combe Laval.. the D76 was definitely one of the highlights of the week... and speaking purely for myself.. it has to be one of the highlights of my entire riding career. Any photos you might look at cannot do it justice... awesome is a word thats horribly overused on biker forums.. but this place truly was/is awesome... like a giant took a cleaver to a mountain and split it in two like a log... looking over the wall straight down a 1,200 foot clif to the valley below and then down the valley where it opened out to the landscape beyond. Its another place i would suggest be on your bucket list... even if you dont want to ride along it... just ride to the sign and park your bike or car there and have a stroll along the road. If you're as lucky as we were that day.. you'll have it all to yourself. as Rob says there was just a lone german biker and a couple of cyclists... a car pulled over at the far end and that was it.

A great start to a fantastic day... later in the Afternoon we climbed the Jura mountains on the french side.. just west of Geneva. so high it got very cold and it was obviously ski country... but again this was a great ride.. mile after mile of deserted roads with only the odd car here and there.. and then nothing at all. later another highlight for me.. riding into the "Watch valley"... Vallée de Joux past the most incredible watch makers. Patek Philippe, Blancpain, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet and my own personal favourite Breguet. And as if that wasn't glamour enough... we ended the day ogling bottles of champagne €400 a bottle. (sigh)

The whole 9 days was pure pleasure.. I got a good look at areas of France that I had never seen... nor even really thought about to be honest. But.. they are all bookmarked as places to revisit.. or take my friends to as and when we want a change from the usual week in the Eifel. In fact.. theres a slight chance we will be back down that way in another 4 weeks. As of now the plan is to go to the Austrian Tyrol. But.. if the weather doesnt play ball.. then central southern france is our plan B... and having sampled it. I would have no hesitation in going there again if push came to shove.

What Ive learnt is that getting there is easy enough.. day one to Avallon in Burgundy and then day two through the Morvan and across to the Auvergne is easily done... or further south to the Languedoc... maybe try a different campsite.. some research needed for that... one with a decent supermarket close by for cheap beer!!! And those gorges to ride... and mountains to climb... and Moolies to eat. And roads from hell to avoid

I spent about the same as Rob... it was actually a fairly expensive 9 days but that was mainly due to the abysmal post brexit value of the pound.. as well as the pretty much standard €5 for a beer. we likes our beers at the end of a hard days riding. Austria should be cheaper. beer is generally €3 and of course petrol.. is much cheaper. today the equivalent - £1 a litre 8-)

so.. France was great... really fantastic. next.. Austria and the Alps 31 days to go. :mrgreen:

mmmm... and maybe... just maybe... THIS!!! just to scare them witless. (cause im nice like that!!)

45%.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gerontious on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sagabona kunjani wena

Westbeef
I torque a lot!
Bike(s): CBR600F Sport
Challenge score: 40
Has Liked: 285 times
Been Liked: 561 times

#32 Post by Westbeef » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:04 pm

Looks like a good trip, half the pics aren't loading for me which is a shame. :(

rob m
Bike(s): BMW K1200S
Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 103 times

#33 Post by rob m » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Westbeef wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:04 pm
Looks like a good trip, half the pics aren't loading for me which is a shame. :(
They all show on my iPhone but the page did take some time to load.

Snod Blatter
Bike(s): CBX250RS-E, CB250N Two Fifty, TRX850, K100RS
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 10 times

#34 Post by Snod Blatter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 pm

Loaded okay here too, Firefox on PC.

Looks super, though €5 a beer? Am I reading this right?

€5??

rennie
Bike(s): Yamaha Midnight Star 1300
Challenge score: 210
Has Liked: 856 times
Been Liked: 313 times

#35 Post by rennie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:40 pm

when we went to Spain on the bikes, about 10 years ago, we went over the Millau bridge,
we stuck to motorways/toll roads because we had a long way to go, but even they, after millau,
were amazing!
Knee down. on a motorway! luggagged up! brilliant! :lol:
And the scenery was fantastic!

I really really want to do it again 8-)
Ian.

rob m

#36 Post by rob m » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Snod Blatter wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 pm
Loaded okay here too, Firefox on PC.

Looks super, though €5 a beer? Am I reading this right?

€5??
It was an outrage.

BTW is your sig pic from the autobahn last year? :wink:

smallfrowne
Bike(s): NC30, CG125, DR650, CD250U
Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 6 times

#37 Post by smallfrowne » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Oooh yeah those roads are geat. I remember going round le bourg d'oisans which is slightly east of that one I think, in the 205 up similar cliff hanger roads. Had to stop to adjust the distributor as it didn't like the steep hills and cheap petrol.

Some of the pics didn't load for me either first time round, but normally after a refresh they did, sometimes not, but refresh again... and they worked.

21 days to go for us, this is wetting my appetite, getting me thinking.

And france does seem expensive to drink out, but they do have some good biére artisanale, which normally don't go much below 8%.

rob m

#38 Post by rob m » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:00 pm

Yeah, don't know what it is with the pictures, it's been a bit iffy with me today. I'm using imgur now after jumping ship from photobucket recently. I have to say this never happened with photobucket when I posted pictures but now they want to charge mucho mazola for the privilege so I left. It's a shame because I preferred PB.

By the way, all pictures were taken on iPhone 7 Plus. For me, there really isn't a need to take a 'pro' camera with the quality of phone cameras these days.