Sewells in Spain 2017

raesewell

We set off for Portsmouth on Friday 8th September and it was a very very wet journey down To Portsmouth, we had a couple of stops for coffee and lunch on the way. We waited about 30 minutes and then they started loading the bikes onto the ferry. We found ourselves a nice cosy spot for a beer once onboard.

20170908_170600.jpg

We were well out to sea when the ferry was delayed due to a medical emergency, a passenger had to be winched on to a helicopter for transport to hospital. I don’t know who it was or what was wrong but I wish them a speedy recovery.

The rest of the journey was uneventful. We arrived in Santander at about 7 pm which was about an hour and a half later than expected. The heavens opened and the rain was like stair rods. We proceeded out of Santander at a very ginger pace just happy to follow the cars in front. Once at the hotel we checked in creating rather large puddles in the hotel foyer. The staff were very understanding and fantastic.

After a shower and a change of clothes and a very cheap 3 course meal we found the bar.

20170909_224101.jpg

The following morning Llanes (Yanez) was bathed in sunshine as you can see here in this secluded cove

20170910_110301.jpg

Also in Llanes a poor selfie of us at the marina.

20170910_110659.jpg

We came across a group of Spanish bikers on a ride out.

20170910_111824.jpg

Here is the bike tucked up for the night in Navia.

Sorry about the quality, but David Bailey I ain’t

20170911_154211.jpg

We set off from Llanes in light drizzle and it remained like that for the first hour or so.

We stopped in Gijon for a coffee then decided to take the motorway for the rest of the journey.

This was because we made poor progress on the first part of the journey mainly due to almost everyone in Spain driving everywhere at 15 mph. The penalty for speeding must be really harsh, birching, hanging or maybe a public flogging, who knows.

The journey from Navia to Santiago de Compostela was very drizzly with a bit of fog thrown in for good measure. Not the weather you expect in Spain but hey ho, it’s dry in the bars.

We did have some brighter weather as you can see here

20170914_113843.jpg

We moved on from Santiago de Compostela to Astoga and the weather perked up a bit as you can see above.

This one is self explanatory

20170915_122358.jpg

I spotted a GTL whist there

20170915_123510.jpg

And in contrast a Chinese Harley look a like

20170915_123529.jpg

Also while in Astorga we met with Javier whom I met on the FJR forum.

A really nice man and we both thoroughly enjoyed his company.

20170915_221006.jpg

A mountain shot on the way to Arenas de Cabrales, and another drizzly day interspersed with a bit of sunshine here and there.

20170916_120757.jpg

We spent a couple of days in Bilbao and I found a companion for the FJR in the underground car park.

20170917_145906.jpg

Outside the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao is this very big spider.

20170918_111907.jpg

In the true tradition of Sods Law once on the ferry the Bay of Biscay was bathed in glorious sunshine.

20170919_141441.jpg

Back in the UK we stopped off in Alton Hampshire to have a coffee with a very dear friend who took this photo for us.

IMG_4426.jpg

We are not done touring yet this year, in three weeks time we are off to France with Mike W and his wife for a few days.

Thank you and I hope you enjoyed the write up.

Edited by raesewell