Sewells in France and Belgium 2018

raesewell

After some trying times recently Melanie and I are off for a well deserved holiday in France and Belgium, we had this originally planned for September but we had to cancel and re-book. We leave home on Saturday staying over in Market Harborough before a leisurely dash for the tunnel on Sunday morning. Our first French destination is Le Touquet (one of my favourite places). Monday morning sees us off to Reims for a couple of days. Dinant is our next destination for another couple of days before heading to Ypres where we will be meeting up with a Belgian member of the EuroKClub and his wife for some eats and drinks. Heading back to the UK on Saturday morning.

I'll try to remember to take some photos, but as you already know, sometimes I forget :oops:

After some trying times recently Melanie and I are off for a well deserved holiday in France and Belgium, we had this originally planned for September but we had to cancel and re-book. We leave home on Saturday staying over in Market Harborough before a leisurely dash for the tunnel on Sunday morning. Our first French destination is Le Touquet (one of my favourite places). Monday morning sees us off to Reims for a couple of days. Dinant is our next destination for another couple of days before heading to Ypres where we will be meeting up with a Belgian member of the EuroKClub and his wife for some eats and drinks. Heading back to the UK on Saturday morning.

I'll try to remember to take some photos, but as you already know, sometimes I forget :oops:

Hope you enjoy your trip.

I especially hope you get better weather than I'm seeing today. :shock:

And remember the photos. :D

Firstly congrats on making it to your holibobs.

Secondly @Six30 you have a wife?!!

Congrats to her too! I mean that in an endurance sport trophy type o way

:wink:

[/quo[mention]Six30[/mention]

">

I have been a bit derelict in my reporting duties, so here is a catch up.

The trip started on Saturday, the rain stopped just before we set off and because it was so warm the roads dried quickly. I had an A and B road wiggly route planned but because of the high winds I decided to take the A1, A46 went into Melton Mowbray for a coffee and then took the legendary B6047 to Market Harborough, it’s not quite as legendary with 45 mph gusts of wind. But all in all it was a good trip.

We were up with the lark on Sunday for our dash for the tunnel. It was throwing it down with rain for the first two hours. Once we got across the Dartford crossing it brightened up and the sun popped its head out for a while. Our train was delayed a bit which made us a bit late and with a road closure on my non motorway route the other side of the channel I decided to cut my losses and take the motorway to Le Touquet. The Red Fox hotel can be highly recommended, clean tidy and right in the middle of town amongst everything,

20181014-191123.jpg

A warm night in October in Le Touquet

Another Le Touquet attraction with the obligatory carousel in the background

20181014-192401.jpg

Monday saw us off to Reims a warm sunny dry day unfolded. Temperatures got up to 27 degrees C

A pleasant journey got us to Reims at about 4 O’clock when we visited Musée de la Reddition where the German surrender was signed.

After a hectic day we relaxed with a couple of glasses of Bofferding (I had never heard of it either)

20181015-185234.jpg

An old uncle of mine used to say "there is no bad beer, just some is better than others" not sure I entirely agree but I get the sentiment. Both the Bofferding and the Kanterbrau were very paletable we are now on to Stella Artois before we go for some food. :P

Todays journey from Reims to Dinant was a very pleasant one. Temperatures started at about 12 / 13 quickly rising to 23/ 25 along winding forest roads in the sunshine. We got to Dinant at about 2 O'clock and after a quick shower and change of clothes we were off to explore the town. On our travels we came across this biker bar only sbout 400 yards from our hotel.

20181017-182733.jpg

I forgot to mention an amusing thing that happened in Reims last night. We were in a bar (no surprise there) where a group of French men were celebrating (don't know what) when one of them burst into song....... Gerryyyyyyy, Gerry Crockett, now I'm not sure if the French have a hero called Gerry Crockett or if it was the effects of the Bofferding.

It was a misty and cool start in Dinant this morning, but after a few miles the mist cleared and the temperature rose to about 23 degrees. Here we are in Ypres / Ieper on a warm snd sunny afternoon, having a couple of beers before we meet a EuroKClub member and his wifer later on.

Found a little nook for the bike right next to the hotel.

20181019-160605.jpg

We met up with Sudolea and Mrs. Sodulea from the EuroKClub on Friday evening, it was a very pleasant evening. We went to the Last Post Ceremony and on to a restaurant where good food good drinking and good company was enjoyed. They Journey to the tunnel on Saturday morning was uneventful and took about an hour and ten minutes. There was a bit of a queue at passport control but we got through eventually and onto the train. We stayed in Wellingborough on Saturday evening to break up the journey, and Sunday morning was a two hour dash for home. It's so nice to go travelling, but it's oh so nice to come home.