Euro trailer laws

Hi as most of you know we pull a trailer behind the Busa to camp and rallies. We've been many times to Europe, IOM and through out the U/K

What l really fancy doing is going to the Moto Gp at Mugello Italy. According to rule book there's seems to be a problem with Italy and a few others

Often, it's actually the fault of the motorcycle manufacturers who do not specify the weight their bikes can pull, so many European governments restrict the use of trailers for motorcycles.

So here's a list of European countries and their laws regarding pulling a trailer with your motorcycle:

Country Allowed Comments

Austria Yes Same laws apply as to car trailers.

Belgium Yes & No Motorcycles are allowed to pull a trailer, but sidecars are not.

Czech Republic Yes

Denmark Yes & No Only trailers with more than 1 wheel are authorized.

Finland Yes The trailer weight can not be more than 50% of the motorcycle weight. If the trailer has a suspension, maximum speed allowed is 80 kph, else 60 kph.

France Yes

Germany Yes Limited to 60 kph, ie, not on motorways.

Greece ? Not clear

Ireland No Since 2009

Italy No There is no specific law authorizing them, therefore, they are illegal.

Luxembourg Yes Maximum weight is 150 kgs, on motorways, speed limit is 90 kph, 75 kph on country roads.

Norway Yes

Portugal ? Not clear

Spain No

Sweden Yes Trailers need to be homologated.

Switzerland Yes Maximum speed 80 kph

The Netherlands Yes Maximum speed 80 kph

UK Yes The trailers need to be homologated, and can only be pulled by a motorcycle with more than 125cc.

Legal requirements vary from country to country and in some European countries it is illegal to tow with a motorbike. In those counties where it is illegal towing is permitted to visiting UK citizens during their stay. We would recommend you check with the relevant authorities before travelling just to be sure.

As you can see it's somewhat of a minefield question is, do we just jump in and go for it or do apply to the country we intend to travel to? l'm sure doing this will result in me being buried in protocol and paperwork. What's your thoughts

Using a trailer towed by a motorcycle in Italy by "non italians" or anyone, has been challenged legally and the court sided with italy. 11 years ago.

the reason.. road safety. which anyone who has ridden a bike in italy and particularly in Rome and experienced italian driving standards.. will probably find absolutely amazing. (if not - perverse)

so.. you cant.

Just had a reply from the Goldwing mob, some have been with there trailers with no issues, Apparently they say that the visitor rule is accepted, interesting!!

Using a trailer towed by a motorcycle in Italy by "non italians" or anyone, has been challenged legally and the court sided with italy. 11 years ago.

the reason.. road safety. which anyone who has ridden a bike in italy and particularly in Rome and experienced italian driving standards.. will probably find absolutely amazing. (if not - perverse)

so.. you cant.

I've done Italy numerous times both bike and car anywhere there is some experience to ride or drive, mental does not come near it! Crazy that they stop the trailers on the grounds of safety when they don't obey even the basic laws.

Just had a reply from the Goldwing mob, some have been with there trailers with no issues, Apparently they say that the visitor rule is accepted, interesting!!

the grounds for the case was: it posed an obstacle to the free movement of goods contrary to Article 28 EC, the case was brought by the european commission. Though the case was more about the law not allowing trailers to be imported and sold in Italy.

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/legal_service/a ... 110_en.pdf

the reply from the goldwing owners begs an obvious question: were the supposed bikers who went to Italy actually seen by the polizia stradale. to be stopped.. you have to be seen.

in a country where something is completely unheard of... like pulling a trailer, your going to stick out like a sore thumb, but you have to bee seen.

if there is a visitor exception then a quick call to the Italian embassy should clear that up. but I would want it in writing.. and in Italian.

Edited by Anonymous

If there was an exception the court case would not have been brought.. the grounds for the case was: it posed an obstacle to the free movement of goods contrary to Article 28 EC, the case was brought by the european commission.

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/legal_service/a ... 110_en.pdf

the reply from the goldwing owners begs an obvious question: were the supposed bikers who went to Italy actually seen by the polizia stradale. to be stopped.. you have to be seen.

Like you I've read and re read the doc's relating to the case, I'm going to clarify with the Goldwing club to see if they sort permission or whether they were approached by the police whilst in Italy. I know full well that the Cacarabinieri and the polizia are not to be messed with.

I went back and edited my last reply.

for something as 'serious' as this.. i think you are unwise to rely on hearsay. call the embassy. and ask about visitor exceptions.

mugello is fairly 'deep' into italy.. and a long way from the border where you're less likely to hassled.. or seen by the polizia stradale. (and its them you need to be wary of)

I went back and edited my last reply.

for something as 'serious' as this.. i think you are unwise to rely on hearsay. call the embassy. and ask about visitor exceptions.

mugello is fairly 'deep' into italy.. and a long way from the border where you're less likely to hassled.. or seen by the polizia stradale. (and its them you need to be wary of)

Hi Shorty, I've been to Mugello before on the bike, that time I was riding solo. It's is deep into Italy and yes it is crazy anyone who's not been there you just can't explain. The place will be alive with Police and rightly so, I might just drop a line to the Italian authorities to see if visitor rights apply. Will keep you posted

• 3 years later...

Looks like I've got a result, l made contacted F.E.M.A the Federation of European Motorcyclist Association who have looked into look into the issue, they put me in contact with there Italian official. He has come back with this document which is translated from Italian , the rules are not good for the Italians but it seems ok for us.

Below are extracts.

of 1992, does not provide for the possibility of towing by motorcycles, those registered abroad can freely circulate on our territory.

From this it follows that if an Italian citizen registers in Italy a vehicle already registered with a tow hook abroad, the offices of the Italian motorization accept the approval and allow the vehicle to circulate with an appendix trolley. If, on the other hand, an Italian citizen asks to be able to tow an appendix trolley with his own motor vehicle, this is denied.

In a nutshell: an Italian motor vehicle cannot be allowed to tow a trolley, while a motor vehicle purchased abroad is granted this option. All this, however, provided that the motor vehicle registered in our borders is not a vintage Lambretta, because the appendix trolley has been regularly used for over half a century and regularly approved (which is a clear contradiction because the motor vehicles are obviously safer ).

So a trip to Mugello for the Moto Gp looks on the cards :D now all subject to a bloody flu virus :shock:

A trailer towed by a Hayabusa ? I can't get my head round it . Sorry . 🤔

Not many can mate to be honest, but it all makes sense really. 2 up camping I wouldn't do it any other way now

A trailer towed by a Hayabusa ? I can't get my head round it . Sorry . 🤔

Not many can mate to be honest, but it all makes sense really. 2 up camping I wouldn't do it any other way now

Having thought about it , I suppose once you make camp you can ditch the trailer and go for a thrash in the locality .

Chris i admire your balls for towing a trailer, it serves you a purpose..... but i just could not do it...

i put panniers to go away with once on my Tiger, hated the look and i felt like id turned into an old man before my time and the bike looked horrible, i sold panniers when i got back.

each to their own but no no for me .

Makes perfect sense to me. Get more in a trailer and remove any need for panniers and the usual struggle to fit everything in for 2-up touring with a tent. Allows you those little luxuries that would normally be impossible especially with a pillion to cater for. A single wheel trailer will be effectively invisible when riding. I would rather tow a single wheeler than have a sidecar, at least once you reach a destination the trailer can be unhitched and the fun riding can begin.

Makes perfect sense to me. Get more in a trailer and remove any need for panniers and the usual struggle to fit everything in for 2-up touring with a tent. Allows you those little luxuries that would normally be impossible especially with a pillion to cater for. A single wheel trailer will be effectively invisible when riding. I would rather tow a single wheeler than have a sidecar, at least once you reach a destination the trailer can be unhitched and the fun riding can begin.

In one Mate :) A 3 man stand up tent, airbed, 3 season sleeping bags and all the luxuries and no problems filtering through traffic normally were the lead bike on a loaded tour. I've covered 540miles covered in a day. Mugello Italy will be a 2000 mile round trip.