Lat's Big Cornish Adventure

Screenshot_2017-05-08-20-17-38.thumb.png.26d87ab25daf81b6eca560a3f68a24fd.png

Route map

Big day out! About 220 miles on bike, taking in Lizard Point, Lands End and 8 tags! My mate was kind enough to humour me with photos of random destinations, and a big thanks to Grumpy Old Git for picking arbitrary tags which gave us a great day out.

Then got up extra early this morning so that we could take a longer route back to the bike hire place, and had an excellent 2 hour blast!

Screenshot_2017-05-09-11-02-36.thumb.png.5a0a6fe3b78c98b040f41f422d96ab63.png

Morning blast

Was really interesting to compare the two bikes - VFR800 and F800R. Will post up thoughts about them later​, but right now we have a pressing* date with a cider farm! :cheers:

*Pun firmly intended

I don't mess about! :mrgreen:

Slightly concerned I may now feel dissatisfied with my bike when I get home though - loved the VFR800! Amazed how much difference the extra 200cc made in terms of power, speed and flexibility. Never spent so much time in second gear before! Fairing was much more effective too, and I was much more confident overtaking. The more forward-leaning position was a little uncomfortable on the wrists after a while, but is that something you get used to?

Currently feel like I'd swap for one tomorrow if the opportunity arose!

In comparison, the BMW was less forgiving, with the power not quite so immediately on tap, but it felt much more nimble. I didn't like the button-like switch gear either - not enough feedback through gloves for my liking. Not really a fan of the vibration from the twin cylinder engine either, but the exhaust sound much nicer, with the occasional pop when rolling off.

Also, I'm never buying a naked bike! The push from the wind at what I'll refer to as “dual-carriage speeds” is pretty quickly tiring, and would do me no good for my stints on the motorway.

So, I think I may ask my insurer how much it might cost if I changed to a bigger sports tourer now, rather than when I get a year's NCB next Jan! If it's a fairly cost-neutral change, I'd be very tempted!

The thing is power is different on all bikes and its finding the sweet spot on them. The VFR may have just been easier to find the power where as yours you will have to work it a bit more although the torque on the VFR would have made a huge difference! It makes you a lazy rider and feels like a big twist and go :lol:

As for riding position you would have been putting weight on your wrists instead of relaxing and holding yourself up with your core strength its something you learn to do when riding bikes that are more sport orientated

That looks like an excellent trip! If your insurance is anything like mine, I've been getting quotes of £350-£450 for bikes ranging from 300cc to 800cc. I think it's more the new price and the "boy racer" aspects that seem to put it up.

The wind at 60mph+ is what I really dislike about being on a bike just now. It seems to be taking me an age to get used to the feeling. :-/

The thing is power is different on all bikes and its finding the sweet spot on them. The VFR may have just been easier to find the power where as yours you will have to work it a bit more although the torque on the VFR would have made a huge difference! It makes you a lazy rider and feels like a big twist and go :lol:

As for riding position you would have been putting weight on your wrists instead of relaxing and holding yourself up with your core strength its something you learn to do when riding bikes that are more sport orientated

Definitely did feel twist-and-go at times. Loved it! Good to know about the positioning. :thumb:

That looks like an excellent trip! If your insurance is anything like mine, I've been getting quotes of £350-£450 for bikes ranging from 300cc to 800cc. I think it's more the new price and the "boy racer" aspects that seem to put it up.

The wind at 60mph+ is what I really dislike about being on a bike just now. It seems to be taking me an age to get used to the feeling. :-/

Will have a play around with quotes and see what happens, but I wasn't previously looking at VFR/Sprint type bikes, so should probably brace for disappointment! Don't think I could hack a naked bike, but the buffeting from the windshield at speed can be at least as annoying!

insurance smurance buy it buy it now :lol:

We'll my current insurer, Hastings, won't insure it without 2 years NCB and it being stored in a locked​ garage, notwithstanding that my current bike lives in the drive. Apparently they can refer it to the underwriter, but given that other quotes from comparison sites are triple the current cost, I think I'll be parking this idea for a while! :crybaby:

We'll my current insurer, Hastings, won't insure it without 2 years NCB and it being stored in a locked​ garage, notwithstanding that my current bike lives in the drive. Apparently they can refer it to the underwriter, but given that other quotes from comparison sites are triple the current cost, I think I'll be parking this idea for a while! :crybaby:

* groan *

This had been about the most exciting thread I've read all year ... but what a flat squib of an ending. :cry: I feel so cheated.

* groan *

This had been about the most exciting thread I've read all year ... but what a flat squib of an ending. :cry: I feel so cheated.

Think how I feel!

Your time will come Lat :thumb:

Haha, I know. But as my wife will happily tell you, I'm not usually patient when I've set my heart on something!

You sound like me :lol: