Running in through the Cairngorms

Arwen

Finally I have mostly recovered from a cold, and I booked Monday off as the weather looked promising and I wanted to put some miles on my new BMW F700GS. In a turn of luck, my other half also managed to get the day off and the weather was fantastic! So we set off north, heading up to Bremar via Blairgowrie using the A93, which is apparently among the best biking roads in the UK. I've never been up this way on a bike, and only once in a car (a long time ago!) so new roads, new bike and should add around 150 miles onto my new bike.

Our route:

Route.thumb.jpg.e2863197ed21ac5080f645556339cdae.jpg

The roads between Dundee and Blairgowrie I know pretty well. These are the roads I go to to "play" on my MSX when I've got a few hours spare. The extra power and weight of the F700 was welcome in the more exposed and windy sections but I was pleasantly surprised at how similar it felt to the little MSX in the twisty corners. I then had a bit of a panic as I noticed my fuel light had came on! Quickly managed to signal to Rob that we needed to stop at Blairgowrie Tesco for fuel. Which turned out to be an ideal stop to have a drink, as it was boiling hot!

IMG_20170717_121356.thumb.jpg.17be9e49d7d96677745b5d188a7c4e7e.jpg

This being my first fuel up on this bike, I listened to others about the F series bikes and did not "over fill" it. So it didn't dribble down the side once I stood the bike up. Ace! Ended up chatting to one of the security folk at Tesco for 15-20min. He said he had noticed a number of large groups heading up to Bremar, so the road might be busy.

We set off again, after Bridge of Cally the scenery gets more and more dramatic. Reminds me of why I love living in Scotland, to have places like this pretty much on my back door.

The A93 is indeed a fantastic road. Large sections have been freshly resurfaced so beautiful black ribbons squiggling through the valley. This is the first time I have truly wished I had a helmet cam.

By this point I was really getting a feel for my bike, although I still find myself leaning over much further on the right side than the left. Stopped at a couple of lay bys for pictures.

35815032252_3f218afd32.jpg

35815031042_2e3314e3c8.jpg

35815035852_658c253e57.jpg

Token arty shot:

35146014214_389e0b3b1e.jpg

We saw many bikers, both UK and foreign marked bikes, making the most of the fantastic weather. Some of the guys on their supersports absolutely terrified me when I saw how quick and sharply they were taking the corners.

So on we went, past Bremar and the weird crowd of folk lounging outside Balmoral Castle, through Abonye and on to Banchory. Where we decided to stop for lunch due to free bike parking in the council site. Well Done Aberdeenshire council!

The road between Bremar and Banchory could have been reasonable fun, if it wasn't for the number of slow and scary drivers. It's pretty exposed in places too, however it helped me with getting over my dislike of wind on the bike.

Meal deal eaten and charity shops rifled through we got back on the bikes to take one of my favourite roads from when I used to work in Aberdeenshire. The Old Military Road over the Cairn O'Mount (B974).

This road is full of twisty bends, odd cambers, big sweeping bends, monster incline/declines, and snakes through an ancient feeling forest before opening up into the barren and wind swept hill tops.

I love this road, even in the car, and have looked forward to doing it on a bike. My little MSX is not fit for it however (my Clio struggled on some of the hills...) so I was delighted to get such good weather for it on my F700GS.

However... the dreaded "dump gravel on it" surface dressing folk had been very recently and we were reduced to taking about 10 miles of it at 20mph :crybaby:

So I'll be heading back here at some point to enjoy it properly!

35596789620_4ed85dc062.jpg

The lure of Game of Thrones and dinner along with a numb bum meant once we reached Laurencekirk we simply jump on the dual carriageway (A90) and headed home rather than follow the coast down to Dundee(nicer road).

We both hate the A90 at the best of times... It is a mighty boring road, full of idiot drivers and nasty cross carriageway turns. This time was no different, however I now know how awful wind fatigue is...

All in all, I had a lovely day out. The bike is feeling fantastic, more and more I am feeling I actually picked the right bike rather than just spoiled myself rotten with it :lol: Looking at it beside Robs R1150GSA I am surprised by how tall it actually looks. It is not obvious that it is a lowered bike, which I am pleased about. On inspection this morning, the engine is not even marked from all the horrible gravel I went over. Which suprised me since my MSX is speckled from it! It seems BMW use much more paint than Honda :)

Sounds like a good day out.

My OH is from Aberdeen and the roads round Banchory, ballater,Braemar and Tomintoul are spectacular.

Just wish I could get up there on the bike :(

Being in Dundee I'm never too far from a great road. :)

Whats stopping you bringing the bike up? Rob's brother brought his up from Devon earlier on this year so he could do some of the roads around us! There is over course the alternative - hire a bike from Eccose Motorcycles in Aberdeen/Dundee. I think Shirlaws in Aberdeen do hires too. Motorrad Central in Dalkeith, where I bought mine from, also run a renting business. They have a massive fleet of bikes for rent!

The Tomintoul road is one I will do eventually too. Probably when we arrange a little camping trip up to Inverness.

The OH is not into bikes so would not be appreciated if I sod off to Scotland to "play" on the bike. She would love to do the roads, which we have done, but in the car.

the other route i would love on the bike is road through Applecross from A896. Again have done it in the car.

But one day and then I would bike up.

Everyone should come to Scotland at least once in their lives :D

We have just booked a holiday home in north berwick for Oct half term.

Makes a change from Glasgow n parkhead...lol