Beulah to Tregaron

fastbob

Yesterday I decided to go to Borth near Aberystwyth in the hope of getting a great view of last nights meteor shower. I've been on that run ( from Coventry ) many times , it's basically A44 all the way. I wanted to try something different so I decided to get as far as the cafe at Crossgates then down to Builth Wells then find the remote mountain road from Beulah to Tregaron. Well I can now say wow! What a stunning road and what amazing scenery. BUT, what I hadn't anticipated was a nasty series of climbing hairpins that I now know to be called The Devils Staircase. Unfortunately my poor old ER5 that performed bravely on my 1600 mile trip to Scotland last week decided enough was enough and burned out the clutch. I managed to gently nurse it to Aberystwyth where I decided to keep going until I was back in Coventry. Well I made it mainly because the roads on a Saturday night were deserted so as long as I could keep moving at 60 mph by just staying under the clutches breaking free point I was able to drone all the way home. Anyway here's a pic of something that made me smile. Google maps describe this as " very remote place with phone box and letter box " pretty accurate I think

http://i.imgur.com/9vMmZkj.jpg

we like the picture not the burning out clutch :( glad you got home safe sure you'll have it fixed in no time!

Cheers, new clutch just arrived, needs a good soak in oil first , should be back on the road by Saturday. I'll try to be more gentle with this one. Its a good job I didn't try to ride up Bealach na Ba to Applecross the week before!

• 4 weeks later...

Redemption! Fitted a new clutch, changed the oil, went back to that bloody hill and conquered it. This time I went M42,M5 & M50 to Monmouth then Abergavenny , Brecon,Builth Wells , Beulah , Tregaron , Aberystwyth then A44 all the way home. Once again the A44 was empty on a Saturday evening but much more fun with a clutch! I have to say Abergavenny to Builth Wells is a great bit of near perfect biking road, can't wait to go there again but maybe next time I'll take the GSXR.