Manhandling bike with contact on

Guides to improve riding, motorbike manuals, and other useful information.
Mississippi Bullfrog
Has Liked: 29 times
Been Liked: 105 times

Re: Manhandling bike with contact on

#16 Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Joeman wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:33 pm
But he did have full control, he just didnt expect someone to grab the throttle and crank it open!
If he had full control why didn't he throttle back, apply the brakes or hit the kill switch? If he was in control and chose not to then it's his responsibility. If he couldn't then it's again his responsibility.

Joeman
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has Liked: 464 times
Been Liked: 670 times

#17 Post by Joeman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:18 pm
Joeman wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:33 pm
But he did have full control, he just didnt expect someone to grab the throttle and crank it open!
If he had full control why didn't he throttle back, apply the brakes or hit the kill switch? If he was in control and chose not to then it's his responsibility. If he couldn't then it's again his responsibility.
Ok, so when a bike jacker jumps you at the lights, takes your bike and runs over a school full of children, we'll blame you for not being in control of your bike since you didn't take the keys out or hit the kill switch...
No excuses about not expecting someone else to touch the bike..

Mississippi Bullfrog

#18 Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:14 pm

I think there is a rather big difference between being bike jacked and voluntarily dismounting a machine and pushing it from the rear with the engine still running. But if that's where the discussion is going then I'll happily admit to being wrong.

Joeman

#19 Post by Joeman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Not really that different at all. In both scenarios, the rider is doing something they have likely done many times before without issue, when suddenly someone else deliberately assumes control of the bike without permission.

Once the other person has control the rider can surely no longer be deemed at fault, and the person in control should accept responsibility for damages regardless of their good intentions.
But who's to say the OP wasn't some idiot who thought it would be funny to smash the riders bike up and saw the opportunity to do so? Not saying he was, but an outsider watching the event could easily make that assumption. The only difference being the OP probably apologised instead of laughed at the outcome.

No matter how vigilant you think you are, and how in control you think your are, there will always be an opportunity for someone motivated enough to take control and wreck your bike.

karinoushka

#20 Post by karinoushka » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:14 am

Throttled wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:24 am
Or still help, but after you ask and not by grabbing the throttle.
I think by full control he means hands on the handles while the engine is on. My boyfriend asked his motorcycling contacts. Their feedbacks is different as they identified two causes and two consequences. I opened the throttle and crashed his bike AND he left his engine running while not on the bike leaving room for anything to happen. Both at fault.

In the case of a hijack the rider has full control (engine on, hands on throttle), in my case he had not. Hand on saddle, arm fully extent and standing behind.

What gives me shivers is if a pedestrian saw him struggling, assumed his engine was off like I did, helped him by grabbing the handles instinctively and shot his bike on a kid passing by. Imagine how grave it could have turned out. 😱

If I had known his engine was running I would have NEVER hold his handle. I know full well handle is throttle. I'm not stupid Joe.

goat
Bike(s): Bandit 600 mk1
Has Liked: 50 times
Been Liked: 76 times

#21 Post by goat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:59 am

I'm going 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Op shouldn't have grabbed throttle, and whilst the owner was in control he has left a significant risk by leaving engine on and therefore throttle active. I don't move chainsaws about at work with the engine on and chainbrake off, 99% of the time nothing would happen but the one time something did it would likely be horrible. Of course no one else should touch that saw but as a basic risk assessment I can see that there is a small chance something could happen so I remove the risk by applying brake or turning it off. Owner could easily have done the same and I'm sure he will in the future.

Throttled
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Challenge score: 330
Has Liked: 115 times
Been Liked: 164 times

#22 Post by Throttled » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:10 pm

I agree with goat. I have never heard that there are bikes that stays in gear when the throttle is closed. If an auto car is still in drive, you have to keep your foot on the brake to stop it creeping, or it puts on the handbrake (wife's VW stop/start system does that). So the bike has no accident prevention built in, so it is up to the rider to ensure the throttle cannot be accidentally activated. He would have been better to stop the engine.
My blog about my career as a police officer in Scotland - https://rogerthepoliceman.wordpress.com/
Also on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/rogerthepoliceman/

Joeman

#23 Post by Joeman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:19 am

I've found the footage!!

https://i.imgur.com/INmRNjY.gifv

:lol:

Mississippi Bullfrog

#24 Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:59 am

Joeman wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:19 am
I've found the footage!!

Makes you realise that as soon as the bike starts to move the movement of the bike opens the throttle even if the person holding it isn't twisting it.

Six30
BANNED
Bike(s): Kawasaki Z1000 SX
Has Liked: 586 times
Been Liked: 972 times

#25 Post by Six30 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Joeman wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:19 am
I've found the footage!!

Karma is one of my favourite things :D
"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."