How long before your first off?

Guides to improve riding, motorbike manuals, and other useful information.
Dan0990
Bike(s): Yamaha R3

Re: How long before your first off?

#46 Post by Dan0990 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:43 am

Before I done my CBT, then not long after my CBT then again not long after I passed my bike test.

Live and learn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:cheers:

Tankbag
Bike(s): Hayabusa Gen1
Has Liked: 261 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#47 Post by Tankbag » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:09 pm

First off in 1979 I was pillion on a mates mv too fast into a bend, down, down, peg scrape & off, almost no damage to the bike we just ripped our jackets.
2009 in France after all day in the saddle I forgot which way to look at a junction went to pull out & a car from where I hadn't looked appeared, in the shock I forgot to put my foot down & fell over. What a joy riding back to Blighty with half a clutch lever.
Touch wood ok since then :angel12:
If it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem

MrBrightside
Bike(s): Hayabusa Gen 2
Has Liked: 97 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#48 Post by MrBrightside » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:28 am

26 years for me :thumb:
Sent on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge via GCHQ

cockercas
Bike(s): cpi suv125,CBR600 RR
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 44 times

#49 Post by cockercas » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:06 pm

Baloo wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:31 pm
cockercas wrote:Had 3 or 4 this year :shock:
Bad man! :twisted:

Got me hook line and sinker.

I'm on a cocktail of drugs at the moment, my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :roll:
I fell off again.
Caught on camera aswell :oops:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C0XyCetkcMc
21:15
Slightly off line, wets not fully up to temp.
Bit more lean to compensate and lost the front.
My racing page 8-)
https://m.facebook.com/Addyracing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Albrynmair
Bike(s): Triumph tiger 800
Has Liked: 1 time

#50 Post by Albrynmair » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:39 am

Came off yesterday :oops:

I have had my full bike license about 13 months and was riding a Kawasaki Vulcan s, then decided to change it for a Triumph Tiger 800 (which is a lot nicer to ride) I took the wife for a spin yesterday and she wanted to go to Bala, so I headed from Lake Vyrnwy over the narrow road to Rhos Y Gwaliau, we met a few cars but nothing to taxing. Anyway not far from the end the narrow road, we caught up with a car and another car came to met us, so the car we followed pulled in and stopped I changed down to first pulled the clutch in and started to crawl. The car coming to met us had passed, all seemed ok, then the car that had stopped in front stayed stopped in front and indicated left at the very last second so I could pass, so I tried to go around and went to wide, my front wheel went into the ditch and over we went. No one hurt and no damage except my pride :cry:

We got off the bike and to be fair the gentleman was straight out of his car asking if we were ok and we was only trying to let us past, he did help me pull the bike out the ditch tho.

Lesson learnt, I think I must have got too close to him hence forcing me so wide and not wanting to hit his car with my bike or the panniers, because they stick out a little bit.

:)

LifeofPhil
Bike(s): Lexmoto Aspire
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 21 times

#51 Post by LifeofPhil » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Hoggs wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:49 am

Fell off the 125 about 8 months after my CBT, wet road.. traffic lights changed... grabbed all the front brake ended up on my side. Lept up and apologised the the actually concerned drivers who had come to help :lol: found out later I'd broken my foot and toe.
Is this why you recommended good boots to me?

Hoggs
Bike(s): ZX-6R
Challenge score: 20
Has Liked: 1804 times
Been Liked: 1227 times

#52 Post by Hoggs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:41 pm

LifeofPhil wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:24 pm
Hoggs wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:49 am

Fell off the 125 about 8 months after my CBT, wet road.. traffic lights changed... grabbed all the front brake ended up on my side. Lept up and apologised the the actually concerned drivers who had come to help :lol: found out later I'd broken my foot and toe.
Is this why you recommended good boots to me?
yup. I had non biker but calf leather boots so they protected my ankle but decent boots would possibly have prevented some of the damage. Broken feet suck so much. :crybaby:
ImageImage

Stopping you having fun since 2017

Yeldur
Bike(s): Sinnis Stealth
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 2 times

#53 Post by Yeldur » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Albrynmair wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:39 am
Came off yesterday :oops:

I have had my full bike license about 13 months and was riding a Kawasaki Vulcan s, then decided to change it for a Triumph Tiger 800 (which is a lot nicer to ride) I took the wife for a spin yesterday and she wanted to go to Bala, so I headed from Lake Vyrnwy over the narrow road to Rhos Y Gwaliau, we met a few cars but nothing to taxing. Anyway not far from the end the narrow road, we caught up with a car and another car came to met us, so the car we followed pulled in and stopped I changed down to first pulled the clutch in and started to crawl. The car coming to met us had passed, all seemed ok, then the car that had stopped in front stayed stopped in front and indicated left at the very last second so I could pass, so I tried to go around and went to wide, my front wheel went into the ditch and over we went. No one hurt and no damage except my pride :cry:

We got off the bike and to be fair the gentleman was straight out of his car asking if we were ok and we was only trying to let us past, he did help me pull the bike out the ditch tho.

Lesson learnt, I think I must have got too close to him hence forcing me so wide and not wanting to hit his car with my bike or the panniers, because they stick out a little bit.

:)
On a rather unrelated note, what's the Vulcan S like to ride? I've been looking at getting it for my A2 license bike potentially.
Current Bike: Sinnis Stealth 125

NewBob
Bike(s): SINNIS TRACKSTAR 125cc (L)
Has Liked: 3 times

#54 Post by NewBob » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:49 pm

11 months of riding, 1st off was the same month i started (dec 16) on ice, stalled it on a slow embanked corner hit ice n took a v.minor slip, no damage except my bent gear lever... next near miss someone clipped my exhaust while they were changing lanes and a wobble, corrected n carried on. Next event was my slow speed front impact but stayed upright, not my fault but damaged my confidence a bit and the bike was wrote off! Locked up a few times on the poorly setup hire bike, back break was too tight and the wheel locked everytime in the wet! Learned how to correct rear lock ups as a result and stayed upright while doing so. Today was my first front wheel slip, still dont know why/how it happened? Wasnt breaking or turning, or speeding. Front just went and before i knew what was happening i was sideways and trying to keep my leg out of the still spinning back wheel that carried me round 180°! Carried onto work but my ride back was the most scared ive been so far, no confidence, too slow to warm tyres, too little grip as a result! Sadly (or not) I only have the bike or I dont get to work so winter is a time I must ride. Tyre pressure was correct, i think just bad luck/diesel on road (I hope). Next summer will be my bigger bike test so till then I will just keep riding like it never happened and learn from it if i can. Am I a proper biker yet? Ive got bruises that counts right? :booty:

NewBob
Bike(s): SINNIS TRACKSTAR 125cc (L)
Has Liked: 3 times

#55 Post by NewBob » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:56 pm

NewBob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:49 pm
11 months of riding, 1st off was the same month i started (dec 16) on ice, stalled it on a slow embanked corner hit ice n took a v.minor slip, no damage except my bent gear lever... next near miss someone clipped my exhaust while they were changing lanes and a wobble, corrected n carried on. Next event was my slow speed front impact but stayed upright, not my fault but damaged my confidence a bit and the bike was wrote off! Locked up a few times on the poorly setup hire bike, back break was too tight and the wheel locked everytime in the wet! Learned how to correct rear lock ups as a result and stayed upright while doing so. Today was my first front wheel slip, still dont know why/how it happened? Wasnt breaking or turning, or speeding. Front just went and before i knew what was happening i was sideways and trying to keep my leg out of the still spinning back wheel that carried me round 180°! Carried onto work but my ride back was the most scared ive been so far, no confidence, too slow to warm tyres, too little grip as a result! Sadly (or not) I only have the bike or I dont get to work so winter is a time I must ride. Tyre pressure was correct, i think just bad luck/diesel on road (I hope). Next summer will be my bigger bike test so till then I will just keep riding like it never happened and learn from it if i can. Am I a proper biker yet? Ive got bruises that counts right? :booty:
Oh fyi... i have been thinking i wear too much protection, armoured knees, elbows, sholders, fingers, boots... the works... i might get more armour. Deffo worth it even if you sweat your balls off... my shoulder hurts, my elbow hurts, my pride hurts but nouthing broken :thumb:

RantMachine
Bike(s): None... for now
Has Liked: 658 times
Been Liked: 578 times

#56 Post by RantMachine » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Knee braces are the best thing ever, just sayin'!
Disclaimer: RantMachine don't know shit

Rodders
Bike(s): TBC
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 27 times

#57 Post by Rodders » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:02 pm

On my first DAS training session today.
Slowed down for a roundabout, wobbled, foot down but couldn't stopped the bike tipping over. I stayed on my feet though, so maybe doesn't count.

LifeofPhil
Bike(s): Lexmoto Aspire
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 21 times

#58 Post by LifeofPhil » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 am

Tonight, about 40 minuets ago.
On a roundabout as I came up to start exiting I felt the back wheel slip out and ...crash. I was only doing about 20 in second gear so not very fast. When I got my Bike to the side of the Road I had a look around the roundabout and found two puddles of different liquids, one was petrol (I think) the other was unknown.
I'm Ok but my bike is a little bent up. No idea where to start fixing/inspecting it. I'm going to be learning a lot about mechanics over the next few days.
:crybaby: :x :(

NeilM
Bike(s): ST 1050
Has Liked: 410 times
Been Liked: 315 times

#59 Post by NeilM » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:46 am

LifeofPhil wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 am
Tonight, about 40 minuets ago.
On a roundabout as I came up to start exiting I felt the back wheel slip out and ...crash. I was only doing about 20 in second gear so not very fast. When I got my Bike to the side of the Road I had a look around the roundabout and found two puddles of different liquids, one was petrol (I think) the other was unknown.
I'm Ok but my bike is a little bent up. No idea where to start fixing/inspecting it. I'm going to be learning a lot about mechanics over the next few days.
:crybaby: :x :(
As long as you are relatively ok.
Bikes can be fixed.
Chin up

JRH
The Hoggfather!
Bike(s): Bandit1250
Challenge score: 390
Has Liked: 313 times
Been Liked: 432 times

#60 Post by JRH » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 am

OOpps not good. Glad you are OK and as said the bike can be fixed.
Current Bandit 1250 :D
Previous GP125 GSX250 GT750(had 2) GPX750

2017 challenge 100
North Midlands 9 /10
South Midlands 10 /10
East 0 / 10
Wales 0/10
Pubs 10 / 10