Pinlock use at night

JRH

• 1 year later...

There is a lot of nonsense required of companies.

For example Dettol is advertised as killing 99.9 per cent of germs however Dettol kills 100 percent of germs, this has been known since its introduction.

Killing 99.9 per cent of germs is worthless, one single germ in 24 hours becomes over 1 billion germs and Dettol kills all germs dead, but they are not allowed to say that it kills all germs for legal and litigation reasons. Any failure of Dettol to kill every germ could be construed in a court as Dettol misleading the customer whereas the customer was irresponsible in their use of the product.

Pinlock cannot risk endorsing their product for any application and to be used with other manufacturers products, the potential costs in defending an action through the courts could break the company. The fault does not lie with pinlock but with the legal system which in the uk does not depend upon either justice or truth, but instead hinges entirely on the strength of the arguments presented in court.

Reading the emails leads me to believe that the pinlock product is quite safe to use at night and pinlock know it to be so, but the company must refuse to endorse it as such for the reasons stated.

If a customer had an accident and the judge hearing the case who, lets face it is unlikely to be a biker hears arguments from a supposed expert who states that the pinlock device contributed to the accident, when pinlock assured the customer that there would be no risk, the judge would more than likely rule that pinlock is culpable and guilty of misleading the customer. heavy compensation for the customer would then result and pinlock would be subject to further legal action, the company may never recover from that.

It is much safer to sidestep the issues and let the customer decide when and where to use it.

Got a pinlock on my Arai Quantum, never had a problem at night.

It’d be stupid if you couldn’t use it, as night time is when the temperature drops and condensation on the inside of your visor is more likely.

In fact I took the visor off on Friday as I thought the pin lock was starting to look a bit passed its best, but after removing cleaning and refitting it, it was good as new.

Who ever in Arai who came up with the visor lever release system should be made to fall on their sword. Every time I take the visor out I wince and pray I don’t snap anything.

• 4 years later...

It's actually quite simple.  The clear one is probably fine to use at night but Linlock's lawyers have got involved so there is now the legal disclaimer so beloved these days. 

The problem now becomes do you ride at night if Pinlock have said dont. If you are risk averse, given Pinlock's position, don't use one - you will need to buy another spare visor or take the pin lock out to ride home. If you take the point of view that the police won't give  damn as long as you were wearing a clear pinlock with the aim of decreasing  fogging and increasing visibity then go ahead.