Do they teach you wrong cornering?

algiogia

Thanks both, appreciate your time to explain :cheers:

So I've popped out and can say it feels "natural" to pull on the left bar l, if turning right and visa versa when turning left, it actually leans your body, slightly into the turn!

I also tried the push on the right to turn right, but felt a little more upright when doing so.

Great stuff. The more miles you get under your belt, the more you'll find that you'll do these things without consciously thinking about them. You'll really start to enjoy your riding then.

Just ride the thing, your brain knows what it's doing, if it don't you won't make the first corner

Couldn't agree more, except I tend not to connect my brain too often to learn my lesson!

Married twice, and now at 45 expecting child number 4! Which is due in 9 weeks, and an offer accepted on a house, moving in date 10-12 weeks!

Couldn't agree more, except I tend not to connect my brain too often to learn my lesson!

Married twice, and now at 45 expecting child number 4! Which is due in 9 weeks, and an offer accepted on a house, moving in date 10-12 weeks!

I can't help thinking you have more to worry about than cornering on a motorcycle ! :oops:

Just ride the thing, your brain knows what it's doing, if it don't you won't make the first corner

Too true, funnily enough on both CBT and DAS not once were we told how to steer.

@Via we were asked if we could ride a pushbike

Now you've said it I was asked that on CBT. DAS I was just shown how to work the immobiliser then told to follow instructor and straight out for a ride.

• 3 weeks later...

There is racing way of riding, breaking into the corner accelarating soon as you can out, leaning into the bend

Then there is normal way of riding.....

That IS the normal way of riding. Okay you don't need to get your knee down or scrape your pegs but slow on entry and accelerate out of the bend once you can see the exit is the way to go. And yes the bike will lean and so will you. Suggest you try riding a bike before telling us how it's done.

You never should brake into the corner all the braking should be done before the corner unless your going racing or trying to be fast and ''cool''

Trail braking isn't something you should be looking at practicing on the road if you can't get the hang of normal cornering

Slow in fast out, roll on the throttle past the apex and the bike will increase stability and will want to stand up and take you out of the corner , don't be afraid to to lean it into the bend.

Slow in fast out, roll on the throttle past the apex

Not saying you're wrong in what you just said, but can I just add for any new riders reading this who may misunderstand, keep the throttle open a little as you corner, then roll on more as you pass the apex as Bender says. If you close the throttle the engine will be braking and the suspension will be unsettled.

Guest Richzx6r

Trail braking isn't something you should be looking at practicing on the road if you can't get the hang of normal cornering

Slow in fast out, roll on the throttle past the apex and the bike will increase stability and will want to stand up and take you out of the corner , don't be afraid to to lean it into the bend.

I do love abit of trail braking if I'm out for a decent blatt around the b roads

Guest Richzx6r

One other thing to think about when you are riding is look through corners as far as the vanishing point will allow, be sure with throttle inputs and dont accelerate until you are definite you wont need to come off the throttle again as doing so will upset the balance through a corner and could give you a brown trouser moment, one thing I have found that really helps is talking to yourself what you can see as talking it through builds confidence as you are sure about what you are seeing and doing and gives your brain slightly less to do so anything you didn't see you will feel more able to cope with, it works best when you are getting abit of a lick on but also when you are just out for a gentle relaxing ride

Define wrong. When I learnt to drive I was taught to wheel shuffle - If I still did that it'd take me about twice as long to get anywhere!

They teach you what you need to know to increase your chances of keeping control as a noob and decrease the likelihood of you painting yourself across the tarmac before you've even finished training. After that its down to you to either get more advanced training or figure it out for yourself. There's a very good reason you hear so many people say that you don't start to really learn to ride/drive until you've passed your test.

Define wrong. When I learnt to drive I was taught to wheel shuffle - If I still did that it'd take me about twice as long to get anywhere!

The problem is most do that wrong - you're meant to bring your hands up to 12 o'clock and then move them down to 6 o'clock.

When you do it that way you can do many turns in minimal actual movements. But most people do something like 11 o'clock to quarter past/quarter to. My gran included.

Guest Richzx6r

The problem is most do that wrong - you're meant to bring your hands up to 12 o'clock and then move them down to 6 o'clock.

When you do it that way you can do many turns in minimal actual movements. But most people do something like 11 o'clock to quarter past/quarter to. My gran included.

Why do that when one hand is more than sufficient