New battery?? Noob question

josh_vity_125

Hi

Ive never been on a motorcycle before, so absolute noob. Last week bought a 125 scooter, low mileage, good condition etc...

However once I got the scooter home, the battery was dead. Got a refund. And now shopping for new battery.

I found the model number and dimension of battery needed.

My question is:

does a new battery arrive charged? Half charged?do I need to charge it? Do I need a battery float?

So frustrating having bike in shed, but cant even start it!!

Kind regards

It depends on the Battery type, some arrive fully charged, some do not.

As a general rule of thumb batteries that are described as GEL or AGM arrive fully charged. Certain types that need a charger have now been banned from the postal system.. so cannot be ordered online anymore.

read the description carefully... if a battery needs to be charged before its fitted, the description by the seller should tell you this.

I dont know if they make one for your bike.. but if you can buy a "Motobatt" branded battery.. then get it. these are really good and can be fitted straight away.

if worse comes to the worse.. a motorbike battery charger isn't expensive and always useful to have.

It depends on the Battery type, some arrive fully charged, some do not.

As a general rule of thumb batteries that are described as GEL or AGM arrive fully charged. Certain types that need a charger have now been banned from the postal system.. so cannot be ordered online anymore.

read the description carefully... if a battery needs to be charged before its fitted, the description by the seller should tell you this.

I dont know if they make one for your bike.. but if you can buy a "Motobatt" branded battery.. then get it. these are really good and can be fitted straight away.

if worse comes to the worse.. a motorbike battery charger isn't expensive and always useful to have.

Thanks for the reply, im in switzerland so a bit of a language barrier, basically EVERY video ive seen online, they charge the battery and stress that the first charge is paramount on the life expectancy and that batteries arrive 80% blah blah..

The battery I will be probably getting is YTX7A-BS AGM maintenance free.

Once again thanks for the reply, my concern was to receive a battery that needs charging, with no means to charge it

I will see if I can find motobatt 👍👍

• 7 months later...

Chargers !! Buy the scabbyest cheapest one you can find they all do same job .

No.. they don't. My bike is fairly new.. and if I were to follow your advice I would (very likely) destroy the battery.

But that aside. A battery 'minder or 'optimiser'' is worlds apart from a standard battery charger.. even though they both do the same thing. One can bring a battery back to life without much fuss. Or give you an answer... "This battery is beyond repair".

The other might struggle.. or indeed, never succeed and a battery that is salvageable gets binned unnecessarily.

Which means an unnecessary bill to pay.. And more inconvenience.

Chargers !! Buy the scabbyest cheapest one you can find they all do same job .

As above - most definitely not true. A cheapo charger might be fine for your old lead acid car battery. But for a modern motorcycle battery you want an intelligent charger. Even most replacement car batteries now need an intelligent charger because of their construction.

• 1 month later...

batteries are ordered by spec. on the old battery there will be a number in ah. a popular scoot battery is 4.5ah. you order the cheapest one. lead acid. it comes dry. when you add the electrolyte the chemicals in the plates come to full charge. they are not expensive at all. its fully charged because of the chemical make up of the chemical plates.

you will need a charger. I have an auto type so I can charge fast if I need. in the winter you bring the battery inside when you are not going to ride and charge it every so often.

batteries are ordered by spec. on the old battery there will be a number in ah. a popular scoot battery is 4.5ah. you order the cheapest one. lead acid. it comes dry. when you add the electrolyte the chemicals in the plates come to full charge. they are not expensive at all. its fully charged because of the chemical make up of the chemical plates.

you will need a charger. I have an auto type so I can charge fast if I need. in the winter you bring the battery inside when you are not going to ride and charge it every so often.

Several points here that I would not agree with . Firstly you don't need to order the cheapest one if you don't want to . If you want a good quality battery you don't mind paying for it. If a bike is fitted as standard with a sealed gel type battery a conventional lead acid battery of the same spec would not fit in the battery compartment and it would not be compatible with the bike's charging system. A lead acid battery would also not be suitable in many bikes where the battery is mounted lying down or at an angle .Batteries don't come dry anymore in Great Britain and you definitely cannot obtain the acid to fill one yourself . I appreciate that you are keen to be helpful but you do need to be a little more accurate with your statements .

Edited by fastbob

Several points here that I would not agree with . Firstly you don't need to order the cheapest one if you don't want to . If you want a good quality battery you don't mind paying for it. If a bike is fitted as standard with a sealed gel type battery a conventional lead acid battery of the same spec would not fit in the battery compartment and it would not be compatible with the bike's charging system. A lead acid battery would also not be suitable in many bikes where the battery is mounted lying down or at an angle .Batteries don't come dry anymore in Great Britain and you definitely cannot obtain the acid to fill one yourself . I appreciate that you are keen to be helpful but you do need to be a little more accurate with your statements .

fastbob I stand corrected. been many years since I ordered a battery. lead acid is still available here but agm technology has taken over. I still think ordering the thing by spec and lowest price is wise. agm 12v 4.5ah still costs 14$ on ebay. agm is fine.

that 10ah biscuit needs a very specific charger and is not compatable with a scoot rec/reg. the op will fry his nuts with that battery.