Question regarding exhausts

Yeldur

Hi all,

Got a quick question as I'm not 100% sure, got pulled today for my baby sized numberplate (Should have gotten the bloody replacement after my legal one broke :lol: :lol: :lol: ) - They did an inspection of the bike and told me that because my exhaust wasn't stamped (Or they couldn't find a stamp, not sure which it is as I had no idea that there were even regs regarding that) that it wasn't road legal and that I need to get it replaced.

They didn't fine me or even caution me (EDIT: For the exhaust! I did get a fine for the plate!) which technically means that the stop and the fine I received are null & void, but I digress...

Is the officer correct? Do I need to replace my exhaust?

This is the exhaust I'm currently using:

https://dan-moto.com/collections/bandit/products/ldexgp-su2001-r5-1

Currently riding a Bandit 600

It was on the bike when I bought it, I never thought anything of it and didn't bother checking it as it sounded good and that was all that I really cared about at the time.

Edited by Yeldur

Have a read here

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1995/2370/made

"The requirements relating to silencers

3.—(1) The requirements with which a silencer must comply for the purposes of section 1(1) of the Act are that the silencer must be—

(a)clearly and indelibly marked in accordance with paragraphs 3.1 to 3.1.3 of Annex II to the Directive, or

(b)clearly and indelibly marked “BS AU 193/T2”, “BS AU 193a: 1990/T2” or “BS AU 193a: 1990/T3” (being marks referred to in the British Standard Specifications indicating that certain requirements specified in those instruments are met)."

Have a read here

3.—(1) The requirements with which a silencer must comply for the purposes of section 1(1) of the Act are that the silencer must be—

(a)clearly and indelibly marked in accordance with paragraphs 3.1 to 3.1.3 of Annex II to the Directive, or

(b)clearly and indelibly marked “BS AU 193/T2”, “BS AU 193a: 1990/T2” or “BS AU 193a: 1990/T3” (being marks referred to in the British Standard Specifications indicating that certain requirements specified in those instruments are met)."

Interesting. I have Ironhead end cans on my Thruxton (manufactured in Spain by Ixil) which, according to the Squaredeals website, are approved to European standards with the baffles installed. They bear the marking E9 04615 G / E9 04616 G so I wonder if that makes them UK street legal?

You will need to investigate where the markings are E9 is an EU standard and would be an equivalent to the BS (british standard not bulls**t)

Maybe the marking is next to the connection on the inside.

The UK law in this matter is the same as EU so Spanish companies would have the same obligations.

Just buy some oil and a filter from the same place that does the MOT about a week before you book it in . The guy that does mine dosen't give a shit anyway because he knows everyone is going to put the race can back on or remove the baffles when they get home .

Usually road legal after market exhaust will come with certificate. I got my mivv with certificate and Leo vince before.

My MIVV came with a credit card sized homologation certificate to say it complied with whatever latest Euro standards. Given it replaced an effectively straight through pipe with another straight through pipe I can't see any issues. The baffles etc are still in place.

Has it had an MOT with that exhaust on?

Yep, passed every MOT it's ever had with flying colours.

I asked the police about it at the time and they said that MOTers generally don't bother checking it, but it's still illegal according to them.

Have a read here

Thanks, guess it is illegal then if it doesn't have that stamp. A damn shame as I love this exhaust lmfao

Usually road legal after market exhaust will come with certificate. I got my mivv with certificate and Leo vince before.

Unfortunately that's not something I have, as I purchased the bike as it was and didn't receive that when I purchased it from the guy. I received the receipt for it from the garage that installed it but not a certificate or anything.

Bad luck :(

My old GSX-R600 had an unmarked exhaust. A bit on loud side, but it passed the MOTs cos the guys said they had no way to measure the noise level.

I was just lucky that I never got pulled for it.

My old GSX-R600 had an unmarked exhaust. A bit on loud side, but it passed the MOTs cos the guys said they had no way to measure the noise level.

To be fair the OP probably wouldn't have got pulled for the exhaust either,he got tugged for displaying illegal number plate :lol:

To be fair the OP probably wouldn't have got pulled for the exhaust either,he got tugged for displaying illegal number plate :lol:

Hmm. I think I had one of those as well :oops:

Any European standard markings will soon be null & void & only proper British standard markings will be allowed.

Any bike not sporting a BS kite mark on its exhaust will be crushed & it will serve the owner right for buying stuff off anyone that supports that EU shite or even worse .... a foreigner 🤣🤣

On a less serious note, when inspecting a previous bike of mine, the MoT guy always asked if I still had the original number plate & exhaust at home, I assured him I had to which he replied “ good, coz those ( pointing to my bike ) weren’t fitted when I inspected it !!”

He has now tightened up a bit & sent my mate home to fit a legal pipe before he would give him the ticketi, which my mate did & then promptly went home & refitted the grunty one.

I wonder if I can get away with it, he definitely did an inspection but as far as I'm aware he didn't note anything down, just said that he'd be back to see me in 2-3 weeks to check that I'd changed the exhaust (I suspect that it's a lie to pressure me into changing it, because why would he actually bother)

Like stated before really, I got pulled because of the plate, chances are so long as I stay legal in other measures it won't be noticed.

That being said, if I got pulled by the same bloke again I'd be screwed in all likelihood lmfao.

So long as it passes MOT not sure that it's too much of an issue besides me maybe getting another fine. That being said will probably need to inspect the bike properly and see if it does actually have a stamp.

I must have a decent MOTer as he's never brought it up before lmfao, always passed with flying colours no questions asked!

Edited by Yeldur

I wonder if I can get away with it, he definitely did an inspection but as far as I'm aware he didn't note anything down, just said that he'd be back to see me in 2-3 weeks to check that I'd changed the exhaust (I suspect that it's a lie to pressure me into changing it, because why would he actually bother)

Like stated before really, I got pulled because of the plate, chances are so long as I stay legal in other measures it won't be noticed.

That being said, if I got pulled by the same bloke again I'd be screwed in all likelihood lmfao.

I just don't understand why he made a fuss about the exhaust but didn't give you a "present" for the number plate. That would have been a easy one for him.

Next time tell him that is hidden somewhere where you can't see it. say that you took it off and you saw it :thumb: I guarantee you that he won't get his hands dirty to check it

I just don't understand why he made a fuss about the exhaust but didn't give you a "present" for the number plate. That would have been a easy one for him.

Oh he did, I received a £100 fine for the plate, but he didn't bother to go any further with the exhaust, not too sure why, but presumably it was too much effort for him to bother.

Edit: Sorry, just realised I didn't make that clear in the original post, I should have said they didn't fine me for the exhaust, they definitely did for the plate!

Oh he did, I received a £100 fine for the plate, but he didn't bother to go any further with the exhaust, not too sure why, but presumably it was too much effort for him to bother.

So you paid £100 because you didn't spent £12 on a proper plate... :scratch:

So you paid £100 because you didn't spent £12 on a proper plate... :scratch:

Yeah not the smartest move admittedly hahahahaha, I did originally have a legal plate on it, but it snapped, and at that point I just put back on the plate it came with (Which was illegal) and didn't bother to get a replacement for it.

Going to be ordering a proper plate today so that I don't get pulled again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ebay... heat resistant road legal sticker.

Sounds like a good way to make things worse if I did happen to get inspected again for it hahahaha, I'd rather get caught with the exhaust than get caught actively trying to hide that I had the exhaust :D