Lack of confidence

Guides to improve riding, motorbike manuals, and other useful information.
JRH
The Hoggfather!
Bike(s): Bandit1250
Challenge score: 390
Has Liked: 287 times
Been Liked: 403 times

Re: Lack of confidence

#16 Post by JRH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:47 am

someone wrote: * One thing I did early on was buy a cheap camera (an SJ4000) as a learning aid and mount it on the handlebars to include the speedo .
I moved my camera. :roll:
Current Bandit 1250 :D
Previous GP125 GSX250 GT750(had 2) GPX750

2017 challenge 100
North Midlands 9 /10
South Midlands 10 /10
East 0 / 10
Wales 0/10
Pubs 10 / 10

tigger004
Been Liked: 3 times

#17 Post by tigger004 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:50 am

Lateralus wrote:I found that just getting out and practicing on twisty roads brought on tangible improvements. On a recent ride with a few other novices, some of whom hadn't been out much at all, I found that I was far from the slowest rider overall, despite being on the bike with the smallest engine.

I also have had a few corners where I've got halfway round and suddenly needed to fight the urge to grab the brakes after nearly bottling it. Interestingly, I read an article in Bike this month about the Bikesafe course, which I've already signed up for, where they say that if there's enough grip to stop an upright bike, there's also enough grip for a bike to get around the corner. After doing the course in July, I fully intend to sign up for some advanced training.
tigger004 wrote:The vanishing point moving away or towards you is a good indication of corner speed,
This video provides a decent explanation of this, which I found useful.
phpBB [media]
Thanks Lateral us a great supporting video of what I was saying.

Another thing is smoothness and where you are looking, a good source of info is a guy called Jerry Paladino (motorman), he is a bit cheesy but his stuff is from many years of being an american police biker.
He talks about "head and eyes" i have been riding since 1976 and it helped me improve a little. I also like his slow riding stuff with a feathered back brake.

Lastly, a lot of bikers brake or stand a bike up mid corner in panic, both actions have a bad outcome. Usually if you are not being nutty the bike would have got around the bend and the smoother the better. Throttling off / braking affect suspension at any time, doing it mid corner is not a good idea.

One of the other posts says about riding a road you know and increase confidence which is a great idea, something I did was use an empty car park.
Find one that is in good condition, pick a nice day, start off with a low speed and practice circles, figure eights and braking.
The advantage to this is that you can stand a bike up and ride out of an intended course of action without running out of road or worry of other vehicles (a bit like the CBT I guess)

Sorry I'm waffling now, but you enjoyment and safety comes with proper handling and control, get out and practice

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Bananaby
Bike(s): HONDA CBF125

#18 Post by Bananaby » Wed May 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Im a new rider on a CF125 in the same position :D I dont thinks its normal for bikes to be going slow enough to annoy cars but I started like that! :D

Albrynmair
Bike(s): Triumph tiger 800
Has Liked: 1 time

#19 Post by Albrynmair » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:52 pm

I passed my big bike test last year and travel to work 2 - 3 times a week over about a 9 month period and I am still nervous about some corners on my commute. In particular there is one windy section for approx. 2miles, which has trees either side and not much sunlight, so it tends to have leaves, sticks, loose gravel and mud just where I want to ride (between the car tyres) so I tend to go around these corners on the left hand side and rather slowly :oops: I'm not sure if I will be able to gain enough confidence to push that little bit harder.

Westbeef
I torque a lot!
Bike(s): CBR600F Sport
Challenge score: 40
Has Liked: 304 times
Been Liked: 616 times

#20 Post by Westbeef » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:59 pm

If the road surface is crap then don't even bother trying to go quicker, just take it easy and get there safely. I wouldn't say that's a lack of confidence, that's being sensible. :thumb:

Bender
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 63 times

#21 Post by Bender » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:33 pm

See if you can find a quiet industrial estate with a few roundabouts and have practice at seeing just how well your bike can corner, start off slow and just add a few more mph, my instructor put a lot of effort into cornering and ridding the bike out of the corner to keep it stable, he got me to follow him the first few times and built the speed up, after about the 4th time round the same little route going round quite a large roundabout i had an epiphany, I realized that i hadn't really being paying attention to just how fast or more to the point how far over i was leaning the bike, ohh my i thought, OK it might have included a few
more choice words than that.

He then got me to do a little slalom type maneuver and managed to get me to do 2 opposite maneuvers at the same time, not describing that very well but it was just to show me how it would feel if you try to confuse the bike, it was like trying to steer against a brick wall, the bike wanted to do what the bike wanted to do.

I think where i was going was, professional help is probably going to be the most beneficial for you, as has been said.
Bite my shiny, metal ass!

ozzuk
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 3 times

#22 Post by ozzuk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:57 pm

As a complete noob I didn't like corners - stumbled upon 'countersteering' on here and now they feel much more natural.

GONKO
Bike(s): Suzuki SV650s

#23 Post by GONKO » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Understanding counter steering help me hugely. Need to tighten the line, push the inside bar etc. Learn the concept then try it consciously on a ride. The bike will grip....but instead of speed being the limiting factor, counter steering will take over as your main thought. Also if shit goes wrong mid corner, my instructor said a dab of rear brake very gently applied, can sit the tail down and get the bike through......but he did say its not best for newbies to test it unless "absolutely needed".

Speedy23
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 1300A
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 10 times

#24 Post by Speedy23 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:39 pm

ozzuk wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:57 pm
As a complete noob I didn't like corners - stumbled upon 'countersteering' on here and now they feel much more natural.
Learn to countersteer and use it consistently - you will find you have a much better sense of being in control of the bike - making it do what you want, rather than just sitting there hoping for the best.

Also use it to straighten the bike again - you will have a much more positive, in control experience. Don't go mad at first - just a gentle pressure on the bar on the side you wish to turn to will make the bike progressively bank over.

You will soon get the hang of it. Also, don't bother hanging off the bike - no need for it on the road at this point in your riding career. Plenty of time for all that in future.