How long before your first off?

Via

Well Cockercas doesn't ride on the roads anymore at all so you won't be finding him :lol:

OK! Penny drops. :D :D :D

Well hopefully my wee story helps somebody else.

Had 3 or 4 this year :shock:

Bad man! :twisted:

Got me hook line and sinker.

I'm on a cocktail of drugs at the moment, my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :roll:

13 months for me. Went into a corner that closed up incredibly tightly incredibly quickly. Into a car and over a 5m wide ditch into a nice soft landing.

Since then trees have been cut so the corner is open and I quick slightly slower into them lol

Falling off all the time now. Usually at least once once every couple of weeks 😂

3 Months, too much front end brake in greasy conditions.

I've since found, if it's been lightly raining after a few days of sunny dry weather the conditions are probably at their worst. I much prefer it torrential than that now :lol:

Similar story here but for me it was damp morning and gritted road, I went into bit the sun had not dried and braked to hard... :oops:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About 2 months, a car decided he wanted the bit of road I was on forcing me into the gutter, I lost the back end and luckily fell into the grass verge. Just a small scrape in swing arm and a slight cut to my wrist.

I had 2 offs while training and cracked a rib. I stalled in the training yard on a bend and the handlebar went into my chest and they picked the bike off me. I got told when I felt upto it try again so I did that fell off 20 yards at the next bend and trapped my leg under the bike. But alls well as it never put me off and I have a shiny new licence

My first day on a proper geared bike on a path next to a river.

I was assured it had brake fluid (it didn't) then was going about 45mph and needed to stop urgently, nothing happened when I used either brakes, shifted straight down to 1st and lowsided.

Inexperience and over-confidence is just wonderful haha

• 3 weeks later...

6 months. Started riding in March and was lucky enough to have absolutely gorgeous weather for the following five months, then I went away on holiday for a fortnight and when I got back it was cold, wet, and slimy. Little experience riding in those conditions + couple of weeks away from riding + enjoying being back on the bike, rather spirited = going too fast around a bend before a junction, got to the apex and saw a larger queue ahead than expected, gave it too much rear brake while still coming out of the bend and subsequently lowsided down the A10 falling inches short of hitting the van in front :lol:

I'm not buying the "must fall off at some time" story.

After 20 years of skiing accidents I'm too fragile to fall off a bike. If I fall, I'll break, and probably never be fit again to get back on.

I'm a 48 year old newbie rider with less than a year under my arse on a bike (still managed nearly 7k miles though) and I have no intention (yeah like everyone before me) of falling off.

I ride in shit scared mode through my daily commute to Edinburgh which brings fair and steady progress through the traffic for minimum risk. Weekends are reserved for fun rides with a couple of old blokes who unlike me have actually spent a lifetime on bikes and have IAM training. It's a pleasure to follow them - even although I can't keep up on the twisties and only reel them back in on the straights...

I'm a 48 year old newbie rider with less than a year under my arse on a bike (still managed nearly 7k miles though) and I have no intention (yeah like everyone before me) of falling off.

Strongly recommend doing an Enduro experience day! Great way to get good at controlling a bike in challenging conditions, and even if you do bin it during the training it'll likely be at low speed, on soft ground, and wearing some seriously heavy duty protective kit! Side note, which bits of you are fragile? If it's your knees, Amazon regularly do offers on SixSixOne Knee Braces. I've got a pair for when I go green laning, they're awesome.

But also... take it from me, you don't always get the luxury of planning not to fall off. The whole reason I wear the brace is because some tit in a car decided for me and my right knee hasn't been right ever since! :evil:

3 back operations and 1 leg operation means I really am too fragile. That and I'm 6'2 and 20st so would be unable to fall off in the graceful manner that you see so often on the TV. :)

Never thought I'd admit to the following on a motorbike forum but I'm also a bit of a golf nut and I need to take prescribed painkillers and anti-inflammatory tabs before a game so as much as I'd love to do an enduro day (I really would), I don't think the back would stand up to it regardless of whether I had an off or not.

second day i was riding, I tried a duel carriageway , came off the slip road but misjudge my speed and tried to engine break , wasnt going to make the giveway sign so i panic'd a bit and tried an emergency break but back wheel slipped on a road marking and down i went lol, 15mph so wasnt too bad thankfully. Bit shaken by it but i know it happens so just getting on with it (I went by the same piece of road dame day to make sure i got it right and to reassure myself i could do it)

1st time: Mod 1 practice on the test pad. Grabbed the brakes and slid the instructors bike.

2nd time: Was giving my brother grief for his twist and go ped and went to pull into a lay-by, it was a pitch black night and couldn't see where the entrance was. Saw a curb and tree coming at me so snaked up to and onto the kerb/dirt. Came to a full stop and forgot to put my foot down and the bike fell over :(

3rd time: Trying to drag knee, because everyone knows it means you're fast ;) and ended up sliding the bike. Totally the wrong time of year to try, cold, damp roads.

No injuries though and that's in 2 years and 6 months of riding.

2nd day on my bike lol

Came off a duel carrigeway onto the slip road which was quite a steep bank as i was about to come to a stop at the junction back wheel hit a large painted arrow and spun out taking me down lol :)

bit of a gashed knee, sore shoulder and cracked my fronthead lamp casing but i lived got back on the bike and went to work lol (the nailed that hill the next day!)

1 - About half a year in with my first year (125CC) and touched the front brake on loose stones while on a roundabout - looked daft.

2 - Year 3 on a Triumph Sprint riding in the right hand lane of a 2 lane road in the city centre, I did a blind spot check to move lanes and when I turned my head back around the car in front had slammed his brakes on - I had a choice to make and I chose to fall off the bike sideways rather then plow in to the back of him (riding at 30mph), as I assumed that was the cheaper option. Only winded with a dent in my pride.

Unrelated I've had several occasions in which I've had close calls, on one occasion I actually banged on the passer window of a car moving in to the lane whilst I was in it. The passengers face was a treat.

I was told by an experienced rider to basically "treat every driver like they're a **very un-PC word** - basically assume that drivers have no idea what they're doing and it's served me well so far.

• 3 weeks later...

On my CBT I turned right in a side road. Anxiety started to come so I wanted to stop. I did a wheelie for a bit. Crashed into a brick wall. Fell off and left a trail off bike bits.

That was the one major crash I had. Huge wide bleeding grazed wound on my knee. Didn't feel it or saw it until I got back home. Went back to work pretending everything was ok.

Hopefully my first and last wheelie.

I fell off 3 times in a matter of hours when training for my Mod 1. I'd done my CBT (first experience riding) the day before, this day I jumped on a Gladius for the first time for the DAS. I dropped the bike 3 times, twice doing U turns and once making a tight right hander from a junction. Snapped a brake lever. :oops:

All very unimpressive and low speed affairs but the bike was moving on all 3 occasions so I'm taking them. :lol: :lol:

First off in 1979 I was pillion on a mates mv too fast into a bend, down, down, peg scrape & off, almost no damage to the bike we just ripped our jackets.

2009 in France after all day in the saddle I forgot which way to look at a junction went to pull out & a car from where I hadn't looked appeared, in the shock I forgot to put my foot down & fell over. What a joy riding back to Blighty with half a clutch lever.

Touch wood ok since then :angel12:

• 4 weeks later...
Had 3 or 4 this year :shock:

Bad man! :twisted:

Got me hook line and sinker.

I'm on a cocktail of drugs at the moment, my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :roll:

I fell off again.

Caught on camera aswell :oops:

">

21:15

Slightly off line, wets not fully up to temp.

Bit more lean to compensate and lost the front.

Came off yesterday :oops:

I have had my full bike license about 13 months and was riding a Kawasaki Vulcan s, then decided to change it for a Triumph Tiger 800 (which is a lot nicer to ride) I took the wife for a spin yesterday and she wanted to go to Bala, so I headed from Lake Vyrnwy over the narrow road to Rhos Y Gwaliau, we met a few cars but nothing to taxing. Anyway not far from the end the narrow road, we caught up with a car and another car came to met us, so the car we followed pulled in and stopped I changed down to first pulled the clutch in and started to crawl. The car coming to met us had passed, all seemed ok, then the car that had stopped in front stayed stopped in front and indicated left at the very last second so I could pass, so I tried to go around and went to wide, my front wheel went into the ditch and over we went. No one hurt and no damage except my pride :cry:

We got off the bike and to be fair the gentleman was straight out of his car asking if we were ok and we was only trying to let us past, he did help me pull the bike out the ditch tho.

Lesson learnt, I think I must have got too close to him hence forcing me so wide and not wanting to hit his car with my bike or the panniers, because they stick out a little bit.

:)