Why does my wrist ache opperating the throttle.

nickjaxe

I am still at the training stage...for some reason my wrist aches after working the throttle for any more than 10 mins.

Maybe I have a death grip on it...any tips to avoid this...its quite distracting.

I am still at the training stage...for some reason my wrist aches after working the throttle for any more than 10 mins.

Maybe I have a death grip on it...any tips to avoid this...its quite distracting.

t

Hi. Glad that I am not the only one suffering from ache and pain, numbness of my fingers and wrists. I think it is due to holding the throttle bar really tight due to nervousness especially on dual carriage ways. I am trying to relax the grip at every opportunity, for example, at traffic light while waiting for the green. With time, it will improve. My riding gloves are a little bit tight and that will not help either.

• 7 months later...

I am a fairly new rider and experienced this problem as well as a very sore back! I have used weights to strengthen both areas but also found a product that has really helped considerably with those areas and my poor old dodgy hip (Its a miracle I can do anything !!) See the link I have attached - I hope it helps you :)

http://kingbrand.com/Wrist_Pain_Treatme ... F=1094PV86

I've found over the years that the follow issues cause the said problems. Here's what you can do to try and over come them.

Tension: Have a good stretch up and learn to relax before you set off, being tense contracts the blood vessels causing aches and pains, as already said learn to relax on holding the bars it causes aches and cramp, holding on tight is not necessary.

Keeping warm and dry: Keep warm, cold and tension go hand in hand.

Make sure you kit especially gloves are not to tight a fit as they can restrict the blood flow and cause the hand to go numb.

After that if all else fails, you might need to see if you can make adjustment to the bike to suite your size, or maybe change to a bike more suited for you and your style of riding.

The way I've been recommended to try is to grip with your knees, and to try and keep relaxed - especially across your shoulders, since any tension there will result in a tight grip on the bars.

Also keeping warm is a good tip like was said as you'll tense up once you start feeling cold.

Not enough wrist excercises.

Or too many.

Heh, wanking jokes.

I'm glad somebody went there [emoji39]

Don't worry OP, I'm getting it too during lessons (but only after an hour or 2).. Grip less.

Back on track..... :wink:

There could be several reasons for it........as above, because you're new to biking you probably do have the throttle in a death grip.......but there could be other reasons, like a worn or poorly lubricated throttle cable causing a stiff action (fnar, fnar).....position of the bars, you may be able to move them forwards or back slightly to find a more comfortable position.....maybe a quicker action throttle would help, where you're not having to twist it round as far...... :wink:

Hi guys i'm the OP.

Passed my test some months ago...riding a very old BSA Bantam now...no probs with the wrist anymore...I think I was just tense.

It was a fly be wire throttle on the bike I used for my lessons and was very light.

Thanks for your help guys it help me.

Nick.

Hi guys i'm the OP.

Passed my test some months ago...riding a very old BSA Bantam now...no probs with the wrist anymore...I think I was just tense.

It was a fly be wire throttle on the bike I used for my lessons and was very light.

Thanks for your help guys it help me.

Nick.

How did you find your Mod 2? I've got mine on Tuesday

Surprisingly I found it walk in the park...I was so nervous in the week coming up to the test...bag of nerves on the day.

Its funny...soon as I rode the bike out of the test ctr gate and onto the road...all that went completely out of my head and my training kicked in...

I actually enjoyed it....still cant believe that...just ride the bike and enjoy the ride.

Best of luck and let us know how you go on.

Nick.