Filtering along a bus lane

Guest nbiker

Hello,

I've started riding my bike to work in the attempt to cut down some of the queuing one would normally have to endure in a car. For the most part the filtering I have to do is ok and perfectly legal. There is one bit however that I'm not sure how to tackle and I'm also not sure if it's safe/legal what I'm currently doing. Some advice would be appreciated by the more advanced riders out there.

There is a stretch of one-way road which is two lanes. The right hand side is where I need to go but it always has a large tailback of traffic (around 40-70 cars). This is very slow traffic that is usually bumper-to-bumper. The left hand lane is normally clear. About half way up left hand lane diverges off somewhere elst, but is 'replaced' with a bus lane. At the end of the right hand side road there is are traffic lights and a compulsory right turn.

In a car I would stay in the right hand lane, wait for 10-15 minutes, get to the traffic lights and turn right.

On a bike I want to filter past this. So I get in the left hand lane up until the bus lane. I can't get back in my lane normally as there is no room. It's also a tight lane so I can't filter between the cars and the solid white bus lane. Instead I filter ON the thick white bus lane line. When I get to the front I try to push in behind the first car. I could go to the very front but I would have to cut up the leading car as I have to go right aswell.

Any input on the legal/safe thing to do would be appreciated.

Depending on where in the country you are, you may actually be within rights to drive in the bus lane. For example, I can't get away with it here in Cambridge, but on most red routes in London it's fair game.

Filtering on the white line is risky business as we go into the winter months, it gets pretty slippery.

I'm afraid the bus lane does not allow motorcycles. There is a clearly marked sign on the run-up.

Buses, taxis, and cyclists only :(

This is why I'm a cautious boldly going down it.

Buses, taxis, and cyclists only :(

Pretend to peddle you might get away with it ;)

But you probably won't as I think a lot of buses have cameras on them to catch people in the lanes (well London buses at least)

But you probably won't as I think a lot of buses have cameras on them to catch people in the lanes (well London buses at least)

its extremely rare for a bus company to forward the CCTV off the bus to get people fined for using bus lanes

some in London MAY do it

CCTV on buses is not for catching drivers in bus lanes :wink:

Ha, thankfully I don't live in London :)

Here is an aerial view of the road in question. I come from the left and side and end up at the traffic lights on the right hand side of the picture.

You can see the bus lane in RED and the lane which has congestion in BLUE. You can also see where the original left-side lane routes north and is 'replaced' with a bus lane.

http://i.imgur.com/QdDIJBM.jpg

Might seem a bit odd but what about if you carry on around the bend and then take the first right and cut round behind that way? Then you should easily be able to slide past the traffic.

You'll still have the same problem with getting in at the end though....

Might seem a bit odd but what about if you carry on around the bend and then take the first right and cut round behind that way? Then you should easily be able to slide past the traffic.

You'll still have the same problem with getting in at the end though....

My thought was similar... Is there another way round? Just cause you go one way in a car does not mean its the best way on a bike...