Handling lane closure on dual carriageway

nicklucey

So, got carried away with my ride this eve and it got a bit late, so decided to head home on the dual carriageway.

As I came up to my junction, 2 of 3 lanes had been closed, i'm on the inside lane. But traffic is stopping and queuing up in my lane.

So I'm then stationary on the dual carriageway, which felt like a pretty ropey situation to be in, although there was a stationary/slow car behind me so wouldn't get rear ended, but i was pretty conscious that cars looking for a gap to merge into might see the gap I was creating but not see me. I considered getting back into the 2nd lane and overtaking to get further down the queue, but couldn't see past the lorries in front to know whether there would be somewhere for me to rejoin the traffic without then being stationary again in a faster lane of traffic.

I wondered wether I could filter down the left hand side of the traffic, but that didn't feel very clever either.

So how would you handle this? a couple of bikes went past me and I assume just buzzed down to the front.

I'd have filtered down the right. Nice wide dual carriageway lane i will always find a spot to slot in. Failing that just stop next to the bonnet of a car when you can move over a bit. they'll let you pull over when everyone starts moving (at least I've not had an issue so far...and do remember to say thank you!)

When I first started riding I didn't like filtering too much so just kinda waiting around, as you become more confident you'll be zooming up the right in no time :lol: Also especially in stationary traffic I find the biggest danger are other two wheel users who change "filter lanes" without looking right in front of you!

Taking some time to assess the situation like you did rather than banzai'ing it up is top stuff :thumb:

Also as Al-stu said remember to thank nice drivers! I see the same people everyday and I like to think they are more likely to get out the way for the lovley green bike who thanks them :lol:

If you're worried about being visible to other motorists when filtering you can always pull a stand-up wheelie and filter that way. Not only will you be unmissable to everyone around you, but you'll get a much better view up the road. It's a safety thing really, and the police will understand. :thumb:

image.jpeg.033b7094c49ba033ed99033f6e7de3b2.jpeg

If you're worried about being visible to other motorists when filtering you can always pull a stand-up wheelie and filter that way. Not only will you be unmissable to everyone around you, but you'll get a much better view up the road. It's a safety thing really, and the police will understand. :thumb:

Seems legit.

:laugh: we have a winner