Is there a right way to brake for a corner?

nicklucey

I've found my braking for corners following a particular process, would be good to get some feedback on the right way to approach it,

I use a bit of front brake, then release front brake and typically drop a gear, and often will have a bit of engine braking before putting the throttle back on fairly early in the bend.

Any thoughts? Led to believe engine braking wasn't a good thing during my training, youtube seems to talk about a two finger break and blip downshift which looks a bit beyond my skill level.

Any advice gratefully received.

I don't like engine braking at all, i just drop the gears to my speed while braking.

I use a lot of front and touch the rear as it locks too easily, arriving sideways at lights looks amusing but scares some driverists and polices get all moany.

Slow manovering/filtering i just use the rear

Just to be completely unhelpful, I actually use more engine braking than anything else approaching a corner and then just control with throttle throughout the bend because to me it feels more stable that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really need to get your braking/speed adjusted on the approach to the bend.......then enter the bend with a neutral throttle and gently wind the throttle on as you're passing the apex to pull you out of the bend. But don't get too fixated with it......it'll come with time and experience. ..... :wink:

when I owned a twin I very rarely touched the brakes!

I would carry on as you are your not doing it wrong :wink:

This, on my bike intend to almost need no brakes, unless coming to a complete stop.

It's made worse by planning, as in I know I need to slow/stop far enough away I can just ease off the gas.

I've got an car with a simple engine braking trait, and have the same with that, very little brake use, unless stopping.

Sent from my phone.

I just drop a gear, and having a v twin I don't even need to do that half the time. I only use the break if I've misjudged and approached the corner a bit fast, then I'll use mostly front and a bit of rear

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

To be honest I don't know what I do , I'll try and make a point to remember how I do it when I'm doing it ... I always manage to wobble round em though :thumb:

Single cylinder... Remind me what brakes are, again? :lol:

If I'm below 6000rpm I just drop a gear and up the throttle a little to maintain my current speed then roll off slightly juuuust before entering the corner, much smoother having it in high revs in a lower gear. It's a bit too snatchy if it drops below 5000rpm on a bend.

If your making it round the corner your doing it right

Phew. I thought just engine braking with back brake all the way into the apex, then carefully coming off it as I accelerate out was stupid. Now I can call it a technique!

That is how I originally started, before changing to to do it more properly: come off the throttle and also braking, mostly with the front, if necessary, then coming back onto the throttle before the corner so the bike could pull into it. That way seemed faster and gave less fear the bike was about to stall. Loosing speed into the corner with some brake applied does not feel as pleasant.

Moving past using my "technique" again seems the only thing left to to to recover from the loss of confidence after my accident. I would not recommend it, mind, but amazingly it always got me around despite the risks of doing something stupid.

Incidentally, to nicklucey, I have not managed to do two finger braking, but downshifting and braking it still surprisingly easy. Pulling on the brake with four fingers you can tilt your hand slightly upwards. That way you palm pushed down on the throttle to blip it, but without changing the brake pressure.

To be honest mate.

I'm with SIX on this one. I don't really know what I do.

But that's probably a good thing as the more you ride the less conscious you will become and things will come naturally and you won't be constantly thinking I must do this or that.

Ride and enjoy mate

Two massive brakes up front. I'm sure they put them there for a reason??

;)

:thumb: glad its not just me hoons into corners and wears the brake pads out

• 3 weeks later...

Bit new over all, but I just drop a gear or 2 light dab on the front if I'm a bit hot. Neutral throttle plus counter steer then lay the power down nice and easy. If the back end stays there really open it up and I come flying out. Which also provides engine breaking for the next bend.

• 3 months later...

I'm on a Triumph Tiger 1050 and have found that my front tire lasts 50% longer if I use the back first before the front and the bike is more stable. Anyways, happens often enough that when I drop a gear or two the back invariably slides a little which sort of negates the saving of the front tyre :lol:

Haven't even passed my test yet, so that's my starting point for any comments, but having been surprised about the amount of engine braking from the ER6N I'm learning on I just started using that, and am now getting shouted at by the Instructor for doing so! As a result I'm now using the brakes a bit more, but to be honest am still at least 50% on engine braking for actual speed reduction.

What's the Examiner's approach likely to be when doing my test?

Shouted at for using the engine braking? :scratch: Sounds like a shite instructor to me...

Was a little odd. Guy who did my CBT was chatting in the shop after, and commenting that his pads and discs last ages because he uses so much engine braking, but DAS instructor seems to dislike any significant reduction in speed (i.e. not just rolling off the throttle a bit) which isn't also accompanied by brake lights. "BRAKES ARE FOR BRAKING" is what I tend to hear. :shock: I can understand the lack of indication to drivers behind that I'm slowing down sharply, but guess it's a case of each instance on it's merits.

I bet he is an IAM instructor too!

throttle is for going brakes are for slowing is what they are drilled in to them!

do as he says until you pass your test then thats when the real learning starts

Just to add, since the bikes weight is about 50/50 split front/rear, but the tyre sizes are not equal, it's a good idea to keep positive throttle all the time you're leaned over to keep some of the weight transfered away from the smaller front to the larger rear tyre.

Neutral throttle whilst cornering results in loading the smaller front tyre with the same forces as the larger rear tyre so can contribute towards the front wheel washing out.

Just to add, since the bikes weight is about 50/50 split front/rear, but the tyre sizes are not equal, it's a good idea to keep positive throttle all the time you're leaned over to keep some of the weight transfered away from the smaller front to the larger rear tyre.

Neutral throttle whilst cornering results in loading the smaller front tyre with the same forces as the larger rear tyre so can contribute towards the front wheel washing out.

That's an excellent explanation for something I've often heard in respect of mountain biking - speed is your friend! :twisted:

do as he says until you pass your test then thats when the real learning starts

The more time I've spent on the bike, the more I've realised that passing the test is just the formal part of it, following which I can start getting the serious practice hours under my belt to actually become competent!