Struggling with gears

Aerodyll

I really don't recommend holding the clutch in all the time whether you are in a bike or car. The amount of engine braking available can make a massive impact to the retardation of the vehicle.

In a car at least, if you coasted on the clutch while braking, you would fail your test.

If you read Road craft they actually advocate Block Shifting.....and suggest that slowing should be done with the brakes. Gotta say that I use the box and engine braking all the way down...... :wink:

I really don't recommend holding the clutch in all the time whether you are in a bike or car. The amount of engine braking available can make a massive impact to the retardation of the vehicle.

In a car at least, if you coasted on the clutch while braking, you would fail your test.

If you read Road craft they actually advocate Block Shifting.....and suggest that slowing should be done with the brakes. Gotta say that I use the box and engine braking all the way down...... :wink:

I'll change more than 1 gear but I will then use the engine braking once done shifting. Same in car. Modern gear boxes really can handle that nowadays.

Just to conclude this story, I failed my Mod 1. Completely due to nerves, put my foot down on the U-turn bloody silly mistake and am furious with myself. On the other hand my instructor says my gears are pretty much where they should be now. Not great but not terrible either.

Thanks

Ben

Just to conclude this story, I failed my Mod 1. Completely due to nerves, put my foot down on the U-turn bloody silly mistake and am furious with myself. On the other hand my instructor says my gears are pretty much where they should be now. Not great but not terrible either.

Thanks

Ben

Aww bad luck mate, seen the nerves get the better of a lot of people. Head up you'll nail it next time :thumb:

Bad luck.. maybe practice riding the bike at slow speeds so it feels it's going to tip and you have the Instict to put a foot down, and learn to recover without a foot down.

That's something I remember doing many years ago to get a feel for how slow you can actually go and get a feeling for the bike just about to tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Ben

Harsh. This one my only real concern with the MOD 1 test - nerves + U-turn. You will smash it next time!

Just to conclude this story again (because I obviously didn't give up after the first attempt)

Went for my second attempt, had a good few hours riding before hand which made a world of difference. Did about 8 u-turns before the test and did them perfectly. On the test the examiner was much more positive and friendly which also made a huge difference. I put the bike in neutral everytime I stopped to give me a second in which to take a deep breath before I did anything. I did the U-turn with some nerves but did it fine, then minutes later he asked me to turn round but don't not worry about staying in lines e.t.c. Without trying I did a perfect u-turn tighter and smoother than before! Go figure!

I passed with 2 minors, one for skidding a little bit on the emergency stop and the second for stalling the bike when I stopped on the slow ride. Neither of those things I have ever done before. I had a good ride after the test too in which the instructor never had to prompt me to do anything.

I have my Mod 2 on wednesday 21st and although I am nervous I am not even close to the amount of anxiety I had before. Would like to pass first time but I feel like I am just going to put all thoughts of passing/failing out of my mind and just treat it the same as when I#m with the instructor.

Edited by Aerodyll

Just to conclude this story again (because I obviously didn't give up after the first attempt)

Went for my second attempt, had a good few hours riding before hand which made a world of difference. Did about 8 u-turns before the test and did them perfectly. On the test the examiner was much more positive and friendly which also made a huge difference. I put the bike in neutral everytime I stopped to give me a second in which to take a deep breath before I did anything. I did the U-turn with some nerves but did it fine, then minutes later he asked me to turn round but don't not worry about staying in lines e.t.c. Without trying I did a perfect u-turn tighter and smoother than before! Go figure!

I passed with 2 minors, one for skidding a little bit on the emergency stop and the second for stalling the bike when I stopped on the slow ride. Neither of those things I have ever done before. I had a good ride after the test too in which the instructor never had to prompt me to do anything.

I have my Mod 2 on wednesday 21st and although I am nervous I am not even close to the amount of anxiety I had before. Would like to pass first time but I feel like

Well done, and good luck!