Winter is coming...

Via

Need to start thinking about first winter on a bike, have got 2nd car as Mrs nicks mine for work now but don't want to garage bike as soon as leaves turn orange as im having far too much fun, but, I don't want winter to spoil that.

How bad is it really? I have visions of wet leaves and black ice hiding on every corner ready to kill me if I dare to turn within a mile of them...

More concerned with actual rising and being safe keeping bike upright, have read plenty of articles about keeping warm and get that, but don't want to be warm in a ditch.

I rode my bike all year round when I was younger. .....you just need to see the signs where there could be trouble.....A bend with trees overhanging will be a likely place to find wet leaves in autumn.......places that are shaded from the sun when it's icy are likely black ice spots.......so, you just need to read the road ahead......and adjust your speed accordingly. ...... 8-)

Winter riding, particularly in January and February, is different from riding in summer. To my mind, it's less fun, cos most of the time the roads are a bit slidey, and the opportunities for hooning around and having a blast are far fewer. If there's snow lying on the road then I stay indoors, and on those occasion days when the roads turn to sheet ice, but part from in those conditions, it's completely safe.

The worst is when they start salting the roads, the roads somehow become a bit slippery; my guess is that you get a film of tyre rubber and salt and whatever they add now to make the salt stick, and it's not quite as grippy as real tarmac. So I just try to do everything smoothly, with a bit more looking ahead and planning, and I mix in a tad more back brake than in summer. Frost isn't usually much of a problem, but I watch out for black ice, especially at the edge of the road.

The best thing about winter riding comes on bright, frosty days, when the roads are dry and the sky is ice blue and you can blast out to the coast or wherever and enjoy being outside when everyone else's bike is sorned up in some garage :wink:

One more thing: British winters are merciless on the bike. I clean mine in November and slather it in ACF50 to protect it from the worst of the salt. When April comes I wash all the ACF50 and crud off and inspect the damage done. It's never a happy sight. After three winters, the bike now looks three times the age of one that only goes out on nice summer days. Some bikes do ok. The GS isn't one of them.

Last couple winters have been really mild

The one before was COLD

The cold will make you more miserable than anything you have experienced before. I guess living in London I don't really get proper winter but just keep extra careful and aware and don't go out if you're not confident. No shame in saying not today!

Thanks for your replies, I'm normally miserable anyway ;) tbh been caught in bad weather once leaving in summer gear and by time I go home is torrential rain and got soaked through so know importance of right gear and got all waterproofs when I first started counting on British weather being terrible just it was all sitting at home on that occasion.

Tbh the length of trip I do each day (approx 8 miles) shouldn't be long enough to get too bad as long as i have right gear on and can do sensible at times hehe.

Biggest worry is one section of blind bends with typical trees either side dangling over Road, this is first winter living here so don't know how bad they will shed their leaves over Road but that will have to be a wait and see, determined to keep riding but got the car just in case.

Tbh the length of trip I do each day (approx 8 miles) shouldn't be long enough to get too bad as long as i have right gear on and can do sensible at times hehe.

Oh you are going to regret saying that!

It is unbelievable how saturated your kit can get, even when only doing a few miles. My commute is about the same length as your's. I got caught out in rain early on this year and my waterproof kit was dripping all over the showers in work from 8:45 till 1pm. Was still damp when I put it back on at 5 to head home. It did keep me completely dry however, until I stepped in the puddle it had created while I was changing...

Riding in the winter is ok, so long as you keep concentrating and observing everything. And don't lean much into the corners if it is even so much as damp. Loads of wet leaves, thick road markings, hidden pot holes disguised as puddled, piles of grit everywhere on the road... they are all evil! :twisted:

I used to ride all year round but since having a car I really don't see the point unless it's a nice dry day and you can have a little fun, riding in shit conditions just for the sake of it doesn't compute with me, why risk you shiny pride and joy when a car is sat there?

In Kent you should be fine. Just ride like a grandma and any shiny surfaces be cautious of when leaning the bike. Always ask yourself "could I do an emergency stop" and if the answer is no, slow down. Next you need to keep warm. You'll find yourself in thermal liners in your gear and also long johns and trackies and similar layers for upstairs. You will also need to keep those hands warm and dry. The undeniable best option for that is my personal favourite; heated grips and muffs. With all that you'll sail through winter and probably continue to ride all year round.

Don't pay too much attention from those up north - they see snow and see the conditions as dangerous. For us southerners it's just wet, cold and miserable.

Don't pay too much attention from those up north - they see snow and see the conditions as dangerous. For us southerners it's just wet, cold and miserable.

Yes but you're nearer to the equator there so it's warmer not so much snow and ice like oopp north. :wink:

Yes but you're nearer to the equator there so it's warmer not so much snow and ice like oopp north. :wink:

yeah that's my point... no snow down south = less dangerous to ride.

• 2 weeks later...

When i was younger i used to ride my bike to work up in the dales in 2 inch of snow...i had to do it with next to no braking!

Weirdly though, i wont go out in that weather in my car. I suppose i was young and fearless with an added dash of stupidity :lol:

Riding in winter like people have said relies on forethought, be aware of every drain cover, every pothole....be aware and react accordingly

I used to ride all year round all weather when I was younger. Now I feel scared to ride if it isn't dry.

I think the period I was off bikes for 2 to 3 years took away the experience and I'm a bit warier nowadays. Think I need to get riding in adverse conditions again to build my experience back up.

Why? Riding in the ice cold and rain and getting cold and wet and miserable sucks!! Us crazy commuters only do it because it's our only choice (other than the bus of doom which I would resort to it if was really icey).

I mock the fair weather riders but if I had a car I would probably be one of them :lol: :lol:

:stupid:

There is nothing wrong with been a fair weather rider despite what others say

If you have a car to use then its common sense to use it when it's crap

It doesn't make you any less of a biker again despite what others say or think!

This make for some interesting reading. My FZ6 was delivered in the week, been out as pillion......scary.

So i cant go anywhere until at least beginning October (if...big if....i pass MOD 2 of course) So my timing seems more than a little off as i've missed the best part of year and soon be into winter. I really want to give it a go on teh bike but the car will be sat on the drive looking all dry and warm on the inside and might be just too tempting if its cold/throwing it down. Ice and snow definitely will be using the car.

I passed my DAS last october and was lucky the weather was so mild. Take it nice and easy and don't go out if you're not confident. Much easier to gain confidence after a small weather break than after an off :thumb:

I'm going to be back to commuting by bike soon, just in time for the winter... :cry:

Living next to the train station was lovely while it lasted. At least I have the CG these days so that the KLX doesn't have to get too many unnecessary miles piled onto it.

:stupid:

There is nothing wrong with been a fair weather rider despite what others say

If you have a car to use then its common sense to use it when it's crap

It doesn't make you any less of a biker again despite what others say or think!

It makes me feel more of a man, more successful and more daring and brave, which makes me more attractive to women. But apart from that and my huge balls, I suppose you are right. :thumb:

How to ride in winter -

1 - there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes. Get decent, warm waterproof kit. It does exist and cheaply if you go for waterproof over trousers, jacket and gloves. I got that lot for about £75. Pinlock for your visor the ONLY way to ensure it does not steam up. I have tried everything and ONLY pinlock works. For around £20 pinlock will keep you safe.

2 - sod hi-viz and get REFLECTIVE so you are seen in the dark. As Throttled Jnr once pointed out to me (he is a bright kid) if you come off and are lying on the ground, drivers will see you if have lots of reflective kit on.

3 - learn from fellow 2 wheel riders and look at how cyclists stay alive. This jacket is waterproof and has LED lights for £75. Use it as your over jacket.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/jackets-gilets/visijax-commuter-led-indicator-jacket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have worn LED arm bands that cost £1 from a £1 shop. I also treated myself to the Shark Skwal helmet which has LED light built in. It was £180, but I have seen it for less. It also comes with pinlock. It is the best winter helmet I have used.

4 - the worse the weather, the slower you ride and the less you lean. Bikers need to ride to road conditions more than drivers have to drive. So f**k'em. I find wobbling about means they leave space for me.

Pinlock for your visor the ONLY way to ensure it does not steam up. I have tried everything and ONLY pinlock works. For around £20 pinlock will keep you safe.

I've been trying Muc-Off anti fog seeing as my helmet doesn't accommodate a pinlock, and it works astoundingly well - worth a shot for anyone else in a similar position. Obviously a pinlock is still a smarter move if you have the choice, lower maintenance and cheaper in the long run.