Overtaking

Liveware Problem

Looks closer/faster than it really is, but ultimately judge a gap for yourself and don't go for anything you're not comfortable with.

Some ***** will make a point of squeezing you rather than making room, however, it tends to be to the detriment of their wing mirror!

I wondered because I had a taxi blaring his horn at me for overtaking in a similar fashion, even though there was no risk of a collision :|

Trying to be careful at the moment, not having a great deal of experience. Often other people on motorbikes/scooters go whizzing past!

Motorists will respond differently to different bikes. A 125 with L plates filtering might rouse the ire of a frustrated cabbie, whereas they'd probably not take on the rider of a larger machine on the basis that a more experienced rider isn't going to be intimidated.

You'll get the hang of when it's safe to filter and when to use some discretion. On video it always looks faster and closer than it really is so don't be misled by YouTube clips. When filtering make sure you can stop on a sixpence because things can change pretty quickly and neither motorists or pedestrians seem to expect a bike to suddenly appear.

I think people ride/filter like that in London as it's the only way you'll get anywhere on time :D

I am talking generalisations here, but from my experience drivers in London are also used to bikes filtering. It does not mean they are always going to have a good reaction but there are more bikes and it is accepted more.

In my local town where bikes are not very common filtering is often obstructed, in Southampton and Bournemouth where there are more bikes they are slightly more cooperative.

Can you do an emergency stop if someone attempts a U turn / car pulls out from junction / pedestrian steps out etc? "No"? ----> slow down.

Already questioning your behaviour?

You don't feel safe, slow down.

An overtake like that is explicitly a NO according to the Highway Code

Rule 167 DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road

where the road narrows

when approaching a school crossing patrol

between the kerb and a bus or tram when it is at a stop

where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works

when you would force another road user to swerve or slow down

at a level crossing

when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled

stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left

when a tram is standing at a kerbside tram stop and there is no clearly marked passing lane for other traffic.

So it is not an illegal act, but have an accident and you are stuffed, it was your fault.

A lot of his riding isn't the best, but he's not trying to make videos showing impeccable riding. We've all done it, it's just a case of assessing your risk and deciding whether you're happy to take it. It's when people do things without realising it's a risk there's a problem.

I wondered because I had a taxi blaring his horn at me for overtaking in a similar fashion, even though there was no risk of a collision :|

Trying to be careful at the moment, not having a great deal of experience. Often other people on motorbikes/scooters go whizzing past!

As part of my Advanced Training I was advised "never make a third lane" that may help explain..When overtaking where you finish up with one vehicle on your left and one on your right, you can never tell what either of those drivers will do and you have no escape route. Whereas if there is only the vehicle on your left you have an obvious escape route on your right....

• 2 months later...

Rule 167 DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

where the road narrows

at a level crossing

when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled

stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left

when a tram is standing at a kerbside tram stop and there is no clearly marked passing lane for other traffic.

So it is not an illegal act, but have an accident and you are stuffed, it was your fault.

Actually you are completely wrong. This was not overtaking given the fact there was a queue. It is called filtering and it completely legal :up:

It is up to you to decide how much risk you want to take. Personally I would have slowed down a bit to have the bus passing by before I do the filtering at 01:15.

where the road narrows

at a level crossing

Actually you are completely wrong. This was not overtaking given the fact there was a queue. It is called filtering and it completely legal :up:

It is up to you to decide how much risk you want to take. Personally I would have slowed down a bit to have the bus passing by before I do the filtering at 01:15.

There is no official definition, but since he was passing stationary vehicles on the offside and over the centre line causing others to have to move to let him pass, that is overtaking according to the Highway Code. I have highlighted the part in bold.

where the road narrows

at a level crossing

There is no official definition, but since he was passing stationary vehicles on the offside and over the centre line causing others to have to move to let him pass, that is overtaking according to the Highway Code. I have highlighted the part in bold.

You are citing rule 167 which is for overtaking. As I have said not relevant at all to filtering and he is doing filtering. There is oficial definition for filtering:

Rule 88

Manoeuvring. You should be aware of what is behind and to the sides before manoeuvring. Look behind you; use mirrors if they are fitted. When in traffic queues look out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles and vehicles emerging from junctions or changing lanes. Position yourself so that drivers in front can see you in their mirrors. Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.

and in

Rule 211

It is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when they are coming up from behind, coming out of junctions, at roundabouts, overtaking you or filtering through traffic. Always look out for them

Means the drivers have a duty to look out for you when you are filtering. Hope that is clear for you know. :cheers:

Filtering is when you filter between the trafic - the one in your lane and the opposite lane if you filter offside or between your lane traffic and the curb nearside.

You are confusing cars with bikes. Cars can't filter. Bikes can :)

I was watching a Baron von grumble video when his overtaking/filtering caught my attention.. (skip to about 1:15)

Is it OK to overtake like that, so close to oncoming traffic?

It is perfectly fine and this is not overtaking - it is called filtering and it is legal :thumb:

Also the camera does not show the actual thing, the perspective is distorted. Having said that it is up to your abilities how you do that.

Means if you potato yourself under a bus it is your fault :angel12:

If you plan to ride like that in London make sure you have a loud can.

You are citing rule 167 which is for overtaking. As I have said not relevant at all to filtering and he is doing filtering. There is oficial definition for filtering:

Rule 88

Manoeuvring. You should be aware of what is behind and to the sides before manoeuvring. Look behind you; use mirrors if they are fitted. When in traffic queues look out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles and vehicles emerging from junctions or changing lanes. Position yourself so that drivers in front can see you in their mirrors. Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.

and in

Rule 211

It is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when they are coming up from behind, coming out of junctions, at roundabouts, overtaking you or filtering through traffic. Always look out for them

Means the drivers have a duty to look out for you when you are filtering. Hope that is clear for you know. :cheers:

Filtering is when you filter between the trafic - the one in your lane and the opposite lane if you filter offside or between your lane traffic and the curb nearside.

Nowhere does it say cars cannot filter ...

Nowhere does it say cars cannot filter ...

It is the other way around. It does not say it is allowed for cars. And there is a rule the explicitely say to keep inside lanes on mutilane road:

Rule 131

Lane dividers. These are short, broken white lines which are used on wide carriageways to divide them into lanes. You should keep between them.

On a single lane two way road it say you can cross only if you obertake:

Rule 127

A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off.

There are physical limitations. Cars cannot filter between lanes because cars cannot fit in the space between lanes.

It depends on what you are comfortable with really. Where I live currently they are building a pointless road across Norfolk and it's causing built up traffic along most of my route to work.

Most days I'll filter through and involves moving into middle of road, most drivers coming opposite way do move over to give that extra bit of room which I know they don't have to. Do get occasional person who refuses to though.

My mentality is to take it steady through it, been passed a few times by twats on peds who sit at 30 filtering regardless of hazards.

You are citing rule 167 which is for overtaking. As I have said not relevant at all to filtering and he is doing filtering.

The reason why I cited rule 167 is because of its relevance to what was in the video. There was queuing traffic and to pass them meant coming into conflict with other vehicles and that traffic had to slow and alter its position. That is also covered in rule 162, having sufficient space and rule 163 giving way to oncoming vehicles.

There is oficial definition for filtering:

Rule 88

and in

Rule 211

That says nothing about what actually constitutes filtering.

That is your definition of filtering. I am going by the actual words of the Highway Code and the actual situation in the video. Both overtaking and filtering involves passing other vehicles. The video shows a biker passing a queue of traffic which brought him into conflict with oncoming vehicles. That is covered by the Highway Code's DO NOT in rule 167.

It depends on what you are comfortable with really. Where I live currently they are building a pointless road across Norfolk and it's causing built up traffic along most of my route to work.

Most days I'll filter through and involves moving into middle of road, most drivers coming opposite way do move over to give that extra bit of room which I know they don't have to. Do get occasional person who refuses to though.

My mentality is to take it steady through it, been passed a few times by twats on peds who sit at 30 filtering regardless of hazards.

This photo is from the Highway Code

the-highway-code-rule-163.jpg

and she is overtaking. What is to stop her from claiming she was filtering past the slow moving cyclist and so it was OK for her to pull out into the face of oncoming traffic causing to slow down or move over to give that extra bit of room?