Calimoto, Sat nav app for bikes, worth a look

tigger004

Hi all,

Thought this may be useful for someone, found a sat nav app for android (phones,tablets) coming soon for ios apple stuff.

There is a Web site for info and trial map (full UK map is £8.99 on a free app, not a bad price).

Any how, it uses curvy algorithms for routing, also has a loop ride facility where you input the distance and direction you what to travel and it creates an editable loop for you (really good)

I emailed Calimoto to see if it there are plans for direct route planning and there is (be good in a car then)

For nine quid I like it, but you'll need a mount for your phone etc.

Screenshot_20170314-095052.thumb.png.a8bf2e2f80a23e1ecaad0c8888b28904.png

Sent by Tigger from my Tablet

Just downloaded it. Can't seem to search for postcodes :? What am i doing wrong?

The Round Trip function is a nice idea. It just generated almost exactly the same trip i made last week!

Tried it today. Not bad. It picked a good route home.

It gives pretty clear instructions but doesn't say the road names when asking you to turn so if there are two roads close together it could be misleading.. will need to try it some more i reckon :cheers:

Disappointing update from me, just stopped to change my destination and found you cannot input a new address without Internet access ( I had none ), it will let you select a previously entered address or favourite without Internet access.

This could be a pain in bad coverage areas! I managed to access a BT wifi connection and was then OK, just thought I should share this as I had previously entered destinations from home, obviously with no issues....

I have borrowed your review to update the Sat Nav App review thread I set up.

Tomtom My drive on your computer is free and can set routes of windy hilly flat etc and can be downloaded as Gpx files if you dont have the app..

Disappointing update from me, just stopped to change my destination and found you cannot input a new address without Internet access ( I had none ), it will let you select a previously entered address or favourite without Internet access.

This could be a pain in bad coverage areas! I managed to access a BT wifi connection and was then OK, just thought I should share this as I had previously entered destinations from home, obviously with no issues....

Even Google maps will struggle without internet. I like what i see so far though, have an excuse to buy a small tank bag now!

Even Google maps will struggle without internet. I like what i see so far though, have an excuse to buy a small tank bag now!

Make sure you download the area you want before you go (I have 2 set up that cover most of the south of england they automatically update over Wifi). Then it works better although when it sees the internet it may well re route you, because of traffic...

Make sure you download the area you want before you go (I have 2 set up that cover most of the south of england they automatically update over Wifi). Then it works better although when it sees the internet it may well re route you, because of traffic...

True, my statement covers most people who don't know the tech or apps as well.

• 1 year later...

I have be trying to get on with Calimoto for a few months now, it's biggest down fall in my opinion is it constantly sends me down single track, grit in the middle, pot holed and farm yard detritus covered lanes, the vision is often poor and I have to ride at 20mph in case something comes the other way and can't stop !

I try my best to edit these "C" or unclassified lanes from the route but it's hard work and I often fail and end up on little more than dirt tracks.

These in my opinion are not twisty Biking roads, more suited to walkers or maybe cyclist.

Has any one else found this to be the case or am I be picky ?

16th Sep 2018 updated post:

Firstly thanks for the advice to use a "Zumo" ( I have one) but I was reviewing 'Calimoto', anyhow good news is they have now upgraded both the Android App and the PC App. The improvements have now made Calimoto far more adaptable to individual preferences (4 routing options Windy through to Motorway) , it now looks like a worthwhile tool and good value for money. I will give it a few test runs and report back if I have any problems worth comment.

Edited by peterleslie

I have be trying to get on with Calimoto for a few months now, it's biggest down fall in my opinion is it constantly sends me down single track, grit in the middle, pot holed and farm yard detritus covered lanes, the vision is often poor and I have to ride at 20mph in case something comes the other way and can't stop !

I try my best to edit these "C" or unclassified lanes from the route but it's hard work and I often fail and end up on little more than dirt tracks.

These in my opinion are not twisty Biking roads, more suited to walkers or maybe cyclist.

With a dedicated satnav.. like the Garmin ZUMO. it would only route you down such minor roads if you have it set for 'shortest distance'. in normal circumstances it would bypass such roads and use 'B' roads as the minimum.

Just noticed it recorded the ride and gives nice graphs of speed..

"Yes, your Honour, and when we searched the accused we found this mobile device which contained the following information....."

There again, I suppose it's true of most mobile devices these days - but the easier you make it for 'em....

My favourite is the speed trap sequence from the Will Hay film "Ask a Policeman"...(from Planet Comedy)

"In one incident we find the trio trying to capture speeding motorists in a restricted area. They flag down a motorist and accuse him of doing 60mph when in reality he was only doing 20mph. Hay (Sergeant Dudfoot) confronts the motorist:

'You did the measured mark in 25 seconds' says Dudfoot. 'So what of it, that's only 20mph' insists the motorist. 'Ah' says Dudfoot, 'but yes, 20mph each, there are three of us, thats 60mph!'

Dudfoot then asks for the man's driving licence. 'I haven't got one' he says. 'Well let me see your insurance certificate' asks the Sergeant. 'I'm not insured' says the motorist. 'You mean you haven't got a license or insurance?' asks Dudfoot. 'No.' is the motorist's reply. 'Well it's a lucky thing for you young man, you've just saved your bacon!' 'You mean I can go?' asks the relieved motorist.

'Well I can't endorse your licence if you haven't got one can I? Next time make sure you bring one with you!!' "

:D :D :D

With a dedicated satnav.. like the Garmin ZUMO. it would only route you down such minor roads if you have it set for 'shortest distance'. in normal circumstances it would bypass such roads and use 'B' roads as the minimum.

My Garmin has often sent me down such roads when set to avoid motorways and curvy routes as [mention]Speedy23[/mention] can confirm.

Also if you down load the tracks you can find out the various speeds traveled in each sector. :roll:

No curvy road choice on mine.. if i want that kind of a ride then I make the route at home on the computer. easy enough.

under normal routing it would never use an unclassified road.. so perhaps the improvements over the years since I got mine... arent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I pay the £40 a year subscription for this app, it's taken me down all sorts of interesting roads that I never knew were there. The super winding road option is silly as you can't do more than 10 miles an hour.

• 1 year later...

I'm new to riding and trying to find an app that let's me plot less busy routes while I get more confident.

Calimoto is the best I've found for plotting a route so far but doesn't seem to interface well with my Huawei phone so the voice prompts don't work consistently.

Has anyone else had this problem or found a workaround?

Thanks