Speeed...

nicklucey

Why not just ride a speed that yes on the straights is slow but faster through the corners as your not having to pick up scrubbed off speed .

Because then I will only be able to go at 20mph on the straight bits too. Hmph.

• 4 weeks later...
I go really, really, really, really fast... on track. Otherwise I'm quite a boring old sod on the road - don't intentionally speed, always doing my shoulder checks, don't take unnecessary risks and that sort of stuff.

Please form an elderly queue to join me on a ride. :-D

Sounds more appropriate...

I go really, really, really, really fast... on track. Otherwise I'm quite a boring old sod on the road - don't intentionally speed, always doing my shoulder checks, don't take unnecessary risks and that sort of stuff.

Please form an elderly queue to join me on a ride. :-D

Sounds more appropriate...

That's quite amusing Phil.

I think you got to be sensible now a days , the golden days of bike riding in the uk on the road are gone I feel , don't get me wrong I love riding bikes but its so so easy to get points nowadays and not through excessive speeding .

and this is why I'm considering getting rid of my GSR and getting a V-Strom. When I had my Daytona every time I got on that thing I felt like I needed to do 8000mph (not that I did of course) whereas a v-strom will not make you feel like being Rossi every damn ride (I hope)

• 1 year later...

For me riding is about safety totally so. there are times when the speed limit is way too fast, and times when it is way too slow for conditions.

I am content to stay with the legal limit much of the time and I don't feel I am going too slow, and then there are times when something more spirited is called for.

Sometimes fast riding is necessary to escape a hazard.

I often carry two up and there is a responsibility to get them home safe. Having said that on my last outing my pillion said she was in an adrenaline rush and was briefly scared, but she loved every second.

Safe riding doesn't mean boring. Wisdom is knowing when you can push the envelope without breaking it.

sometimes, fast riding is necessary to escape a hazard.,,

....unfortunately, a hazard usually created by fast riding. ....... :shock:

To paraphrase Frank Borman, "A superior rider is the one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations which require the application of his superior skills".

Edited by Anonymous

Sometimes fast riding is necessary

Agreed. Namely when I'm on my motorcycle.

Is that after you have slapped an arse or two :popcorn:

Anyway way are we bumping 18 month old threads?