Speeed...

nicklucey

What do you reckon is the kind of speeds bikers typically ride at?

Interested to see people perceptions of what is normal.

Forgetting road conditions and the 'it depends' and all that stuff what do you reckon?

Within speed limit

Speed limit + 10

Speed limit + 20

Lightspeed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we are all good law abiding citizens that would no way incriminate our selves on a public open forum :mrgreen:

max of 70mph and always withing the limit :angel12:

I may be lying I may not be! you will only know if you ride with me :wink:

I go really, really, really, really fast... on track. Otherwise I'm quite a boring old sod on the road - don't intentionally speed, always doing my shoulder checks, don't take unnecessary risks and that sort of stuff.

Please form an orderly queue to join me on a ride. :-D

we are all good law abiding citizens that would no way incriminate our selves on a public open forum :mrgreen:

Ha, yeah i thought that might be the response... that's why i asked what you reckon might be typical, rather than what you necessarily do yourself

I think you got to be sensible now a days , the golden days of bike riding in the uk on the road are gone I feel , don't get me wrong I love riding bikes but its so so easy to get points nowadays and not through excessive speeding .

Indeed. Just interested as i regularly get overtaken by other bikes, occasionally cars, in situations where I wouldn't have wanted to be going much faster. Or like you say, because i know there's often a speed cam somewhere in the local area and don't want to be taking the risk of getting tickets. Only ever ride by myself so have no perception really of what 'normal' might be for most people.

Ride within speed limits, not my choice all the time as my bike is lucky to make it much more than 65 without feeling like it's going to blow up (125cc).

This morning I went out while roads where quiet and was quiet happy taking a corner at 50mph that I usually take at 30mph in my car then some idiot boy racer thought it'd be a great idea to over take me on the corner forcing me to nearly hit the curb. Can't say I enjoyed it much so I'll be sticking to speed limits.

Its way to risky to speed points or bans would ruin my life really im a hgv driver i cant afford to do it..i just enjoy getting to the limit quickly which only takes about 3 seconds :crybaby:

This is true, and there are so many sped traps these days it's a risky business going hell for leather.

All the best biking roads have cameras on them in the summer, go to Devils bridge and guaranteed there's a mobile camera somewhere along the route, same in North Wales, Matlock, Long Hill, take your pick they all have them.

I personally never speed, honestly officer. :shock:

Zone of 30mph, 40 and 50mph are taken by me very seriously and I would not go over these limits no matter what :salute:! Any speed sign after that well :wave: Speed on twisties are dictated by the knowledge of them, weather and if I fancy...

p.s

I always fancy :D

Since the government (or whoever) decided to drastically cut back on the number of traffic officers in favour of fixed speed cameras, the message we can take from this is that its fine to go as fast as you like anywhere there isn't a camera as they are no longer actively policing the rest of the road network ;)

They are sneaky round here they have a rather nice unmarked hayabusa that likes to follow bikers, I've not been stopped by it but if he wanted to catch me he could just get off his bike and run after me

They are sneaky round here they have a rather nice unmarked hayabusa that likes to follow bikers, I've not been stopped by it but if he wanted to catch me he could just get off his bike and run after me

:scratch: You meant, wait for you :mrgreen:

You are forgetting the couple of vfr's they have too ;-)

To be fair they don't even need the bike, they could just wait for me to catch up then walk along side me

You are forgetting the couple of vfr's they have too ;-)

I've not seen them, but again they wouldn't need them to stop me. I doubt I'd pull away from the bog standard panda cars.

Not that they have any reason to stop me because I'm a law abiding citizen

Thing is its not just how fast you can actually get to its being consistent.

Why ride a road say for argument sakes like cat and fiddle flat out on the straights to have to brake heavily and constantly working to get round tje corners to accelerate and do it again in 100 yards . Why not just ride a speed that yes on the straights is slow but faster through the corners as your not having to pick up scrubbed off speed .

I could effectively ride the a272 at a constant 50-60mph on my old 240kg gtr1000 and still keep up if not pushing the plastic racing wannabees round the corners.

High speed is shortlived on any decent riding road .concentrate on being able to control whats happening on the view you can clearly see and enjoy the ride.

I have got into the habit of sticking to the limits for a variety of reasons:

1.Because I really can't be doing with all that wondering if I passed an unseen camera somewhere along the way...

2. I've had to deal with the aftermath of speeding incidents and you just think - did you really want to cause all this grief. I mean everyone's saying nice things about what a great guy you were, but deep down they're realling thinking you're a bit of prat causing all this heartache.

3. You get there just as quickly anyway. Weird how it works - but in terms of A to B it really doesn't make much difference

4. I spill cocoa on my slippers if I'm going too fast.

^^ This^^ pretty much.

I value my licence too much to risk it for ~15min of high speed fun. There are certain bits of motorway that I will do a little more on if they are quiet, and have actually been shadowed by the police while doing this. They didn't pull me or say anything about it, I suspect because it was clear I was not "being stupid". However in towns and urban areas, I stick to the speed limits. It's all too easy for something to happen and mess up your and possibly other peoples day/week/month/life.

I will admit that the ever increasing 20mph zones are frustrating though!

I need my license for my job so it's not worth the risk. Most of my riding is around town so I'm lucky if I can get over 20mph anyway and on the national speed limits I don't have the confidence or the ability to ride over them. (Not that my bike goes much over 70 anyway)

Been seen several times at seaways over the years :thumb:

I pretty much stick with 10% +2 in 50/60/70 limits and I stick to 20's, 30's and 40's religiously.

I used to do up to 20 mph over the limit in 50/60/70 where the conditions allowed and were appropriate, but you just can't get away with it anymore and the enforcement is nothing to do with road safety, it's all about numbers for the top police bod to be able to say, "we prosecuted a hundredty million speeding drivers this year, aren't we great?". The answer to which of course is driving standards in your area are f**king shocking, everyone's on the mobile phone, tailgating, ignoring right of way, undertaking, and generally either completely asleep or being an impatient knob, and by the way your drink drive statistics have gone up again this year, but you prosecuted hundredty million otherwise law abiding Joe Public for speeding because you slapped a speed trap on a perfectly safe section of straight road, where you know even your granny gains the confidence to put her foot down a bit, and go click, click, click. Well done you knob!

As you can tell it's a sore subject, as I got done a few weeks ago on the A34 for doing 84mph and have my speed awareness course coming up. That'll be 4 hours of my life I'll never get back. Dual carriageway with central barrier, bridges, slip roads and no junctions or crossings. Middle of the day, clear sunny weather, light traffic, the guy a few hundred feet in front was doing the same speed, same as the guy behind, have been for the last 50 miles. Yes there's a few short slip roads where people join without getting up to speed, particularly HGV's who can't get up to speed, but if you see one of them coming down the slip road, the conditions are no longer appropriate for 84mph and you decelerate, it's called common sense.

So unmarked police motorbike, hiding in the shadow under a bridge, saw him there and fool me starts wondering if he's OK or whether he's broken down and needs help. As I get close enough I see the tripod set up right behind the bike panniers and obscured by it's silhouette, shit, too late. Now if he'd come after me and stopped me I wouldn't mind at all, he'd have a chance to run checks, smell if there was alcohol on my breath, etc, etc, but that would take his finger of the £100 button for 20 minutes. As it was I could have passed him blind drunk, with a kilo of heroin on the passenger seat, the body of the person I've just murdered in the boot of the stolen car I'm driving, with not MOT, tax, insurance, or even a driving license. But, all that's OK, so long as when I pass that policeman I'M NOT SPEEDING, then I slip right though.

Further to all that, the dual carriageway is on the outskirts of town, so there are 20 primary schools within a 5 mile radius where you could set up a speed trap.

On Sunday I pass a speed camera van here https://goo.gl/maps/oybjiapNht92 a totally straight section of road with a 50 limit slapped on it by some bod behind a desk, when it was perfectly safe how it used to be at 60 NSL. You guessed it, 1 miles further back down the same road, is a little hamlet called Old Inns which isn't big enough to get a 30 limit, so it's 50 too. Lots of junctions, driveways, kids playing, people crossing the road https://goo.gl/maps/Q3WXu4BZCyK2 why not speed trap there where there is clearly more danger? Because people see houses and hazards and lift their foot, so you won't catch as many grannies for speeding and be able to say you wrote out a hundredty million tickets! The van is specifically placed where it catches the most drivers, not where the biggest danger is.

RANT OVER SORRY.