Bike leaning slighty to the right?

Ezikkiel

Morning all,

Hoping some of you could help me out. When I'm riding along I swear my bike leans over so slightly the right. I am convinced I am sat central and upright. I have new tyres and you can kinda see that it could be wearing on the right more than the left. But that depends on what you see I guess. Anyways anyone else have/had this? possible fixes? can bikes do this? if not then it must be me! :S

Cheers all

Is it a new bike / old bike

Possibilities

Check front forks for seal leakage

Check front suspension settings match each other

Fork oil levels mismatched

Fork internals damaged

Forks not level in the yokes

It may be a bent fork stanchion not returning fully

Brakes may be binding on one side

Bearing may be seizing on one side

It may be all in your mind

It may be that particular stretch of road

Possibilities

Fork internals damaged

2013 GSR 6000 on the clock. Did drop it at about 15 mph when I first got it. Garage 'looked' it all over and cost me 600 quid to fix so could of bent something them maybe but would have hoped they saw it? :S No leaks far as I can see. Might have to get it booked in to get the above mentioned checked out by someone who knows how to do these :) but thank you for advice :)

Right side of the tyre always wears more in the UK thanks to road camber.

I had not considered the camber causing more wear on the right side of the tyre.

I thought it was down to roundabouts! they are all right handed and I have 4on my 5 mile trip to work! My last fornt was down to limit on the right but still 2.5mm in the middle. Maybe a combination of the 2 in my case,

• 3 months later...

Could be in your head, literally. Your inner ear acts in conjunction with the visual senses so the slightest imperfection could produce the illusion that your bike is not perpendicular to the ground. I used to experience this annoying sensation from time to time back in the days when I used to drink and smoke and weigh 23 stone . Now that I'm 13 stone , don't drink or smoke and generally look after myself I don't experience this sensation anymore.

Possibilities

Fork internals damaged

When the forks are bolted together in the yokes they act as a single unit, this is why you can have some bikes with preload adjustment on one fork and rebound/compression adjustment on the other fork.

Bearings too, they are both acting on the same axle which is bolted into the forks

Brakes too, discs bolted to the same wheels, your back brake only has a disc on one side, plenty bikes only have a disc on one side at the front, doesn't cause the bike to lean.

If there was something twisted at the front end, the tyres and wheels would roll upright and twist at the steering head to compensate, so it may look like it wasn't steering straight when you look at the bars, but the bike would still be upright.

The only thing that would cause the bike to lean is a sideways force (side wind?), the riders body weight, or something putting a force on the bars or the steering head, but the latter would also cause the bike to turn as the front tyre rolled over onto it's edges (that's how countersteering works).

My tyres always wear heaviest on the nearside edge, but thats due to the fact we go clockwise round roundabouts and as Joeman says road camber.

I can't see any other reason for this, other than as said the OP's imagination.

• 4 weeks later...

Possibilities

Fork internals damaged

Its all on one axle.

If you have dropped it take the front wheel off and then loosen the pinch bolts on the yokes.

Then tighten them back up