Turning right out of a give way!

Albrynmair

Hi,

For some reason I struggle to turn right out of a give way/junction I pull up and get rather anxious about shooting across the road into the ditch :oops: when I pull up to a junction in 1st and can see enough both ways I am ok and can pull out, but when I stop that’s when it happens.

Even today I stoped and tried to pull out but had to put my right foot down to stop the bike going over. Other times I can turn right no problems!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Al

Hey Al. Try this and see if it helps: after checking the road is clear, just before you move off, turn your head to the right, and look straight down the middle of the road you're turning into. Keep looking down the road while making the turn.

I think we all end up with wierd issues in our head. The trick is to just go out and practice again and again until it becomes second nature.

Angling the bike is a good suggesting. The other - which I use with my son who has exactly the same issue as you - is to turn the bars to the right before you start off. It will force you to lean the bike and make a tighter turn and you'll be so busy doing that you'll forget to worry about the ditch etc on the other side :D

Also try not to overthink it too much but I am aware that is much easier to say than do. Once you get a few good ones under your belt it will become second nature as you won't subconsciously tense up which makes turning trickier.

We've all had issues like this - I still find I brake a hell of a lot more for right turns than lefts. Even though I am aware the bike will easily go round faster than I am taking it.

The other key thing is don't try and do too much too soon because you'll get frustrated - aim for one good turn in the next week and take it from there!

When you are turning right are you taking up a position at the extreme right hand side of your lane?

When I did my test (many moons ago) the examiner commented that riders are taught to adopt a position to the right of the lane but this has two disadvantages, 1) it means anyone cutting the corner takes you out, 2) it makes turning right harder. He advised me to forget what I'd been taught to do and to take up a position a couple of feet to the left - ie nearer the middle of the lane.

Over the years that has saved me getting swiped by cars cutting the corner, but it does also give you that bit more room - maybe it's psychological, but having a bit of space means it feels different. I still find that if I come to a tight right hand turn and I have had to take the extreme right hand position I can feel myself being more conscious of controlling the bike in the turn.

Don't be afraid to slip the clutch - bike clutches aren't like car clutches - they run in oil so slipping them doesn't cause the same wear as slipping a car clutch.

your probs overthinking it as hoggs says, i still catch myself doing the same in wet weather as im still a bit nervous it seems (crap tyres and few offs in rain apparntly have scarred my brain :P )and start to over analyse my riding once that starts, turns i can take at 40mph+ without a thought suddenly become 15mph battles of wills between me and the bike lol

Relax, practice and go with it try not to over think it :)

I used to do the exact same thing. When I'm stopped, I turn the bars slightly to the right and once ready to pull away look straight down the road where you are heading.

It's all too easy to look at what you're trying to avoid and that's exactly where the bike will go. Practice makes perfect and you'll get there :)

When you are turning right are you taking up a position at the extreme right hand side of your lane?

When I did my test (many moons ago) the examiner commented that riders are taught to adopt a position to the right of the lane but this has two disadvantages, 1) it means anyone cutting the corner takes you out, 2) it makes turning right harder. He advised me to forget what I'd been taught to do and to take up a position a couple of feet to the left - ie nearer the middle of the lane.

Over the years that has saved me getting swiped by cars cutting the corner, but it does also give you that bit more room - maybe it's psychological, but having a bit of space means it feels different. I still find that if I come to a tight right hand turn and I have had to take the extreme right hand position I can feel myself being more conscious of controlling the bike in the turn.

Don't be afraid to slip the clutch - bike clutches aren't like car clutches - they run in oil so slipping them doesn't cause the same wear as slipping a car clutch.

I do that too, fed up of the number of cars that drastically cut corners.

I'm still a newbie to motorbikes and I'm sitting on L plates, but, the one thing my instructor told me that I've always applied is "Look where you want to go and that's where you'll go" - Might be helpful to you.

I believe Roadcraft Nottingham has a video on turning your bars to face the direction you want to turn as well, that's helped me a lot as well.