DAS Training day 1 - awesome...but dropped bike!

Rodders

Yo

I had my first 4 hour session on a big bike today. I was most concerned about the slow control but the instructor gave me some great tips and time to practise on the training ground first and I was getting much more confident.

Out on the road I felt good. I was getting smooth with the controls, and felt safe in traffic, on the dual carriageways at speed, and on twisty country lanes. The tips I got from [mention]Bender[/mention] about using the rear brake for manoeuvring really helped but I still struggled with the transition between making progress and then having to crawl at junctions.

Eventually, my struggle revealed itself. At a roundabout with poor visibility, I slowed right down and was just about to ease out the clutch and roll on when a van appeared. I think I tried to put my foot down, but was so slow that I was beginning to wobble, but not slow enough that my foot was enough of a brake. I think I then pulled on the front brake, which made things even more unstable, the bike began to topple to the left and I couldn't hold it so I hopped out of the way and let it go down. It wasn't a big smash, and we all had a little giggle once the instructor realised I was OK.

I redeemed myself a little by lifting the bike back up on my own, which for a 9st 6lb weed like me is fairly impressive. I got back on, reset everything including my nerves, and then moved off smoothly again.

A little while later I did the same again when practising the emergency stop. I just didn't quite come to a standstill as I was putting my foot down, and the wobble seems to make my right foot ease off the rear brake (probably getting ready to go on the floor if I wobble that way). I'll work on it more next time.

There was an interesting moment coming through town. The other student and instructor went through a couple of roundabouts without pause, and I soon found myself a good distance behind. I wasn't worried, but at one point I lost radio contact completely. I had a realisation that I was now on the road alone. It felt good. The instructor had given me enough info that I knew where to find them, so within a few minutes I caught up as they were parked up waiting for me.

To top it off, the instructor said I did so well that she booked me in for MOD1 in a few weeks with just one more session to practise. And MOD2 provisionally booked for a few weeks after that, with no insistence on more lessons. They do 4 hour sessions each time, so on a test day there will be practise time before and after.

Absolutely stoked! :D :D :D 8-)

Nice one, mate...... 8-)

Yeah, just sounds like you need a bit more practice with the stopping bit......and getting used to keeping your right foot on the brake and putting your left foot down when you stop......but it'll come with a bit more time on the bike....... 8-)

Good luck with the MOD1. .......keep us posted...... 8-)

Glad you enjoyed it, give yourself some practice starting and stopping, even if you don't get out of first, spend an hour doing it in an industrial estate you will soon get the hang of it, then practice going as slow as you can and relax.

I dropped a bike doing my DAS training as well. I went to stop in the car park to take mY thermal lining out of my jacket because it was a really warm day, thought I'd put the side stand down (hadn't) went to get off and me and the bike both ended up on the floor, me red faced and the bike missing a foot peg and the end of the clutch lever

Sounds good Rodders,

Guess I need to find an instructor around here who does 4hourly lessons, and not book me in for 4-5 days!

Hiring out a 125 week today, so gonna spend all day on the roads practising slow control e.t.c

Sounds good Rodders,

Guess I need to find an instructor around here who does 4hourly lessons, and not book me in for 4-5 days!

Hiring out a 125 week today, so gonna spend all day on the roads practising slow control e.t.c

The school I'm with are pretty flexible, but they're defacto approach is to block book the entire course up to MOD1 at least. I just called them and said I wanted to do 1 day for an assessment of my ability and advice on how to proceed. When the instructor tried to book me in for the next sessions I said I could only do weekends unless I made special arrangement to have a day off work - she said "We'll save that for test day then, and do the lessons at the weekend". I was pleased with that. It helps that I, somehow, have taken pretty well to the whole thing so I don't need many lessons. But I take pride in my driving 'craft' and have been a driving instructor in the past so that helps too.

Hiring the 125 is a good idea, I reckon. I did that last week. Try some hill starts, and this will highlight the usefulness of the rear brake. Then try slow manoeuvres using the rear brake to help your slow control. For me the hardest bit of it all is that transition at junctions when you might stop, or you might not. It's very easy to lose balance. The tips for me are to bring your speed down to a walking pace, then use rear brake, some throttle and clutch control to creep along. Then I read a tip today which makes great sense - don't look at the floor to put your foot down, keep your eyes up and you will naturally stay a bit more level. If in doubt, a touch more rear brake and put your foot down to stop. Moving off soon gets easy enough that stopping isn't a concern.

Good luck with it, and keep us up to date.